Spencer seems to have developed his own little routine over the past week or so. I'm not sure I appreciate it too much, but I do admire his consistency. He sleeps A LOT during the day. Some cute picts, for proof...
Just for my own "journalish" documentation, here's Spencer's current schedule, which he has kept since I got home from the hospital: He wakes up around 7ish to eat every morning, then we both go back to sleep until 8:30 or 9, when he wakes up and wants to eat AGAIN. Then, by 10:30 or 11, he wants to eat AGAIN, so I feed him, get him dressed for the day, and he stays awake for 1/2 hour or so. (Confession: sometimes I just don't have the milk for all that eating in the morning, so I have to top him off with an ounce or two of formula at noontime. rats!) After that, he'll sleep for 3-4 hrs (sometimes 5) before he gets hungry again. Then he gets kind of cranky in the evening between 6pm and 8pm. He acts like he wants to eat again every half hour and ends up getting the binky plugged in for awhile so we can eat dinner and get Sammie settled for bed.
The hardest part of the day for me is when he wakes up at 10pm, ready to eat once again (even though he just ate around 8pm). Those of you who have nursed can imagine how much milk I DON'T have by 10pm with his rigorous schedule. So, he gets a bottle in addition/instead... usually 2-3 oz, sometimes 4. He then settles for a good look around from 11:30 to 12:30. He is wide awake and sooo peaceful... unless we turn out the lights and try to sleep; he likes his "look-around" time and doesn't appreciate being shoved in his bed in the dark. That means, Brian and I are usually up until at least 12:30 or 1 (last night it was actually closer to 2a.m.), waiting for Spencer to decide it's bedtime. From then, he just wakes up once to eat, around 4 or 5am, and then goes back to sleep until the day starts at 7ish again.
Spencer likes to sleep in our bed. He really dislikes his cute little moses basket we're borrowing from a friend. We've tricked him a little bit, by putting a pillow in the bottom of the basket, so it feels and smells more like our bed. But if we're right there in our bed by him, he generally knows the difference and gets quite demanding about getting in our bed with us. He also likes sleeping on us -- mainly on Brian's chest. It's sweet and cuddly during the day, a little exhausting at night. But he sure is a cute boy! We love all the adjustments so far.
6 comments:
Okay, that might just be the shortest month of all time...It seems Un-believable, but true!!!!!!! that a month has gone by. (Had to make a tribute to some of the HBS LDS Lunch Bunch famous writing styles). Happy 1st month, Spencer!--Timo (and Becky)
wow, I am SOOO sorry. That schedule sounds horrible. I can't believe you can function on that little of sleep. Hopefully you can sleep during the day while Sammie sleeps. He's a cute boy, though. Sounds like he'll be a chunk with how hungry he is!
Thanks for putting all those pictures in, Kam. Isn't he DARLING?? What a cute little boy he is! You sure can tell he's a BOY!! There's a little bit of a Hone look to him in some of those photos, and in others he looks a bit like Brian, I think. I'm thinking that weird schedule he's on is a lot like some of MY new babies used to be. (Sorry.)
And I'm glad you're letting us SEE him like this. I get to actually HOLD him just next week!! And Sammie TOO! I can hardly WAIT!! Love, Mom
Nice work, guys.
thanks for posting the pics and the write up! What a cute couple of kids you have there!
I know that Mom and Dad are sure looking forward to seeing you and their Grandkids.
Have a great day sis.
(Wade)
Glad to know I'm not the only one who lets my kids sleep in our bed. Ethan slept with us till he was almost a year old and Sara katherine, though she starts the night in the crib, inevitably winds up with us sometime in the middle of the night. I get gasps of horror by some when they find this out, but I really don't care. Personally, I love waking up with my husband on one side and my baby on the other. They're only little like this for so long, and Ethan transistioned to his own bed just fine. We assume SK will do the same. You enjoy this time with him, even if it's in your bed. :) He's so cute, btw, and that little Sammie. what a doll!
Post a Comment