Let me paint the picture... Me. With just a purse and coat at the airport. Those who travel with children know the immense sense of freedom I was feeling setting off on the trip. No car seats and 20 bags to haul and check. No stroller to fold down at the security gate. No wild one-year-old running through the metal detector. No "taste testing" of a bottle of milk. No rummaging through a bag of diapers, wipes and fruit snacks to find my boarding pass and ID. Wow! I actually slept on the airplane! And it's only an hour-and-a-half flight. Imagine.
Now, don't get me wrong. I missed my kids, and brought back special presents for them, talked about them every few minutes of the trip, etc. But I was also very appreciative of the break, and very aware of all the extra freedoms and indulgences of going sans children. (Like sitting in the hot tub at 11 p.m., keeping the TV on at a regular volume past 9 p.m., staying at the beach a little longer even though we were both getting hungry... luxuries that just don't happen when travelling with kids, right?)
So, we got a great hotel deal, down in Sunnyvale, near where Brian was working. Soooo cute! It wasn't the fanciest place, but it was all decked up like some Mediterranean resort... little extras like bamboo chairs, a colorful canopy over the bed, and darling little courtyards between each block of rooms....
First night we ate at a great Middle Eastern restaurant that Brian has been to a few times. Delicious. Didn't bring the camera, or you'd have great pictures of a fabulous platter of hummus, tabbouleh, stuffed grape leaves, falafel, yogurt-mint-cucumber salad, and some raisin-cinnamon/rice dish with eggplant and cauliflower. Wow! That was delightful!
Saturday... well, we had plans of going into San Fran, riding the trolleys, visiting Chinatown, and going to all the touristy spots. But then I had the bad-back problem. Oh well. Plan B: Golden Gate park, then hit the beach, go up the coast, visit a lighthouse. It was perfect.
Me and Golden Gate Park...
The Bridge...
Us and the Bridge, after crossing and driving up a very winding highway with fantastic views of the bay and bridge and coast...
Best shot of the Bridge and the City. Isn't San Francisco just an amazingly beautiful city? I love seeing it from "above" like this. So gorgeous! (Zoom in for a better view, if you like.)
We drove out to Point Bonita Lighthouse. Very cool. I got a little book of 101 Hikes around SF area... found it at a thrift store here in Idaho, just the day before I left. It suggested this lighthouse as a fascinating spot to visit -- only open Saturdays and Sundays from 12:30 to 3:30. How convenient for us; we crossed the Golden Gate at noon, and headed on over. yay!
The literature about the lighthouse said it was the first one built near the Bay, and before it was built (1848) they had tons of shipwrecks during the fog. Also inside, there was a little write-up about the bay and the bridge, with this interesting little diagram...
I can't remember exactly how DEEP it said the water is under the bridge, but let's just say there's a reason that's a suspension bridge, rather than a bridge with a post or two stretching a few hundred feet down there! Interesting, to me at least.
Best part, the waves. We watched the waves roll in right by the lighthouse for over an hour, I bet. They were humongous. Gigantic. If I believed in the word (which I don't, btw), I'd even say gi-normous. Anyway, they were amazing to watch. Massive barrels, perfect crests, crashing and splashing right underneath our little perch up above. Lovely, lovely ocean.
The suspension bridge to get out to the lighthouse is not for those who have a hard time with heights. It's a little rickety, and there's a sign saying they plan to replace it soon because it's not the sturdiest, safest bridge.
After the lighthouse, we drove around on the far side of the bridge for awhile... loved the darling little town of Sausalito. (I got mixed up and called it Sausagito, which we now prefer.) And then, back to do some of the more touristy things. Like Lombard Street....
Super-dooper steep Hyde street...
We ended the evening with a walk around Fisherman's Wharf, and a trip to In-n-Out Burger -- my first time. (I hate to admit, I wasn't all that impressed. Sorry all you Cali folk!)
That's all for now, folks. Stay tuned for Sunday's festivities, coming up next!
8 comments:
You don't like IN-N OUT? That's it, I'm not even reading your blog any more! hee hee
sounds like a fun trip. blaine and I will have to hit that lighthouse some time. looked fun.
Looks like fun. But next time you go to In-N-Out, get it "animal style" It really is better. It's not on the menu, but they cut up all the toppings and mix them together. Very Yummy!
Oh Kam--Your trip sounded JUST RIGHT!! You did LOTS in that "Friday to Monday" trip, and I'm DELIGHTED that you got to go!! I'm sorry your BACK let you down right there at the last, but it sounds like (and looks like...) you did great things with the time you had, and I'm SO GLAD you got to go. I'm SURE it brightened up Brian's weekend, too! Love, Mom
Mel, we tried animal style. Still not that impressed. I will say, the toasted bun was fab. But the rest, just so-so.
Okay Kamber, I want to
A)Travel without kids
B)Have alone time with Michael
C)Visit the west coast.
Great, I was doing very well with my "thou shalt not covet" thing, and now I totally want to do what you did!
It all looks so familiar! I love San Francisco. I am glad you got to have a fun trip just the two of you.
Jason ran a race up at Muir beach this past weekend. Its right across the GG bridge. So we almost crossed paths this weekend! Looks like you had a great time. Where is the place in Sunnyvale that you stayed. It looks cute. We just moved from Santa Clara, right next door to Sunnyvale. Let me know next time you are in town :)
What, you came all the way to San Francisco and you didn't even visit me!! I'm hurt ;) Just kidding. It is so nice to get a break without the kids. I havn't done a trip with Brian without the kids since our honeymoon. Sad! But I have done a couple by myself which have been very lovely. I hope you all are doing well, and that Brian gets to come home soon.
Candice
Post a Comment