Thursday, October 25, 2007

Wistful Thinking

It's only 7:15 am (which feels more like 5 am, as it's still barely starting to get light here). I'm not typically up so early, but I've been laying in bed awake this morning, thinking of things I need to do today. Finally this baby started kicking for breakfast, so... we're up and moving now. I wanted to write yesterday anyway, but didn't make time.

I've been going through a phase that seems to hit me every fall. I guess I'll call it "wistful thinking." It's that time of year when I sit watching leaves fall from trees, fondly remembering autumns and winters past. (And yes, even with Samantha, I've found time to sit and ponder these deep things of life, shock!) Sometimes the things I think of are good memories, sometime they leave a few tears in my eyes. But I think I enjoy the wistfulness, the melancholy -- whatever it is. It sort of goes with the season, I suppose. These last few days I find myself pining a bit for places and times that I know aren't coming back. But maybe the pining is my way of appreciating what's brought me to where I am now?

Well, so here are a few of the autumny things I miss right now:

  • The sound of my parents' old fan fireplace in their living room. They don't use it anymore, but it was the signal of warmth, home and comfort when I was growing up.
  • Stephanie's pumpkin bread. Okay, so she did leave me the recipe, but I have no canned pumpkin here and my oven always dries things out, so it's hard to replicate.
  • Randi's lovely PUMPKINFEST parties every fall. Everyone has to bring an item that has been made with pumpkin, and we all gorge for hours. It was PUMPKINFEST that actually helped me learn to appreciate that fine vegetable. (And yes, PUMPKINFEST is always, always capitalized.)
  • The smell of woodsmoke in people's chimneys. This is mainly from childhood, and mainly the smoke from our own chimney. But again, it's a signal of comfort and warmth for me.
  • Mt. Auburn Cemetary in Boston. I visited that place many times, with friends and solo. The crunchy leaves there this time of year are most heavenly. I have pictures of me, Alicia and Randi stomping around there one Sunday afternoon -- some of my favorite picts.
  • Apple picking. I know, they do have apples in this country, and I could probably go find a lone country tree and pick me some goodies. But it's more the company and the occasion that I miss right now.
  • High school dances. I miss the primping with girlfriends and the anticipation of who will be at the dance. We had some great autumn dances way back when, even barn dances sometimes! (I probably sound like my grandma on this one, huh?)
  • Burdicks hot chocolate in Boston. It's like drinking liquid chocolate, an experience to be remembered with reverence.
  • College classes. This feels like the time of year for starting a new project, learning something new, sharpening the brain a bit. I miss the new growth I experienced every fall when I was in school.
  • Walden Pond. I never got really great pictures of it, but it is perhaps the most serene setting in my memory. I love that place.
  • Camp fires. And our old camper we used when I was a girl. When our whole family went camping, I had to sleep on the floor, which wasn't great, but it was close to the little gas furnace which was toasty warm. And, it's fun to remember those family times together.
  • Thanksgiving. This year won't be like Thanksgivings at home when I was little, but it will sure be nice just to be home enjoying the eats of the season with family!

That wraps it up for now, I suppose. It's finally getting lighter and the day is ready to start soon. Big morning for us -- we have a little ultrasound scan to go to today. Say hello, baby!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Kam--
I just got off the phone with you---it's about 7:30 a.m. for me, on the same morning that you wrote your "Wistful Thinking" list, only for you it's now 2:30 p.m. and you've already disclosed to me the findings of your Ultrasound, and it's exciting to think of!

I sure do like your list of "autumn feelings". That Boston PUMPKINFEST that Randi put together each year always sounded SO FUN---and the assortment of 'pumpkiny' foods SO delicious! Your fireplace memories can be a pleasant "reality" for you next month when you come for Thanksgiving, cause we have a nice cheery fire going in the fireplace every single day nowadays. And regarding our camping trips in our fun camper---I was sad to realize that YOU were the one who always had to sleep on the camper floor!! (our only GIRL!!) :)

Your Walden Pond memories seem very, very REAL to me right at this timing, Kam, because your dad and I got to go there and watch the sun set on the water just two weeks ago today--on our New England vacation with Larry and Darla. it was SO PLEASANT and memorable!! I certainly can see how you would LONG to see and be at that beautiful place again! Thanks for sharing your "wistfulness" with us, Babe! Love, Mom

Elieson Family said...

Ah, Kamber! C'mon out here to Virginia baby!! Actually, I just met a family who lived out in London in the 90's when he was in school. Peggy Scott remembers and keeps in touch with them, the Hunters. Anyhow, it's fun meeting another London North group.. small world!!!
I just made pumpkin bread, so funny you mentioned it!

Jeni said...

Kamber, LOVED this entry. I too, recall my Boston days with fondness, especially in the fall. You Ronale Road girls made my time in Boston particulary memorable and fun, and for that, I will always be thankful to you all. I am SO happy we've been able to keep in touch!

Wade Hone said...

this was fun to read, although, lest every one forget you aren't the ONLY one that took a turn on the floor... I know that you did your fair share, actually it was probably more than your fair share seeing as how 3 boys would have to share 1 bed and 1 boy on the floor when you got the top fold out bed vs just one Kamber on the floor and two boys to a camper bed, However - that last scenario DID occur... (at least once because I remember sleeping next to that heater too. and your right.. the floor was kinda hard, heh.)

Lisa Michelle said...

BURDICKS!! How could I have forgotten about such a heavenly place?? Thanks for bringing back some great memories of falls in Boston and other places, as well. :) Congrats on baby blue!! That is very very exciting. And Samantha as a pumpkin is too cute! Is that why she was a pumpkin -- as a salute to PUMPKINFEST?