Monday, July 07, 2008

"Lasts" in London

We've been busy this last couple of weeks, celebrating our "last" moments in London. It's hard to say goodbye to a place that has been our home the entire time we've been married. Let's just say, it's been a nice, long 4-year honeymoon! Here's a sampling of some of our fun times that may be our LAST while we're here.

Last play date with Abby and Sammy F.
Our friends Joyce and Charles are moving to Chicago the same day we move to Idaho. They're on holiday this week, so we had our last play time with their girls last week. It was so cute to see the girls enjoying each other, and sad to know it's all going to end so soon.

(I thought I got a picture of Other Sam, but I guess I didn't. oops)

Last trip downtown for lunch.
I took Spencer and Samantha down to my old work to meet my former colleagues for lunch one more time. It was brave of me, I think. Taking two kids on the Tube is tricky! Here Sam models her hands after holding the handrail in one of the Tube stops. Disgusting!

I didn't get a good group shot, but here's Caroline, holding sleeping Spencer. And here's Sam, by the London Eye -- 5 mins walk from my old work.

Last outing with Jeanette and kids.
We've been friends with Jeanette and her three kids- Stephen, Aaron, and Sophie-- since we first moved here. They've been at our house several times for dinner or dessert or just games. We had them over last weekend for pancake breakfast and an outing to Golders Hill Park. We will miss them. (Stephen didn't come, but Jeanette's granddaughter, Ellie, did...)
Snoozing at the park...
After flying the kite...

Last girls' night out.
I've really enjoyed my friendships with all the women in our ward at church. Of all the things I'll miss about London, there's no doubt I'll miss my friends the most. We've had a few little outings lately that have been really fun. This one pictured above was a delicious dinner at one of our friend's houses -- just for ladies, just for fun.


Last walks on the Heath.
It's been great to live so near Hampstead Heath. (Sammie calls it the "Heaf".) Here Brian suits up with Samantha for a walk to the Heath. He and she like to go on little outings to the Heath on Saturday mornings or sometimes even after work. Charles and Joyce just gave us their backpack -- a perfect excuse to get to the Heath again, Samantha thinks.

Last dinner with friends.
We had dinner with Tanya and Michael at their new house last night -- a great Middle-Eastern feast of lamb, tabouleh, hummus, pita, and rice, etc. Sammie LOVES Tanya and especially Michael, and talks about them all the time, even though they moved several months ago. It was lovely to see them again one more time before we go.
Spencer modelled their Scottish wig...

Last AMAZING dinner date at Lemonia.
No photos of this one; it would have been a bit tacky. Brian and I had a really nice dinner date to a place we've been wanting to try for quite some time. It was a classy Greek restaurant with VERY good food. We got full enough that I didn't eat anything the next day until 1 or 2pm. Delicious baklava, but I was too full to properly enjoy it!

3 comments:

Dalana and Mark said...

How fun, thanks for sharing. I'm glad that you are getting the opportunity to all these "lasts". I felt sad for you guys reading this post though. At the same time, we're feeling REALLY excited to have you close. We'll probably see you in 9 short days!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

I love the wig on Spencer! very cute and funny. We too are so excited to have you guys close again, and yet I can't imagine saying goodbye to everything that I had known for all my married life. At least you will get some time to enjoy your lasts.

Anonymous said...

We are really excited, too, Kam, for all of you to be coming back here, so close to OUR home, but I feel sad for you, too, at having to leave all that "excitement" and hustle and bustle that represents your London experience. And I'm grateful that so many of your friends are also LEAVING the area. I'm sure that makes YOUR leaving easier---knowing that they're not still there.

Did those dirty hands of Samantha's occur just from her holding onto the railing in the tube? Do you think perhaps she held onto a railing that an Asphalt worker had just held---maybe?? :)

It would've been fun to see a picture of "The Heath", but I think I can just go back through previous posts and see one, likely. Thanks, Kam, for taking time to put in all these "lasts". I really appreciate you doing this. Lots of Love, MOM