The actual move was quick and easy, but the final cleaning took MUCH longer than we expected.. two whole days! (Yeah, Joyce and Charles, go ahead and have a laugh on us!) I think it would have gone a lot quicker, except that we had both kids with us almost the whole time we cleaned. That was rough. Poor Spencer hung out on the vinyl floor with a boppy pillow and nothing else, because the movers packed every last blanket, oops. Samantha took a nap in a closet in our empty bedroom, hiding out from the vacuum. We ate bread and jam, and chocolate cake, because I had already gotten rid of all our food. I stopped counting how many times I washed the back patio doors for the "last" time... only to have Sam run her fingers and nose and tongue across it once again. Brian rented a steam cleaner for the carpets, which was heavy and hard work, and took a LONG time to use.
To top it off, I got some terrible stomach bug the night of the move. (Still can't think about that chocolate cake without cringing slightly.) We were staying with very gracious friends for those last couple nights, and I spent most of that first night laying on a towel on their bathroom floor -- some house guest, eh?! Brian cleaned the flat, delivered give-away items, and took care of me and the kids like a champ on that last Saturday. Then he spent all night that night--and I do mean ALL night LONG-- cleaning out his files and office at work, poor guy! He was even late for church the next day because of his last all-nighter at the office. -- Just a reality check as to WHY we're leaving, I guess?!
So, I write all these nasty details of the moving out stuff just to remind myself (and anyone else who may be thinking of moving) that it is NOT fun, and NOT something to do just on a whim. Ug.
The good (and sad) part was the final goodbyes with all our friends. I took so many cute pictures of people at church, I have to post some of them just because these people are so special to me, and I miss them.
Jenny (below) is expecting a boy, due in December. We are VERY excited for her, but sad she won't get to use all Sammie's hand-me-downs this round. ;)
Tanya and Michael were so good to us. Sam LOVES them, and still talks about going to Michael's house sometimes.
Josie and her darling kids -- Noah is still a favorite, and Samantha wants to go see him all the time. She does not like me to tell her it's too far.
The two Samanthas -- maybe someday they'll meet again and become great friends!
Peggy, Jean, and Margaret were three amazing ladies I visited quite regularly. I loved getting to know London through their experiences. Sam loved Peggy's ceramic dogs and stuff animal collection.
We stayed with the Leavitts those last days (they have a nice bathroom floor). Samantha fell in LOVE with them, and especially enjoyed saying "Marquita" over and over, even though I told her to call her Sister Leavitt.
The flight was much easier than some others we've taken, probably because we were all so wiped out. Also because we had an overnight stop in San Diego. We got to stay with our friends Anne and Rob, who have two boys about the same ages as our kids.Anne was my pregnant buddy in London for awhile before they moved, and their boy, Drew is just two weeks younger than Spencer. The boys were thrilled to meet, as you can tell...
Samantha and Brock had a blast playing with all Brock's toys. Sam talked about him for days after we left.

We also took in a quick visit to San Diego Zoo, so fun! It was just long enough to make me want to spend A LOT more time in San Diego. What a GREAT place. Anne and Rob made a smart choice moving there, I think.
One more trip to the airport, one more time for Sammie to carry her little blue suitcase with the bees. And finally, we made it home, safe and sound.
And EXHAUSTED!!!
1 comment:
Wow Kam--What a Wonderful, Wonderful TIME you had while in London!!! What Fantastic MEMORIES you made!!!! (I LOVE things that "make memories", and you had so MANY of them!!) What CHOICE friends you discovered!!
I'm sad that that "era" of your life is all over. (...I think it actually has to be a bit LONGER in order to be an "era"......) :) I AM sad for you that part of that memory-making is over, but I'm DELIGHTED to have you back in our area. It's so fun to know we can actually see each other kinda OFTEN!
Thanks for taking the time to write all those things about your last days there. That was fun to read. Those pictures are great, too! YOU sure look cute in that one of you with Sammie on your shoulders at the San Diego Zoo. And in years to come, Sam will enjoy seeing herself dragging her little blue suitcase in an airport....It will be a nice reminder to her as to why she has scillions of stamps on her passport! Right??! And your previous posts on your blog will be a nice reminder to YOU, and to all of us. Thanks, Kam, for taking the time to let us experience all those exciting places through your posts!! I think you are a Marvelous Daughter!! Lots of Love, Mom
Post a Comment