I thought I'd show some pictures, and a few details as I go along. So, here's my little fan club. It was raining throughout the race. And I think Sammie was more interested in her princess umbrella than she was in the race, who can blame her?!
Me in the water. I forgot to put on my goggles until about 3/4 the way through. By then they were so foggy I didn't really use them anyway. I was worried the water would be really cold, especially with the rain. But it was actually a really nice temperature and not too dirty, either.
Coming out of the water, I was still smiling. I was one of the last to finish the swimming. I just can't swim with my head under the water, so I was pretty slow. Plus, I pulled something in my shoulder a few weeks before the race, and it was (and is) still bothering me. Oh well.
Biking was a nice relief after swimming. It was a little chilly, but not too bad. Lots of the men from the division that started just after me passed during the bike section. They all had road bikes and were spppppeeeeding along. I was on a mountain bike, and was not about to take a spill on one of the corners, especially with the rain!
Running was good, though my legs were pretty shaky after the bike ride. I was able to pass several people from my division while biking and running, which was nice. I remembered Scott Buchanan's advice of picking out a person in front of me and working hard to pass them. My nemisis was Braid Girl, who I passed, then she passed me while I was messing with my time chip for a second. I worked really hard to pass her again, and finally did.
Across finish line, and feeling good about it! Yay, I'm the winner. ha!

My friend, Angela, after she finished. Funny thing, we registered separately and ended up in separate divisions. So, she started and ended 20 minutes before me. Oh well. It was better because she actually went faster than I did and didn't have to feel bad about ditching me. ha!

It was a short race, as far as triathlons go... 1/4 mile swim, 6 mile bike ride, 2 mile run. It was a good first race for me. I've always wanted to run in a race, and now I have achieved that little goal. It took me 1 hour, 13 minutes. Not a great time, as far as racers know. But it was good enough for me!
12 comments:
Kamber, you are so inspiring!! I TOTALLY want to do this now! Wish you guys lived near by so I could train with you!!
ps - just recently made a connection with a fellow MBA spouse whose sister-in-law married your brother (I think that was the relation, anyhow!) Her name is Heather Hatch -- small world!
That is wonderful Kamber! Great job! I'm envious :)
That is fantastic, Kamber! Good going.--timo
Good for you. Awesome job.
That sounds like the perfect sized race. I am so frustrated. I have "trained" for a 5K (3.2 Miles)for a WHOLE YEAR! And, next month I plan on walking it. So pathetic.
You're hot in that tank top! AND you're amazing. I just don't have any energy/time/desire/babysitter/well that's enough, you get it:)
Wow Kam--Thanks for the pictures!! We're really proud of you for attempting (and COMPLETING!!) such a race. You did GREAT!! I was worried about your swimming--with that shoulder hurting like that, but you DID it!! We look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks. Love, Mom
Hey--isn't it nice that your friend Lisa Michelle (commenting above) met Heather Hatch?? Are they all in Hawaii??
Kamboni,
I'm so proud of you! And totally impressed. You won't catch me doing that any time soon. Good on you!
Randilicious
That is just fantastic! I would LOVE to have done that with you!! Way to go!
I've got a goal just like that. So right now as I write to you, I'm thinking what things I have to get in order to start training. First! Babysitters... Second! More babysitters... okay, half way there.
What an inspiration, thanks Kamber!
Kam - you go girl! You are awesome. I am very impressed and inspired. - Ker
YOU ARE AWESOME! You look so cute in your swim hat! I am so proud of you, good job. I would like to say I might follow in your footsteps, but I don't like to make false promises! I will cheer for you though! I loved talking to you! LOVE YA!
KAMBER!! YEAH!!! How fun! That really looks like such a fun thing to do. And how great that you did it! I know I'm slow to say Congrats, but we've had a lot going on (family in town) around here. I still feel the same excitment as I would have had I been there though. I'm so proud of you. You look GREAT! REally, you look super cute in your swim hat and stuff. And I bet you feel great for having done such a thing. I would love to do the same . . . one day. Maybe I'll try to go through the marathon of delivering a baby first though. Good for you! Congrats.
Post a Comment