Monday, June 14, 2010

Up and Down

For some reason, blogging just isn't my thing right now. Terrible, huh? I mean, I have hundreds of pictures that I'd like to have posted, just so I can enjoy looking at them and remembering a lot of fun things we've been doing around here lately.

But --- [big, long, involuntary sigh]. It just isn't happening.
Sorry.

Today is a down day for me. Probably a day I'd be better off steering clear of the blog, or the computer in general. Especially when I've been offline for ages. Yesterday was a down day too. And Saturday was an "on-the-way-down" day, if that makes sense to anyone?

But see, before the "down" time, I was having an incredible surge of "up-ness." For several days in a row, I was energetic, productive, and pretty much on top of things around here. (Except for blogging, of course.) I felt really good, I was sleeping good, and just getting so much done.

The short list of things I got done while I was "up":
-- cleaned out the fridge
-- did a major grocery shopping trip
-- cleaned out the laundry room (a major accomplishment, as it hasn't been cleaned for about a year -- the DEEP kind of clean-out)
-- swept and sprayed down the back porch for cobwebs
-- took the kids to the library, paid our fine for the book we lost last December, and renewed our card so we can start borrowing again.
-- picnic lunch at the park. TWICE in a row!
-- cleaned out all FOUR of our kids' toy boxes,
-- bought and planted REAL flowers in our pots in front of the house (so the silk flowers can stay in storage until some other unproductive time, I hope!)
-- got up and went walking with a friend three different times at 6:30 a.m.
-- read multiple books, multiple times on multiple days with my kids, even helping Samantha to sound out the letters on some of them!
-- visited our aging neighbor (something I've said I need to do every day for the last five months or so)
-- did a real princess hair-do on Samantha.
-- cleaned out the tupperware cupboard and the canning jars/toaster cupboard.


Whew! Can you believe I felt so accomplished as I climbed into bed several nights in a row?! -- with a smile on my face!!?

Well, right now, on my not-so-uppity day, just writing the list is making me tired. I guess the ups and downs are necessary -- one helps me appreciate the other, right?

But then, my "wondering" of the day is the same thing I've wondered countless times before, on countless down days in my past: why don't I just go ahead and CHOOSE to be "up," instead of feeling all grumpy and irritable and sludgy-- yes, sludgy describes it pretty well. See, just last night I was reading through an old journal, one that I wrote way back in college, more than a decade ago. Can you believe, I was struggling with the very same "wondering!??" I stated it a bit differently there, eventually vowing to do better at just being happy all the time whether I felt like it or not.

But as I read through more journal pages, I could see my resolve didn't really change my mood or my frustrations at the time. And I pretty much just had to weather the down days and try to find things to be grateful for, keeping me feeling somewhat positive, despite the haze. Not much has changed in all these years, I guess! It just seems to be a cycle I go through... a challenge I still haven't learned how to deal with properly. Hmm...

I guess life continues through the down days, too, right? And yes, I'm still accomplishing things, though they don't seem quite so fulfilling today:

-- showered and dressed and didn't forget to put on my wedding rings.
-- made our bed, and Samantha's too.
-- washed and dried a load of laundry, including Spencer's indispensable blanket.
-- held and comforted (and threatened to spank) a screaming, inconsolable Spencer who would NOT be placated, the ENTIRE time his blanket was in the wash. (actually Brian helped with this for awhile until he had to leave)
-- watered the tomatoes that are sitting on the counter, still waiting to be planted.
-- indulged the kids with chocolate milk and Doritos as part of their lunch.

Well, that's my feel-good list for today. And maybe tomorrow I'll get back on top of my game! Then, maybe, just MAYBE, I'll blog for REAL!

:)

10 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Kamber,
I hear you on the down days. I have them far more often than I'd like. Days like that are hard. I'm especially thankful on days like that that when I get grumpy, Reed encourages me to go out and do whatever it is I've been wanting to do on my own while he watches Aftyn. That always makes me feel better.

Jeni said...

Oh sweet Kamber...sorry, but these down days will just come...it comes with the territory of making your little miracle. If you don't suffer with these moods when you're not making a baby, count yourself as one of the lucky ones. Learning to master our moods is so much of the reason we are here are on Earth, I believe. Give yourself days to be unproductive and wallow, then you won't feel bad about when you do. You're a great mom and wife! Don't beat yourself up! Growing a baby is hard, exhausting work, especially when you're chasing around after two other young'uns. Read this post from when I was pregnant with Elyse, almost a year ago to the day. Hopefully it will make you feel better. Hope your tomorrow is an up day. :) Love you! http://rolltideennisfamily.blogspot.com/search?q=depression

ManicMandee said...

I'm currently having a down day and appreciated you talking about yours. Earlier I had got done reading a blog post from a friend who blogged all about her perfectly organized house and cleaning schedule and I have felt worthless ever since. Thanks for being mortal!

Your Mom Karen said...

My dear little DOWN Girl: You are very LOVED, and your dad and I think you are a TERRIFIC Daughter!! We've talked lately, too, about what a GOOD Wife and Mother you are, and you are so VERY Accomplished!! (I know you don't think so on your 'down' days, but you ARE), so---Buck up little Camper! You're gonna be FINE. Those "UP DAYS" are just around the corner!

It's nice for you to share your discouraged times for all of us, though, or else we might just think you always live a life of ease and luxury!! :) Lots of Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sis-
WHAT DOES IT MEAN THAT WE'RE BOTH DRIVING MINI-VANS AND ON OUR THIRD KID???

hang in there---it sounds like tife to me:)
are you coming this way any time soon??? I need another 3 am talk!! Hand in there****i love ya

Mel said...

I think your right that we need to have a down day (or two, or ten)to help us appreciate the up days. And quite frankly I'm impressed with your list of what you got done while "down". That's not an easy accomplishment. Hang in there. Life goes on and will head up soon.

Dalana and Mark said...

Oh Kamber, I feel so bad! I tried to call you, but didn't get you this morning. Sorry you're still feeling kind of gloomy. No fun! Is there anything that I can do that will help?

Wade Hone said...

I think I found your problem sister Kamber.... I read the following in the list of things that you did on your 'up time'...

"-- got up and went walking with a friend three different times at 6:30 a.m."

wha wha WHAT!

there is Karmic Balancing that must go on in this world my dear, and if you go and challenge the fates with such audacious behaviour, unfortunately you must pay the price.... *( :-P J/K )

thanks for posting, sis, Gratz on finding out your gonna have a daughter... I probably heard that earlier, but I'm not sure I commented on it... pretty fun!!

love ya sis!

Alicia said...

I'm here. I'm here. Really I am. I guess I'm not so good at checking other people's blogs just like you haven't been blogging. I was glad to see this one, but certainly not glad to see your having a down day. I'm sorry. I agree with Jeni, I think that comes with being pregnant, mooody and tired. It's ok to have a down day, just use it to slow things down a little and relax oh and eat chocolate.
I love you. I'm still dying to talk to you. I'll call today with a few good jokes. I hope your up days are coming soon.

Nunu Thunder said...

Hey Kam, don't get all down. I caught up with your blog this evening and it's great to find out how you are all doing, including the new baby! I've been the proper wifey these last few weeks since Henry hurt his knee. Will it cheer you up to know that he has abandoned one of his crutches and started doing more chores since he discovered the pile of ironing I had stashed in the airing cupboard thinking he'd never look there while recovering from surgery? He was wondering where all the t-shirts had disappeared to! NunuThunder is working on her next post. Maybe reading that will amuse you! Lots of love, H&H