Monday, March 17, 2008

Hard Week Over

I've debated what to write about this past week, if anything. It hasn't been our best here, though we've been in good enough spirits, I guess. I spent most of the week in the hospital, going in last Monday night for a minor surgery.

It was supposed to be an out-patient surgery to clear out some post-birth infection I mentioned a few entries back. Well, there were some complications during the surgery and I ended up with a mini C-section, with stitches and all. Rats! So, instead of going home to nurse my baby and put Sammie to bed Monday evening, I ended up staying in the hospital until Thursday. No fun!

(Aside: they sure like to bring out the needles at the hospital. ouch! I ended up with eight different "pokes" from that little 3-day stay -- two IVs, three blood thinner injections that hurt like nobody's business, a morphine injection, and two blood withdrawals. I repeat: No fun!)

Brian did his best to shuttle back and forth between the hospital and home, bringing Spencer up to nurse during the days, then taking home bottles I expressed for night time. He spent the first night with me in the hospital, (which I VERY much appreciated), and left Samantha and Spencer with his parents at our house. Brian's parents were our lifesavers! We are soooo glad they were here to help at such a crazy time. They stayed with Sammie (and sometimes Spencer), kept our house in good order, made good meals for when Brian was home, and just made us feel so much more at ease -- like everything was taken care of while we were so busy helping me get better. What would we have done without them?? They sure made it easy on us! We miss them A LOT!! They flew back to Idaho the day I came home from the hospital, leaving our house in tip-top shape so we don't have to worry about it and can just rest and recover.

So I've been doing my fair share of "resting" and "recovering" to be sure. I don't feel too down or discouraged about things, thankfully -- just trying to take it all in stride, learning to expect the unexpected. I'm up and around the house when I feel like it, and I spend a lot of time with Spencer in our room. Sammie and I read books on the couch or color at the table together. And Brian keeps everything running smoothly around here. He runs a very organized ship... good meals, spotless kitchen, and clean laundry (he must have done 10+ loads on Saturday!) This is his last week of paternity leave, and he'll probably be happy to get back to the office and leave the Mr. Mom role behind him (even though he's so good at it -- practically overqualified already). I'm just wondering how we'll cope when it's just me and the kids and the stitches?

We'll keep you posted!

7 comments:

Alicia said...

What a crazy week. It was so nice though that Brian could take care of things so nicely and that his parents were there to help. Good luck when Mr. Mom heads back to the office. At least your parents will be there soon and you KNOW Karen is going to be taking REALLY GOOD care of you. Ohhhhh, I can just imagine all the delicious food. Can we come too? Actually, we'll just go to Idaho. It's a little closer.

turleybenson said...

Oh Kamber, I'm so sorry! Darn women's problems. I'm glad Brian is so good. I keep thinking about what the house looks like when i get back from a trip and Mike is home alone. Not. Pretty.

Wade Hone said...

heya Kam,

so sorry you had to go through a tough week like that. My hopes and prayers are directed at you making a swift and full recovery.

Sure do love you much! I can't wait to see Jr.

Love Wade.

Dalana and Mark said...

Hey Kamber! We've heard about your complications and have sure been keeping you guys in our prayers. We're glad that it seems to be taken care of now and we hope that you recover quickly. I need to give you a call soon. We love you guys.

Lhone said...

Man, Kam... it made me want to cry FOR you. I know you have some tough weeks ahead of you, we'll keep you in our prayers. I wish I could come and help or do something. It is so nice that brian's parents could help out while all this was going on. It is SO much easier when you have things at home taken care of.

Anonymous said...

A comment from your Mom...I'm SO SORRY, my dear daughter, that you've had to go through all of this, but WOW--you have kept such a MARVELOUS ATTITUDE!! Such a Positive OUTLOOK!! I am AMAZED at how you've stayed so up-beat and happy-sounding during eveything that's happened!!

I'm delighted that Brian's parents have been there to be such a wonderful help to you during all of this and I'm sorry that I've been so sick with the flu that we had to change our own reservations to come a couple weeks LATER, but hopefully we'll get there in time to STILL be of help to you by holding that Sammie girl bunches and fixing your meals and stuff. I just worry about those 4 days you'll be without Brian till we get there...will ward members help maybe?

I'm glad you're able to have this 'quiet time' with Sammie and Spencer, but I'm sorry it's sorta "forced" upon you!! :) I sure do love your good attitude, babe, and our prayers are with you for a very quick recovery. Oh, and I'm so VERY VERY THANKFUL to BRIAN!! Isn't he WONDERFUL??? Love, Mom

Teresa said...

And then you added a babysitting request on top of all your other headaches. :( I am so grateful to you for helping us out while we were in London, and I hate that our timing was so bad. It was wonderful to talk with you though, and you are keeping a GREAT attitude. What a good example for those around you to see. I am glad you married a man who knows how to step up to the plate. It sure makes life a lot easier to deal with.
PS your package will be on it's way shortly, so tell me if there is anything German that you like. :0