Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ode to the Wind

The Wind -- a poem of alliterations

The whispering of the winter wind
Went wailing down the winding road.
Whistling and whimpering,
It wound around the bitter cold.
And all the while it blew and grew,
All the while it blew and grew.

It wove around the weathered wasteland,
Wavering and wandering,
Whirling, whipping, whickering,
Slithering and squandering.
And all the while it blew and grew.
All the while it blew and grew.

by Kamber Hone
1992

So, it's not my best work ever, but I got an A on it, way-back-when. I think of it every time it gets soooo windy here -- like last night. I thought our roof might blow off, or at least our doors sounded like they might blow open. It's much calmer this morning, but I had to put up my post anyway. I'm sure the wind will be back soon. I mean, it IS January, right?

Speaking of January, confession coming... January is my least favorite month of the year. Surprised? I bet I'm not alone, really. I try not to think about it or admit it, but it's just a downer for me. Especially the last part of January. So bleah. We've actually planned January getaways in the past, and that really helps.

This year we're planning to go to the Winter Ice Festival up in McCall next weekend. (It's the same one we went to last year, if I could link to it, I would... it's AWESOME!) We've booked a cabin for a few nights, and invited some family to join us if they can. Fun! So, that's keeping the "bleah" of January at bay for me this year. Actually, I really can't complain. I mean, we aren't even suffering from "the Inversion" so far this winter. There's still sunshine (despite the wind), and the kids' fevers are gone. Well then ... Roll on, Frigid January!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for trashing the month I was born (and especially for the dig about the end of January, right around my birthday)!--timo

Anonymous said...

BTW, that was mostly sarcastic. One can never tell with comments--timo

Kam said...

ha! Oh, I got the sarcasm there, believe me. And, of course you know I offer much sympathy for you and all the rest of my friends who had the misfortune to be born in cold, yucky January. ;)

Lhone said...

january stinks. hee hee...glad your kids' fevers are gone.

Mel said...

I'm with you. I think it must be coming off the high of the holidays. And as for the wind, you do realize you live in Idaho, right? jk I hate it when it blows like that. It's kind of creepy.

Karen said...

Cute poem, Kam. I remember you writing that one, way back when... Do you remember your "Plight of the Rock" poem? Maybe you'll want to "publish" THAT one sometime, eh??

Sorry, Tim, about your birthday month having to be JANUARY! But it gives you something 'exciting' to look forward to--right?? My sister Kathy celebrates FOUR of her family's birthdays in January--including her husband's--and she says it keeps her from GETTING the "January Blah's"!

I'm glad, Kam, that you all get to go to the Winter Ice Sculpting Contest. It sure sounds FUN!! Lots of good wishes to you on this nice January week-end. Love, Mom

Alicia said...

I have to admit that I am really liking January. I do understand the dislike of the month because I don't love the cold or the darkness, but I LOVE that there is nothing to do (relatively speaking). I feel like the summer was go go go, then we had a baby in the fall and November/December were CRAZY! So much to do to celebrate and prepare for the holidays. I was really very excited when all the family went home (I do love them) and we were here in our house, just us with nothing much to do. It's cold so we don't go out much. We invite friends over to play. There are good shows on TV. I bought three new books to read. And I am really enjoying just slowing down (a little) for the slow, cold, boring ole' month of January.

It is windy though and I loved your poem.