Thursday, August 14, 2008

FINALLY, FINALLY online!!!!

Okay, so the first week without internet access was kind of nice. It was good to have a break, to feel like I didn't have to worry about the "outside world" for a little while.

The second week was annoying. How am I supposed to get settled in a new home, new life, new everything and no connection to the "outside world" ??! How am I supposed to keep track of all my friends and their kids and their dogs? (I really do have a friend who just started a blog for her dog, no joke.) How am I supposed to buy furniture off craigslist when I can't even get ON craigslist in the first place?!

The third week was endurable, but only for the fact that we were on vacation at the coast and fully occupied the entire time. Oh, and also for the fact that we DID Have a connection at the beach house, though I didn't have much time to log on.

Week four, and I was about to go CRAZY! You may think it sounds kind of nice. But I dare you to try it. Try to go for a week without getting online. It's a rough, tough life, I tell you. I admit, I am addicted to the internet. Not that I am a computer junkie who sits at the screen all day. Far from it, actually. But I MUST know that connection is available for me. Life just doesn't function properly without it. Are we agreed?

That said, I plan to do some catch up blogging here in the near future. But I don't know if we have lots of pictures loaded on yet, or if those will have to continue to wait. I'll give you the skinny for now, then maybe backtrack later. Today was a first "real" day in our house. We've technically been here since July 30, but the internet only got installed yesterday, so I discount pre-online time, naturally. (Also, I already mentioned the Oregon trip. which took up a lot of the first weeks. Brian is scoffing that I don't count those first days as "real" but hey, when kids are sleeping on the floor, and we're living in suitcases, I just can't feel like this is really where we LIVE yet, okay?)

We had our nephews and niece over for the afternoon today, playing hide-and-seek in our big empty rooms and tag in our back yard. (Thanks for a fun visit, John, Cooper, Ella and Seth. Sorry Seth lost his shoes, Dalana.) It was fun. It's finally starting to feel like a home now, even though we still can't decide on couches or what color of woods to use for shelves or tables or anything. We're getting there. We got a toddler bed for Sammie last night, she was thrilled. We also got bar stools and a dining set for a bargain price, though we still need to set up the table and wait for the chairs to come in. I finally got our suitcases unpacked into our closets, so at least we aren't living off the floor anymore. Brian did a huge "staples" shopping trip to stock our fridge and pantry. And I did a trip to get trash cans, rugs, broom and mop, etc. We're still waiting for our air shipment to arrive (10 days has turned into nearly 4 weeks now!! arrrg!) But we've been told it has cleared customs finally and is scheduled for delivery next Tuesday. (I whine, as that is still five days away. I have not very nice things to say about this long of a wait!)

The things I'm loving about our new home so far...
-- By far, the biggest, best bonus is living close to family. It was so fun to have nephews and niece over today. And yesterday, Sammie was thrilled when Grandpa and Grandma Bishop stopped by for a visit. I love that we got to have my parents and sibs stay with us on the way to the coast for our reunion. How wonderful it is to be able to see these people I love so much! It is worth it, for everything I miss in London. I love being home.
-- The air conditioner. I'm actually a little TOO chilly tonight. But I love that our house stays refreshingly cool while it's toasty hot outside. I like that it IS hot outside, hot enough to actually NEED our AC.
-- The minivan. Two weeks and 2000 miles after purchase, and I admit I am a fan of the minivan. Only, I don't ever actually call it that. I still can't bring myself to be labelled like that. I still say "let's get in the CAR" or "I left the phone in the CAR." Yes, I know it is a minivan, but can we please just not say the word? If we call it something different, I really, really like it so far. It is roomy, and easy to get to the kids, and we just hauled our bar stools and dining table and hutch home in it. (Two trips, but still!) I'm impressed, much more than I thought I would be. It gets pretty good mileage, too, which is very important to me.
-- Our big master bathroom/closet suite thing. It's a whole nother room, people! It's amazing!! We have this huge two-sink vanity, a big corner tub, a nice shower, separate toilet room, and walk-in closet with TONS of shelves and racks. I know this is standard equipment to all you fellow American new-home-owners. But it's NEW to me, and VERY impressive! How am I supposed to fill all those drawers and shelves!? I love it.
-- The new fridge. It was a big decision, and we opted for a side-by-side model with an ice maker in the freezer door and the water/ice dispenser in front. It's so fun to get water from the fridge, nice and cold and icy. And I am basking the HUGE amounts of freezer space. Some day I will probably be frustrated that there's "just not enough room." But for now, I'm almost giddy with the thought that we have MASSIVE bags of chicken, peas, corn, stirfry veggies, mozzeralla, etc. And still PLENTY of room to spare for whatever we fancy! It's a miracle, really. (Reminds me of the time when I was little and I really did start crying when I told my mom "I'm so thankful for refrigerators." I now qualify that with "I'm so thankful for BIG, AMERICAN refrigerators!)
-- The hardwood kitchen floor. I'm actually terrified, not knowing how I'm supposed to care for a hardwood floor. But I LOVE the look of it, and the feel of it under my feet. I want to keep it so clean and pretty. It just adds such a warm, homey feel to our kitchen. I really like it. And if anyone has tips on how to keep it looking lovely, please feel free to share.

I need to go for now. I am reading Stephanie Meyer, finally. And as many of you know, it's not easy to do "other" stuff (like blogging) when I really want to know what happens next in my book.

Later, but not too much later, I hope!

12 comments:

ManicMandee said...

You're back!!! So glad to read about you again. Looks like all is well. Congrats on everything and especially on internet. I am at least as addicted as you. Trust me.

Dalana and Mark said...

What a fun update! Thanks for taking the kids for a while yesterday (it was worth losing Seth's shoes, trust me.) I got to take care of some VT stuff and take a nice 2 hour nap and work a little bit out back all w/ out things getting destroyed while I was occupied.

We're excited to see your new furniture, we'll have to stop by your house sometime.

Sorry for encouraging the Stephanie Meyer books. I'll make sure to give you the third one next time I see you, I'm sure you'll be needing it.

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

We missed you!
I'm so glad to hear all the good news from your house! I'm especially glad you have an internet connection again! We'll have to come by and check out all the new furniture!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kam---Great to hear from you like this---and to think you're so CLOSE---Just 5 hours away!! Your Dad and I just KNEW that you were going to enjoy being in AMERICA!! :) He said several times, "Kamber is going to be surprised at how easy it is to get around with her kids, once she's able to quit all that public transit and just DRIVE everywhere she needs to go!" And it sounds like he was RIGHT!! (I knew you'd think big American Refrigerators are sure nice, TOO!)

We're happy for all the fun stuff you're getting. Setting up housekeeping turns out to be pretty exciting, eh?? It was fun to talk with you tonight (Saturday) and find out about all your OTHER new purchses! How Thrilling! We'll have to be sure and come soon and see you when you're all settled in.....sometime in the middle of September, likely. Meanwhile, we'll just talk daily on the phone---now that you've got your vonage phone all hooked up, k?? Know that you're all very loved. Love, Mom

Debbie said...

Kamber,

It is so good to know you are back. While everyone else is enjoying having you around, poor people like me are missing having you nearby. I have been checking often for updates. I am happy to know that you are enjoying being back so much. As fun sit is to be away, it is always nice to be home.

Wade Hone said...

Yay! My sister can Blog again! Wow it was fun spending time in Oregon with you and your family! I'll be driving through Boise next Wednesday or Thursday hopefully I'll get to see you then too eh?

I look forward to seeing your house stocked, it was beutiful even without 'things' in it. I really like it!

thanks for posting Kamican!

Wade -out.

Wade Hone said...

I keep looking for updates... but they keep on not being here. ... so sad.

:-(

I'm guessing that your busy busy busy.

G'luck to ya sis!!

Anonymous said...

Mom here again...Sorry you don't have time these days for more up-dates. Just know we all love you and keep thinking 'bout you. The next time you get around a nice working computer, send us all some more BLOG info---'K?

I'm sure gonna miss our calls while you are reunion-ing in Boston! But here's wishing Happy Times Ahead, to you! (especially a good flight with a somewhat sick Baby Boy....) Love, Mom

amber and james said...

Love the "books" the series is great! Thank you for the call, I can't call you back because I don't have your new number! I am glad to hear you are doing well! I hope to see you someday too! I know you know where I live now! Take care!
Love YA!

Wade Hone said...

Soooooo, when you said you had internet there at your new house .... was that metaphorically speaking perhaps?


:-P

Just kidding, I'm just posting to let ya know I check regularly for updates.

TT ya later.

Wade -out.

Debbie said...

I also keep checking for updates as to how you are doing. I understand that you are busy with all that family around and setting up your new house and are you still traveling and playing as well??? I do still miss knowing what is going on with you now that you are so far away from me. I hope that you are having a great time and you are missed!!!! :)

Jason and Kerri Allen said...

Did you fall off the face of the earth? Where did you go? I need an update on everything.