Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I've Been Tagged

Two of my sisters-in-law "tagged" me recently, so I figured I would respond. But first, you may have noticed that my blogging activity has decreased significantly in the last months. A short explanation, then I'll do the "tag" thing. If you just want to read the "tag" skip this paragraph... Okay so, Brian's office is upstairs, along with the someday-family-room. The rest of our house is downstairs. With me so far? Well, the computer I used to use to blog is now a resident of Brian's office, and is upstairs, and is in use by Brian all day long. There is another computer (the one I'm using right now), but it is s--lll-ooo---w. And the systems are very outdated which makes blogging (and especially uploading pictures) a big pain. With many other things on my daily agenda, I avoid the ones that seem like "a big pain." Then I whine to Brian about needing a better computer, but can I really justify it just for the purpose of blogging? Probably not, so instead I am just not blogging. sigh. Sorry. Someday it will be more convenient again and I'll do it more often again. In the meantime, here's a quick post that doesn't require uploading pictures, so I can do it from the crummy computer.

I've been Tagged.
The way this tag works is that I'm supposed to write seven random things about myself -- things that all my imaginary blogging audience may find amusing, quirky or otherwise. Then, I'm suppose to tag some of my friends to do the same, and leave a comment on their blogs to let them know they've been tagged. Well, I will probably not officially tag other friends at this point. But if you feel so inclined to share random information about yourself, consider yourself tagged, okay? Now, on to my seven random things...

1. First, my favorite number really is seven. I was happy to learn I am supposed to list seven things, just because I've always thought it was the best number. In fact, just this morning I was listening to a radio show where callers were supposed to "guess that number." I was slightly vexed that no one guessed seven. I bet it was seven. I should have called in and won.

2. I have very long toes. And the second toe on each foot is the longest, extending almost the same length as my fairly long pinky fingers. A friend in college used to constantly tease me about my toes actually being like another set of fingers. I probably should be self conscious about this, but I never have been -- maybe because a boy I had a crush on once told me that long toes is a sign of intelligence. To all my fellow long-toes friends (and my two children who seem to have inherited my toe gene), that should make you feel better now, right?

3. I have glasses. I have to include this one because it's still somewhat of a surprise to me sometimes when I realize I really can't read that road sign. I did pass my driving test without them two months ago, but I should wear them for distances and driving. I've needed them ever since my mission (ten years, now!) but I always forget to wear them. Or I lose them (in the ocean once), or I break them, or I leave them at my parents' house (just recovered them last week), etc. If you look hard on my blog, you may see them in some older posts, but most people look at me weird when they see me in them, because my glasses aren't a frequent accessory.

4. I have a memory for numbers. I have been called a walking phone book before, multiple times. I very easily memorize phone numbers, which is a little unnerving for some people... how good of friends should we be before I memorize your number? Truth be told, I'll probably have it down long before we're good enough friends for me to tell you I have it down. I'm also good at birthdays. I still remember birthdays of guys I had crushes on in high school, old college roommates, co-workers, etc. I try to remember to wish people a happy birthday, just because their name pops into my head on their special day. But lately I have trouble knowing what the date is, which is messing with birthday calendar. I'm sure I'll get it all sorted out once we have a routine here.

5. I have very thick ear lobes. I've heard this is a sign of beauty in China, (which means my long toes have blessed me with intelligence and my chunky ears have blessed me with beauty?) I waited a long time to pierce my ears, and finally did it in college when I was 20. It hurt VERY badly. Because my lobes are so thick, the holes never healed up properly and I have never had much luck wearing earrings. I did wear them on my wedding day -- a new set of pearls that Brian gave me. Those ones were good and I was able to wear them for several months until one dropped into our floor boards and was lost forever. Since then, I've not found a single pair (cheap or spendy, pierced or clip) that I can wear for more than an hour at a time. Oh, the curses of thick, beautiful ear lobes.

6. Almost every time I buy clothes (which is rarely, until I lose this baby weight), I buy solid colors. That means, almost every thing I own is a solid color. I have red shirts, blue shirts, green, yellow, pink, black. I have a few stripey shirts, a couple flowery skirts, and maybe an old print shirt here or there. But mainly I am a solid lover, I guess. This actually annoys me somewhat. I'd like to be bold, make a statement with something different sometime. But when I shop, I'm just drawn to the solid colors and that's always what I bring home. Even my pants, skirts and dresses (I don't own a dress that fits me right now, but even in the past) are almost all solid colors. Oh well.

7. My name is made up. So many people in England asked me about my name, I found myself explaining its origin often. For those who haven't heard (or have forgotten), camber is an architectural term for an arch support system. Camber is used in bridges and in cars and airplanes, etc. In England, they actually have road signs on curves that say "adverse camber." My dad was a draftsman when my parents first got married, and he worked with camber. My parents thought it might be cute as a girl's name, so they switched the "C" to a "K" and saved it for their first and only daughter... Kamber. People don't always get it right away when I introduce myself, so I often tell people I'm Kamber -- like Amber with a K. It usually sinks in after a few seconds and they say, "Oh -- Kamber!" That's me.

And that's my seven random things for tonight, folks. I hope some of my friends will also write their randomness, even though I haven't "tagged" anyone. Cheerio for now!

Kamber

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, Miss Amber-with-a-K!

Cute write-up---I really enjoyed it. (I just got through writing a whole big "comment" here and somehow WIPED IT OUT!! How does that Happen????!!) I was saying that, even though I'm your MOM, I sure didn't know you had VERY LONG TOES or THICK EAR LOBES!! so this was a helpful INFORMATIVE endeavor on your part!!

I'm sure you must've gotten the VERY LONG TOES from your Grandma Eva---your dad's mom---cause MY toes are actually quite regular-lengthed...(is that a word???)

And I had NO IDEA that you had THICK EAR LOBES!! Where did THAT come from?? Did you just MAKE THAT UP??? hmmmm....(I'm inclined to wonder if perhaps you heard that idea about the thickness representing BEAUTY in China, and just sorta MADE THAT UP??...hmmmm....) :)

I know where you got that 'numbers memorizing thing'---it came from this MOM of yours, cause I'm really good at that, TOO!! Back when I worked for HFC, I memorized the big long account numbers that went with our individual customers, and when they'd walk in the door, I could go right over to the file drawer and pull them out by number instead of name. And I DID happen to know how your name of 'Kamber' came about, and I've always LOVED that name we picked out for you!! (And of course, I certainly love YOU, TOO!!!) Mom

Lhone said...

Yeah...Blaine told me your name, and I heard Yamber. Did we tell you we decided that we would name our 9th kid, if it was a girl...Yamber Marie? It's okay, we aren't having 9 kids.

Lhone said...

oh, and I had a horrible experience with earings too. They aren't thick, but it makes me still want to pass out when I think about getting them peirced.

Wade Hone said...

Kool info. sis, I didn't even know some of that stuff... (your name is Kamber? KAMber? Ooooohhhhhhh! -I kid.-)

thanks for posting! I check fairly regularly, and love it when I see an update! austa luego hermana.

Mel said...

Very interesting. I struggle with earrings too. But because i scar badly, not because their thick. I had to let them grow in a long time ago. At least you got to wear earrings on your wedding day!

Sandy N said...

Hey Kamber I love this post. It is great checking your adventurous blog. I used to be pretty good with numbers when I was younger but since I had kids it has kinda gone away (along with sanity I think) Like for example wasnt your phone number 2622 or something like that? I remember a 2 anyways, it seems as though it had either 2 and 6's or 2's and 7's??? Now I am curious? Well it was great reading about you and your family... Take care