Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Things to remember

In all my recent sluggishness, it's obvious I'm not blogging much. But also, I might as well confess that I'm not journaling much these days. So, I'm not keeping track of some of the sweet things that I'd like to remember about my kiddos at this age and stage. I thought I'd do a quick update on each of them, so I'll at least remember some of their cutenesses right now, and maybe some of you who don't get to see them so much will enjoy hearing their latest?

Natalie -- almost 20 months
She's finally getting those two front teeth! Yay! And, she's finally learning to actually say the word "teeth" as well. She's been our late bloomer, as far as talking goes. She still only has a few words, but she's starting to pick up new ones now, which is exciting. For the record, here's what Natalie can say:
thank you (when you hand her something, or when she hands you something)
bye-daddy (she says this most times anyone is leaving)
hi (only to the telephone, not to real people)
eye (sounds a lot the same as "hi" but she says it when she points at her eye) \
out (new, as of this weekend. She says it when she wants out of her high chair)
dit-do-dat (her own word for peek-a-boo)
mama (she CAN say this, only she hardly ever will)
baby (she's really only said this once or twice, but I count it, because she definitely knows what it means)
uh-oh (her official first word, back at 10 or 11 months)
butterfly (she has butterfly stickers on her wall, and likes to point at them. sounds more like "bubba-eye)
 When Natalie gives kisses, she opens her mouth wide, gets a firm lock on my cheek, and blows hard till she gets a nice raspberry noise. If she doesn't get a good noise, she keeps trying until she gets it to work. It's the cutest thing ever, and she's starting to lose it now. I've tried getting it on video, but no luck yet. If both Brian and I are around when she's in the "kiss" mood, she'll take turns giving us both kisses back and forth, over and over again.
She loves her nursery class at church. What a blessing! I know so many parents struggle with getting their kids to go into nursery and like it. We've been very blessed to have kids who really enjoy it right from the start. Since starting nursery (the end of March), she's learned to be very still during prayers, and folds her arms nicely.

Natalie also love all things "Hello Kitty" and tries to confiscate any Kitty gear she finds/see. We indulge her, when we can. :) She also loves to sing and hum. Yesterday we were at a friend's house, and I told the kids it was time to clean up. She started right in singing (babbling in tune) the "clean-up, clean-up, everybody everywhere!" song. She also likes "twinkle-twinkle" and sometimes "I am a Child of God."

When she doesn't get her way, she screams like a banshee. A lot. My mom suggested masking tape over her mouth. ha! Any other more suitable ideas, anyone?? (Mom, you're welcome to defend yourself. heeeheh)
\

Spencer -- 4 yrs, 3 months
"Mom?"
"What, Spencer?"
"I love you."
"I love you too, Spence. Thank you for telling me."
We have this conversation probably five to ten times every day. It truly melts my heart. Of course, there are times it seems like he's just finding words to fill up the silence between us. But usually, it seems pretty sincere to me, and I love it. I know it won't last forever, so I'm soaking up all the affection I can from my little four-year-old buddy. He also tells me, "Mom, I'm a good boy" at least a couple of times a day."

The other night, as I was tucking him in bed he told me, "Mom? I love you. I'm a good boy." I hugged and kissed him, and reassured him that yes, he is a good boy. Then he put his arms around my neck, held me close and said, very seriously, "Mom, do you know why I tell you I love you AND tell you I'm a good boy at the same time??" I asked him why. He looked around with his most studious, serious look, then creased his eyebrows in deep thought. "Ummm.... well... um. Just because, I do." Typical Spencer. He makes me laugh a lot right now, funny, sweet kid.

In his not-so-sweet moments lately, he has told me "I WON'T go in time out!" and "You can't MAKE me!" and "YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME!!!" I have politely (and sometimes vigorously) contradicted him on all counts.
Spencer taught himself to read. It's true! He can read the little "Bob" books by himself now. He gets tired easily, and doesn't really like to be pushed to practice, but he's sounding things out, and making some good progress... and we didn't really even teach him at all. It was his own initiative. Pretty cool, eh?! We're really excited about this!

Spencer loves to be Natalie's Big Brother. He really does worry about her if she's getting into trouble or looks like she might get hurt. And he is extra soft and gentle with her at bedtime. I usually rock her for a few minutes before I put her in her crib. Spence sits in her room with me and always has to give her a goodnight kiss... on the hand. That's his thing -- he kisses her hand. It's so routine now, that when her rocking time is over, she holds out her hand to him, and he comes over for his kiss. Too cute.

In the pic below, he looks so brotherly, doesn't he? Well, he's actually trying to remove her from the scooter so he can have a turn, and because he knows I wanted her to come in and get clothes on (she escaped during the pajama process)...

Along the same lines of "brotherly love," Spencer also really enjoys his role as little brother to Samantha. She is his constant source of entertainment, when she's home. And he is her sometimes source of irritation, it's true. Most of his time-outs these days, are from his various attempts at bothering her, or fighting with her, or bullying her, etc. It's a love-hate relationship -- very ordinary siblinghood, in my book. (But I sometimes wish for a little more peace between them!)
Samantha -- almost 6 and a half!
Almost every time I'm out and about with Samantha, someone comments on how pretty she is, with all that gorgeous strawberry hair. I'm just wondering, is that a redhead thing? I mean, to me, it's true -- she's absolutely gorgeous. But I'm her mom; I'm supposed to think that. (Aside, I also think her smooth ivory skin, ruby red lips, and bright blue eyes do a good number in the looks department -- as her mom, of course.) Luckily, she doesn't seem to have too much ego about the comments, and smiles shyly when she gets these compliments from strangers. She recently told me (and several other people) that she thinks her hair is actually NOT so red as it is GOLDEN... just like her ballet trophy. :)

That brings us to some cute pictures of our ballerina girl...
I haven't written much about Samantha's ballet class, but it's been a real highlight of her school year. She had practice every Saturday morning at 9 a.m., and was up and ready in good time, every time. Her teacher was great, and really encouraged her and helped her grow in her abilities this year, I think. Unfortunately, they had two big performances at the end, and both were on a Sunday. Samantha and Brian and I discussed together, and decided she would not attend. But she was able to go to their performance at a hospital for special needs children, and felt every bit a star, even though it wasn't on the "big stage." We were very proud of her efforts, and her choice to keep the Sabbath holy. Isn't she so sweet?...

She really is such a sweet girl, and such a fun little entertainer for her brother and sister, and so enthusiastic, optimistic, and good. She likes to be helpful, and loves praise and attention for all her good efforts. Have I talked about her chore chart? I think I might have. It's such a GREAT idea -- her own! She made it herself, and she and Spencer get stars for various chores and good behavior. Here she is smiling by her chart...

And a close-up of her chart:
(First line says "chore," second line is "Bhavmint" -- her own word for behavior, and the third line is "exchra chores" -- sounded out all by herself)...

Here she is (below) being a very sweet big sister. Samantha LOVES to read. And she loves to read to other people even MORE! Natalie is not always the most patient audience (tries to grab the book, tear the pages, close it, throw it, etc.), but Samantha perseveres and is teaching Natalie to wait for the story to unfold. The other night, I came into Natalie's room, to find them in this chair together, singing "Jesus Loves Me" from Nat's little Easter book. It was precious.

They have matching "Hello Kitty" nightgowns. I need to get a picture of them both wearing them together. So cute!!

Samantha has a hard time falling asleep, and is usually the last one sleeping (of the kids), and the first one awake in the mornings. She is an angel when she sleeps, I've always thought...
I'm wondering what we'll do with her all summer. She is such a "project loving" girl! I want to make it a fun summer for her, and for all of them, I guess. Any ideas of great summer activities??

Here's one last pic I meant to put up months ago, back when I meant to post about our trip to the zoo (but didn't ever get it done, sigh). This is Samantha and Spencer with all their good friends. I'm so grateful to have good friends with kids the same ages as my kids, who are now my kids' good friends, too. (That made sense, didn't it?) Fun times for all!


2 comments:

Karen, Kam's mom said...

How NICE, Kam!! I read every word of it and enjoyed so much seeing and hearing about the kids this way. They are each SO PRECIOUS!! Thank you for taking time to put all these little things in writing!!! They'll really enjoy hearing these things about themselves as time goes along.

Oh, and-----I never ever HAVE put duct tape over anyone's mouth, but I was on the phone with you, hearing that little Natalie SCREAM in the back-ground--sounding like a wild-cat or wailing banshee or something--and you said it was quite NORMAL when she didn't get what she wanted--so I figured it needed to be STOPPED and I know duct tape fixes LOTS of stuff--so,,,,,, :) :) (I'm glad you didn't comply...)!! Love, Mom

Mel said...

What a cute write up! I should probably do the same with my kids. Natalie is such a cute girl. And I know she is a late talker but I'm actually thinking "She's talking already!?!" I can't believe she is that big. And as for suggestions for her screaming, I would say ignore her (I know, easier said than done) or put her in "time out" until she stops. Which she will, as soon as she finds more words.

And Spence also, I still picture him as being about 2 1/2. I know, I know he is a full year older than HP, but he just doesn't get older in my mind. And he sounds just like J-Man with the reading. J-Man was about that same age when he was starting to sound things out. Give him a month and he will be reading EVERYTHING!!!!! And J-Man learned the same exact way too. People would always ask what I did to teach him and honestly I did nothing but answer his questions when he would ask what a word was or what a letter said.
Also, glad to hear that he is fulfilling both his brotherly roles. What a good boy! :)

And sweet Samantha! She really is beautiful, she reminds me a of a porcelain doll with her fair skin and beautiful hair. She has the color of hair that I have vowed I will never color, no matter what someone is willing to pay me! Highlight yes, but never a full color.

Wow, sorry about the novel. Can't wait to see you soon. your mom told me you are planning a trip!