Friday, July 11, 2008

Goodbye London

Shouldn't I be packing, cleaning like mad, or at least sleeping?? Of course the answer is yes, but I had to end with one last blog from London. Our movers are coming this morning in just an hour or so, and then our internet will be gone. One more string of pictures to share, one more ode to London Life.

We've sold all our furniture (or at least most of it), ordered our electricity off tomorrow, and arranged for a friend to take our car. What more is there left to do, other than the 100 thank-you cards, the one last sharing time for church, the base boards and walls in the living room (and on and on)!?

Here, Samantha models on her bed as I take pictures of it to post online for sale. Cute girl not included (but you can have the binky if you can wrestle it away from her,please!). We're delivering it tomorrow, last thing in the house to go.
One last "sleep" in the pool last weekend. She will miss making beds
This one was from awhile ago, but I love it. Did I already post it? Maybe I did. Anyway, I thought it was cute to see Samantha get so excited about the move.
Okay, let's fast forward a few hours now. Movers came (an hour early! gasp!), interrupted my nostalgic mood and my blogging (no fair!), packed (quickly) and left (taking every last utensil and dish so I had to eat bread and butter and jam using my finger as a knife just now). Now I sit in this empty house, with every sniffle and cough (I've got a cold-- again, no fair) echoing in the emptiness around me. No more wistfulness about leaving, there just isn't time for reflecting right now. I have doors to wash, shelves to dust, and floors to mop.
But I will leave you with my quick lists that I've been saving to post right as we go...
Things I will miss about London:
-- The accent, the inflections, the British way of speaking the "Queen's English." I love it. It has always sounded so proper and posh to me. I will miss hearing quirky English words like shattered, nappy, bunged up, gutted, lovely, brilliant, and garden.
-- The green, green, green loveliness. It is always beautiful and green here, even in the middle of January. The trees may lose their leaves, but things always seem to look fresh and vibrant.
-- Castles. I've visited enough that they seem a bit "old hat" to me right now, but let's face it -- I'm a romantic. I dreamed and dreamed of the time when I could see a REAL castle. I will miss all the majesty and grandeur of a castle or a palace or a great manor house. They just don't build 'em like that in Idaho, ya know?!
-- Country drives. Again, it's the green that draws me to the country here. But there's also the "oldness" of it all, the history in the surroundings. I love driving by an old stone fence, wondering about the people who built it and how frustrating it must have been to put it together.
-- Walking to the store. It really is quite convenient to have a little built-in community so handy. Post office, pharmacy, groceries, banks, restaurants... all just a 5-7 minute walk (okay, more like 10 mins with the kids). I will miss it.
-- London cabs. They are so peculiar looking! I remember seeing them in movies and I thought they were old school. But nope. They're real, and they're funky (and according to Brian they are not so comfy to ride home in when it's so late at night).
-- London North Ward. Our little church community here is something I will cherish and long for, I'm sure. I have struggled in my calling with the Primary children, mainly because I've felt quite taxed with my own two kiddies. But I love, love, love those children, and our little ward. The members are so warm and caring. The numbers are few, but every person counts and every kindness really seems to mean something. I will miss being a part of it, feeling so valued and appreciated.
-- Lavendar. Samantha and I have learned "Lavendar's Blue" and we sing it as we go out to the shops sometimes. There is always some lavendar plant spilling over someone's garden fence, looking so cheery and blue. Sammie can recognize it now, and we usually pick a little sprig to smell as we walk.
-- Our cozy flat. It's a bit tight at times, but I've really enjoyed our stay in this flat. It's been a good home for us. I don't like to see it so empty now, sniff sniff.
Okay, and now, before I get all teary and weepy over all the things I will miss, I better add my other list...
Things I will NOT miss about England:
-- Trolley carts at the grocery stores. They drive me CRAZY! They are "all wheel drive" so there's basically no good way to steer them. I put my back out any time I have to push a cart in the grocery store. Plus, you have to deposit a 1pound coin to even use the stupid things. Do you know how many times I have not had a coin and had to go in (kids in arms), buy something, and make change just so I can get a stupid cart?! The only place with NORMAL, FREE carts is Cost-co, of course.
-- Sausage. I have yet to find an English sausage I am fond of. Not sure what it is, but I just do not care for the sausage here.
-- Driving on the left. And driving on the ridiculously narrow streets. And driving with speed cameras. And driving with Brian pointing out all the speed cameras and speeders. And the dumb UK driving test that I failed three times, no joke! Basically most things that do with the techinical side of driving, I will NOT miss.
-- Two kids in the city. It's a rough, tough place to be trekking around with my baby-kids. I don't like the stairs, or the Tube, or the buses, or the traffic in general. It's hard work getting around. As much as I enjoy all the things there are to see and do in the big city, getting there makes it not so enjoyable.
--Too much rain. Last year, it poured a torrential downpour on my birthday (which is just over a week away, btw!!) I slept most of the day that day (was newly pregnant and jetlagged). I wasn't too bothered, but I did find it noteworthy that in all my 30+ years of existence, I don't think it has EVER rained on my birthday. Except here. I'm all for some rain, and I do understand that it's the rain that makes my "green, green, green" possible. But somtimes enough is enough. It's clouding over out there right now, to punish me for writing this.
Anyway, I better get going -- dustbunnies are waiting for me. Next post will come to you from the great Gem State of Idaho!

15 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh, Kamber.. I shed a tear for you as I read your post. From the moment Wade told me you were moving to London, I've been jealouse as could be.
I feel like I've totally lurked on your whole experience there.. but thanks for sharing it with me.

Happy moving and cleaning, and welcome home!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tiffney said...

Kam... I'm tearing up just reading your post! I'll miss London for you too. Yes... I HATE the trolleys at the grocery stores as well...they are RETARDED!! Good luck with the move.

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Wow! This makes me realize just how sad it is that you are leaving London and all of the things that I still miss about London myself. We're still glad you're coming back though!

Dalana and Mark said...

Like everyone else, I was sad reading this post also. What a wonderful experience this has been for you guys and what great memories you'll always have. However, we're more than excited you're coming home. BTW, maybe Samantha will give up her binky when Seth potty trains. I was hoping by the time the baby came, but it's not looking so good.

amber and james said...

Welcome home! I bet you are glad to be back in potato country! How can you not just love Idaho right? I bet those London people would be surprised to see how you were when we were young and trying to find fun thing to do in Wapello! Those were the days!

Call me if you get a chance to come visit! I want to see the babies (and you of course)!
Safe travel!

Anonymous said...

How sad and how exciting all at the same time. It's always sad to leave somewhere that has been your home. You have so many good memories there. I'm glad you got to do all of your lasts and that your almost ready to go. I can't believe your finally moving back!!! That is where the excitement sets in. I am thrilled for you to be close to me and for Sam and Brie to play together and for you to drive a mini van and to own a home and to live in Idaho and to be able to park at the grocery store and so much more!!!

I'm so sorry we didn't finish our talk the other day. When it cut out I started dying my hair and couldn't get the phone, then I figured you were in bed. I'll try calling again because I feel the need to say "Good luck. Have a safe trip. Are you okay? When will I see you? etc." If I don't talk to you, know I am anxiously awaiting your triumphant return to the states!! Love you!

Oh. And know that I am WELL AWARE of your birthday next Sunday!

ManicMandee said...

We'll be seeing you guys soon! Man I wish we could have seen you guys before you moved back. London sounds so wonderful. And Wimbledon - NO FAIR!
Happy Birthday to Brian.
Congrats on getting your move all done too. Lots of work and stress.

Elieson Family said...

Kamber, couldn't agree with you more. I miss so much and don't miss so much. I actually loved all the rain. But yeah - I don't want to go back until my youngest is at least 4.
I cried HARD when the movers came and packed us out of our house. I've never been so fond of a place. Ever.
London is great.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kam---I think it's WONDERFUL that you took time to write all these thoughts about leaving London. It made tears come to my eyes to think of the mixed emotions you are likely experiencing!!

Your dad and I are so very grateful to you and Brian for providing us the opportunity to have the "European Experience" we likely never would have had. It was wonderful that we were able to come there several times and be treated so royally by both of you like we were. We LOVED seeing your apartments and the little communities in which you live. (Did I say "Little"?? Caldwell's going to seem LITTLE, but that's not a proper term for anywhere in the London area, right??!)

Anyway--I've sure enjoyed reading your writings and feeling so close to you due to your Blogging efforts. THanks for ALL you've done to help us have a share in "the Bishop's Excellent Adventure!!" We've LOVED it!!

We very much look forward to seeing you in person and having you live closer to us. Happy Birthday to you Kamber---for one week from today---next Sunday--the 20th. We hope to see you on that day!! Lots of Love to you, Your Mom

turleybenson said...

Well I'm just mostly happy for you. I'm sure it's been a great adventure for you that you will never forget, but I think Idaho will be a great change for you, and soon feel like home again. Ever since I read your first "moving to Idaho" post, I've been so excited for you to get back to the states. Having lived in London for a short time myself, I totally know the mixture of emotions, but mostly I was really happy to come back home. So happy for you!

Lhone said...

I know you won't read this until you are in idaho, but like the others, I got really nostalgic about your blog. I loved our trip to London, and ireland, (and egypt of course). I think you guys are awesome. I am excited to be able to see you more often. I really look up to both of you and think you are great examples to us. My kids will finally be able to see Spencer for real, but we have loved looking at your blog and being apart of all your experiences.

Wade Hone said...

"Yay!!! the Bishops are coming to America to live for a while!"

I'm glad that the US o' A gets to host your adventures for a time now. I look forward to seeing you on Sunday. It's been great keeping up with your Blog Kamber my sister. I hope you keep it up wilst living in Idaho.

I must say, how freaking cool! about you guys getting to watch the Williams Match live like that! I have seen both of them play on TV before, but the few times that I have watched a 'champion ship' they havn't ever had to play each other, I always thought it would be cool to watch a match, so I was especialy happy for you guys that they ended up being the final that you got to see.

well, welcome to America! It's 8:14, your most likely somewhere in California right now. !!! yay !!!

Wade -out.

Becky W. said...

"Good-bye London." We have loved living your London life vicariously through your blog these past years. I'll miss reading about you over there. Thanks for taking the time to blog one last time before you left. We'll look forward to getting to know the Idaho world through you. Good luck with the move!

sebi & audra said...

hey kamber , this is audra. I was glad i found your blog. Leslie sent me her link and i found yours from there. I bet it was hard to have to leave London. But I'm sure there will be alot of positive changes too! Good luck with your cute little family :)
Hope to see you soon.