Monday, August 31, 2009

Babysitting

I now value adult conversation a little bit more than I did before this week. I'm babysitting my brother's four kids, with my two as well. We're staying at their house so their kids can go to school, etc. Brian is at home, working on stuff, so I'm solo here for now. For the weekend, we went to my parents' house. Then came home to the kids' house last night.

Today is Day #3. Looong day. I feel like a bad mom, and a bad aunt. I don't like being the "enforcer." Who knew it's such hard work to get kids to do their homework? or eat a few bites at dinner? or do their hair before school? or most everything "the mom" is supposed to do as far as "enforcing the rules/schedule"? I seriously feel like the bad guy, no matter what I do. I keep reminding myself my job is to keep them safe, and happy. (I write as one one-year-old is bawling, one three-year-old [sammie] is trying to rollerskate up the stairs, the other one-year-old is attached to my knees [spence], one five-year-old is mad at me for life because I asked her to eat two bites besides her chicken nuggets at dinner, and one seven-year-old is depressed because Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles is over. I think the other 3-year-old is currently okay, but he's upstairs so who knows??)

Ah, well, this is all very interesting. An experience, as Brian would say. Oh no, they all escaped to upstairs, unsupervised. I better go. And to think, I used to be set on having 6 kids! Dream fulfilled...
xx

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on my way.....

ManicMandee said...

I got a kick out of this post. Story of my life.

Karen said...

You're doing GREAT, Babe!! Just hang in there. Think frequently of your Aunt Ruth and remember that she had SIX kids when the oldest had just barely turned SIX!! Wouldn't that be something to have to deal with taking care of them like that EVERY DAY for the rest of LIFE?? (think about those Teen-Age years....!) I look forward to seeing you Friday!! Love, Mom

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness! There is no way I could handle even one day. At this point (very pregnant) I feel like I can't even handle my own kids and life. You are a VERY GOOD aunt for taking this on. They will remember it fondly I'm sure. And then you'll get to enjoy Blaine and Lisa taking your kids!! Yeah! Best of luck to you. I'm very impressed that you are doing this all on your own. Wow!!! I'm sure there is no time to talk on the phone, but I would LOVE to talk some more. Stay happy, you're doing great!

Mel said...

Just remember, when they are yours, they (usually) come one at a time. And also, when they are yours, they are used to your rules and the way you do things. I think those two things are the hardest about watching other peaople's kids. Especially since you are at their house. The only thing that seems different is who is in charge, but in reality because your there, not mom and dad, everything is different. And that is hard on kids. Good Luck this week, like you said your job is to keep them safe and happy. The second isn't always easy, but keep up the good work.

Elieson Family said...

My kids know the rules, for sure, but they don't follow/keep them worth beans. I've struggled with that role of being enforcer in our family as well. I thought I would be the sweet little wife, but no, I'm dragon-mommy most of the time. Keeping them safe, teaching them responsibility, respect and the gospel. It's hard. It's not rewarding all the time. But let me say Salem spent the night at someone's house last night, came home today and gave me a big hug, telling me how much she loved and missed me. We're doing the right thing. Even when it stinks. I call it being a referee. That's at least what it feels like - just blowing the whistle, calling fouls, kicking people out of the game etc.

Lhone said...

man, sorry it sucked so bad. It sounded like you had a rough time of it, even Brandon said you kept saying that you weren't handling things. He felt bad, if that is any consolation. They're alive, though, so all is well, right? Sorry they weren't better for you.

Anonymous said...

life insurance quotes chemotherapy for mesothelioma

Anonymous said...

auto insurance california cause of mesothelioma