We rooted for Venus, she was the defending champion from last year. She is quite well spoken and gracious with the press. On the court, both she and Serena are great to watch. Since I don't have much time, I'm just going to add a whole string of pictures, then a few of my observations at the end...
-- The tickets cost A LOT for center court, finals play. We were in the nosebleed section, but our tix were the biggest splurge we've had over here in the way of an "event." To even get tickets, we had to register in a lottery several months ago. Then they sent us the opportunity to get tickets, listing what our possible option would be if we choose to purchase it. We decided to do it, knowing it would be on Brian's birthday, and knowing it would be our last hoorah.
-- The audience really IS THAT QUIET! You know how they show it on television and it looks like the crowd is just hushed and awed? Well, the crowd IS really hushed and awed. In fact, there was an elevator out in the hall, around the corner, quite a ways from where we were sitting. Every time the bell would ring for the doors to open, it was actually quite annoying -- too loud! Someone's cell phone rang and people were "shshhhing" the offender.
-- Amid all the quietness, there were the occasional cheers and yells "Gooo Venus!" or "Way to go, Serena!" These were usually followed by more shshhhing. One enthusiastic fan couldn't resist shouting out "Use the force, Serena!" Even the shshhhers had to laugh at that one.
-- I was just fascinated with the ball boys and ball girls. Wow!! For those who don't know tennis (mom again?), the ball boys are the ones who get the balls off the court after each play. They are SOOOO fast, and so discreet. They have quite a system of passing balls up and down the court without getting in the way. I wonder how old they are, and how they get that job?
-- They didn't have a screen showing the "close-up" shots of the players. I really wish they would have, because it would have been nice to see the players faces as they rallied back and forth. They did at least put the final ceremony on a screen, which was nice to see.
-- During the final ceremony, the commentator asked Venus "That must be hard for your family to have both of you in the finals at once. They must be torn as to who they should cheer for." Venus replied, "Yes, I'm sure it's very hard for them. But I like to think they're secretly hoping I'll win!" It was cute.
-- We got to see Nadal practicing for the men's final. He's pretty amazing. Brian got a picture of him, somewhere above. Did anybody catch that whole match? I know it was on Sunday, but it was quite the grand finale! We saw the last 10 minutes and were glued (except for Spencer who wished he was sleeping).
-- Our babysitting cost just 5 pounds less than one of our tickets. (And I already mentioned our tickets did NOT come cheap.) Ah, the price for living the good life for a day. We really enjoyed ourselves!
5 comments:
AHHHHH!!!!!! I can't BELIEVE you went to Wimbledon!!! That is one of the coolest things you've done. I went to a match in LA, and saw the Williams sisters play. I must say Venus is so much nicer than Serena. Serena has a chip on her shoulder. Venus was really cool and was willing to just "hang out" with anyone around. Serena didn't want us
"scum" to breath her same air. I always root for Venus. It was worth whatever you paid to be there.
I am so freaking mad I didn't go to Wimbledon when I was there. Of course, I wouldn't have been able to get inside to see the Williams sisters, but it would have been cool to just sit on the grass outside, listening to the thwack! of the ball hitting the racket. I'm so jealous!
Isn't England so great? I know it's been hard to be so far away from your family and me (especially me), but when you're all old and wrinkled, aren't you going to look back on these years with so much fondness? Better stock up on the flapjacks before you leave. And bring one for me, if you wouldn't mind.
I have so much to catch up on here. A big Happy Birthday to Brian. I hope it was a fun birthday and it certainly seems like it was. Wimbledon??!!!! That is so cool! Really. I love that you splurged and did that. How fun.
I just learned to play tennis last week. I had no idea it was so hard. Now I am really impressed with the pros. One thing I don't get is why it would be a good idea to play on grass? Hmmm.
I'm glad you had a good time. Glad you are having so many good last experiences and glad you will be close soon.
So glad you're documenting your "lasts" here for us to enjoy. Wimbeldon...I'm not a tennis person, but even I know how awesome it is that you got to me there. That's once in a lifetime. What amazing experiences you'll have to look back on. I can only hope that our time in the military will take us overseas for the same experiences. :) Thanks for sharing. Now, come on home!
Kamber,
Reading about your wimbledon experience really brought me back to when LeeAnn and I came to visit and got to see wimbledon. I loved it. However one difference was that we had general admission tickets but we still had a blast! Its definitley worth it to splurge for things like that. Thats so awesome you got to see the williams sisters play! I'm jealous.
Post a Comment