Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Hot Hot and HOTTER!

London has been MELTING these past couple of weeks. Or scorching, or burning, or whatever you want to imagine when I say HOTTTTTT! Last Wednesday the temp was 96 degrees, with about 98 percent humidity -- a record that hadn't been beat since 1926. That may not sound really horrible to those of you with dry heat, but imagine having the feeling of a hot steamy, sticky shower on TOP of the ovenlike temps. Oh why do we not believe in air conditioner in this country??

I spent a couple of days last week investigating different cool-down possibilities. First I thought maybe Sam and I could just spend all day at the library near by. Nope. No AC in there, so it's almost as hot as our oven we call home. So then I thought maybe shopping? Well, we went to the HomeBase store (like Home Depot). No AC. A restaurant. No AC. A grocery store. Yes, there was AC in the grocery store, but there's only so much you can do in a grocery store before your little girl gives you the "c'mon, let's get out of here" signals (ie. boystrous whimpering and growling).

We tried to buy a fan. They were sold out at HomeBase. Also sold out at Tesco. According to a friend, it's possible to order online, but we'd have to wait 21 days till they're back in stock!! So, we've got our little 12 inch oscillating fans -- one for our room and one for Sammie's room. Our's is perched at the end of our bed and has been on for the last 100+ hours without a break. Sammie's is crooning over her crib, but I'm afraid the bumper stops it from being really effective with her. She sleeps in just a onesie, and sometimes just her diaper. I've started sleeping with a wet washcloth on my head. I don't think it really helps, but it has a nice placebo effect, I guess?

On the news they've been saying London is officially in a drought WORSE than Sudan! There's a hosepipe ban, which means anyone caught using their garden/lawn hoses to water flowers or grass will be fined something atrocious. I guess that's one reason to be greatful we're on the top floor flat, with no greenery to our charge. One lady in our ward says she's trying to keep her flowers alive using a water can from the house. It takes her an hour every evening just to water everything!

Anyway, such is life in Londontown. Like the rest of the city, I'm praying for rain. Now, please.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Kamber-
I feel your pain. Why don't these people get into the 21st century and put in a/c's even if they will only be used 2 months out of the year. :)That sucks that you don't even have good fans. Ours are big and they turn fast. We got some rain today though, so we are feeling some relief. Hope it cools down soon for you.