Monday, November 02, 2009

Happy November!

Stop me if I've mentioned before (I think I have, actually). Brian and I play this game where we race to see who's first to remember to wish each other a Happy November -- or whatever month it happens to be. He waited until 12:01 a.m. Sunday morning (or really late Halloween night) and got the honors this month. Just a fun little celebration of a new month. yay.

Anyway, so, we had a lovely Halloween, spent the evening gorging ourselves on chocolate and candy, like the rest of the nation. We did the NEW traditional "Trunk or Treat" at the church parking lot. Both kids made off with bundles of candy in a record time of 42 minutes flat. Then we came back home and did the OLD traditional "Trick or Treat" around the neighborhood. (But Sammie kept mixing it up and saying "trunk or treat" at each door. She actually thought we were ridiculous when we told her it's "TRICK or treat."... I guess old traditions are dying?)

Still no camera, and not a single picture of our darling trick-or-treaters. (or TRUNK or treaters?) But maybe I'll try to recreate the moments when we DO get a camera (which may be very soon, let's get excited!!) Even if no pictures are forthcoming, I'm sure you can imagine how adorable our little pumpkin Spencer was... black corduroy pants and a pumpkin jacket with stem hood.
I painted a black triangle on his nose, and two above his eyes, so he looked like a little jack-o-lantern. Truth be told, he acted more like a grizzly bear, he was so grumpy! At the church party, he double-fisted two suckers, and that sort of kept him from crying that Mom was holding his basket of candy. Then, the first two houses we went to for trick-or-treating, he went barging right into our neighbors' living rooms, and kicked a big fit when I dragged him out of their houses. He was stroller bound for the rest of the neighborhood, and whined about it a lot.

Samantha was a VERY happy little barbie fairy princess butterfly. She lost her wings half way through the night, and just decided to be Cinderella after that. She was really good at saying thank-you, and loved all the "cute" comments about her costume. Our next door neighbor, Mrs J, is in her 80s. She was especially excited to see Sammie, and made a big fuss over both kids, which we all loved. (What parent doesn't enjoy the doting grandparent figure?)

We had an "after" party at our house, with Mark and Dalana's family, Reed and Alysa's fam, and another cousin, Amber, with her kids. Fun to see all the kids' costumes, and get a chance to visit while Brian was home. I made caramel corn and fudge, which my stomach is still not appreciating. ug. Between the rest of the group, we also had pumpkin pie, hot cider punch, cookies and cake -- not to mention the heaps of candy from all the trick-or-treating! whew!

Good times. After living in London, I still feel like I'm warming up to the Halloween holiday. It's just not a big deal over there. But I'm liking it more, I decided. Only, now what do we do with soooo much candy? My kids really don't need it, and I, of course, have resolved to be good once again (while my stomach is still recovering!)

And on to November. Is anyone else appreciating the riddance of daylight savings?! I certainly AM!!! I know, I know, it gets dark so early now, which is not fun. But it also is LIGHT again in the mornings, and the sun is actually UP before 8 a.m. That's worth appreciating, in my book. Plus, we got that extra hour Sunday morning, which we used to full advantage, lazily sleeping until... well, I don't remember, but it was lovely. Hats off to the new time zone!

Bye for now. And Happy November to you! (I got you this month! ha!)

3 comments:

Lhone said...

Fun that Brian is around! sounds like a full day! Good luck on finding a camera.

ManicMandee said...

miss you guys!

Karen said...

Happy November to YOU from US!! (Dad got me again this month...) Your trick-or-treating night sounded really fun, and I would LOVE to have seen the adorable little 'dolls' all in costume. Maybe I can see them tomorrow night when I'm there...I'm betting Sammie will gladly don her fancy attire again, eh??!

And I'm with you on appreciating this new time--I LOVE it! Because it got dark so early and was dark for so long, we even almost headed to bed at 9:30 last night! Wouldn't THAT be something!! Love. Mom