Friday, May 25, 2012

Climbers

My kids climb the door frames...
 Incessantly...
 They even have to have a "last climb" before bed...
It all started with a blog, actually. They saw pictures on my sis-in-law's blog (Thanks, Melissa!), where their two cousins were climbing the door frames. Well... it took less than a week for Samantha to master the climb. And Spence had it figured out after two weeks. Now, it's all I can do to get them to stay down. We actually had to make a rule about it: No climbing after dinner and before bedtime.

Secretly, I think it's super cool that they have the strength and agility to keep themselves up there like that. And not so secretly, I find it annoying to have a child perched in the doorway I'd like to walk through, every other minute of the day.

Any idea how long this climbing phase will last? anyone??
Well, for while it's here, we should all remember that Samantha does NOT like being called Spider Girl (or Girl Spider, as Spencer says), or "any name that is not my own," she reminds us.

3 comments:

Karen, Kam's mom said...

Great strength builder!! Cute kids!! I think that phase lasts about 2 months--but the urge comes and goes as on-lookers encourage showing-off--especially if new "interested" cousins come on the scene. An audience seems to make the urge re-surface through the years ahead.

I've got a picture of Lance doing that when he was 5, and I showed it to Ryan when HE was 5, so he eagerly stripped off his socks and gave it a try--proving to Grandma that HE could do whatever his DAD could do! (Go ahead and let 'em do it--it's good for the Ego!) :) Love, their Grandma

Mel said...

Super sorry about that! Just be glad Natalie doesn't try to pull them down. That pretty much stopped my kids. HP's arms and legs aren't quite long enough so he just pulls the other two down. That has actually calmed the urge. Now they just do it occasionally. But I"m sure once HP can join them it will start back up again. Especially since there are four doors at the end of the hall that are all near each other

Lhone said...

I put the kibosh on that one. Too many nasty looking doorways from all the feet and finger prints. And, they kept landing on Brie. I'm the meanie mom. You're nice for letting them do it.