Friday, October 24, 2008
Update from us
I thought I'd go for a RECENT update, now that I've put up most of the big stuff from the past few months. So, starting with today... we had a church/community Harvest Party this evening, with all the fun games and food and costumes, etc. Sammie was a princess and I daresay she knew she was lookin' cute!
When we got to the party, she got several "ooohh she's so cute" comments from the young women. Of course, she accepted the praise with polite smiles and darling giggles. She won a little polly pockets doll at the fish pond, and a cupcake at the cake walk. She done us proud!
Spencer was a pumpkin for the party tonight, but umm... we forgot to take his picture. Oops. Well, here he is modelling his latest trick...
That's right, folks. Spencer can sit up, all by himself! I know it looks like he's sort of leaning against the couch, but he's not! He's sitting unassisted, what a big man! He did happen to have a major "throw-back" accident at church last Sunday, where everyone cringed as they heard his head hit the floor at the start of RS, but other than that, he is quite steady. He's also army crawling and rolling like a champ -- all over the place. He just celebrated his 8-month mark on Wednesday, big boy!!
Tonight after the Harvest Party we went to the hometown high school football game -- showdown between the rivalling high schools, Caldwell and Valivue. Caldwell got stomped, but Brian roots for Valivue anyway. It was fun to watch, and be part of the small-town crowd. Samantha especially loved the marching band at half time, the falcon mascot waving what she thought was an "American Flag" (no, it was actually a school flag), and she apparently loved taking off her shoes and coat because she kept doing it.
Sammie also loved sitting by Grandpa Bishop, who met us at the game. She paid the most attention when she was sitting with Grandpa.
Spencer didn't exactly love the game. I don't think football is his thing yet. But he was pretty patient and didn't put up too much of a fuss even though it was cold and an hour past his bedtime.
In other news, we got a new bathseat for Spencer, and he loves it. He (and I) gets to be more "hands free" at bath time now, which is great. (aside: look at those gorgeous baby blues! his eyes seem to get blue-er every day, thanks to his daddy's good blue genes!)
And he has a little added protection from his "playmate." Yes, the bathseat is a good thing for all of us.

It sure beats bathing in the kitchen sink, but we still do that sometimes too, when we don't want a huge production. (Truth: I just CANNOT keep Sammie out of the tub any time I try to bathe Spencer. She hears the water and her clothes come off. Since I'm busy making sure Spencer doesn't drown, I can't very well physically make her keep her clothes on and stay out of the tub. So, it's either sink bath for Spence sometimes, or bath time together.)
As for me, I've been proud of my domestic efforts lately. I made three batches of pumpkin bread last week when my parents were here. (That deserves a separate post, but unfortunately we didn't take ANY pictures, can you believe!?!?) Anyway, my mom loved the loaf with raisins and pecans, everyone else seemed more partial to the chocolate chip loaf. There was plenty of both kinds, and muffins as well. Good stuff, that pumkin bread! Thankfully it's "seasonal" and now is its season!
I've also been busy learning to can. It may seem silly to post the pictures, but I'm very proud of my fun things I've canned this year. Here's my homemade grape juice, compliments of one of Brian's parents' friends... a couple who grows grapes but just didn't want to can them this year. It's really powerful juice concentrate -- tastes alot like Welch's, to me.

Here's the massive steamer Brian's mom let me borrow for the grape juice. Imagine our house filled with that sweety grapey aroma for a few days while I was canning. mmmm, good stuff.
I've also canned salsa and tomatoes with Brian's mom, but I don't have pictures of that. And here's some of my strawberry freezer jam. I've always wanted to do freezer jam, and let me tell you this is gooooood stuff. But so much sugar! I will not always make the "gooood stuff" but will search for the low-sugar recipes in the future. (Confession: I also had peaches and plums from my mom and dad that I wanted to use for more freezer jam and fruit leather, but I didn't get it done in time and... well.... I'm sad to say they molded. Maybe next year, I hope!)
That's all for tonight. Let's hope I can start being more regular about this, right?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Kam--What a FUN FUN write-up!! You're really truly involved in all this mundane, regular, down-to-earth "homey" stuff---finally---just like you've wanted to be for YEARS!! How WONDERFUL!!! (and I don't REALLY think it's "mundane".....) :)
Anyway---nice post!! It's fun to see your 'canning handiwork', and great to see that darling little Sammie Princess and that sweetie little Spencer guy. I'm
SO GLAD we got to be with them for those few days last week! (Oh, and with you and Brian, TOO, of course!) Thanks for the GREAT TIME!! (Your grape juice looks DELCIOUS!!)
It was sure nice to talk with you this morning and to find out all the little 'details' of your "regular-life" good, enjoyable week. I am just delighted, Kam, that you are now back in our state, living a wonderful normal life of homemaker, mother, and wife. What a joy this is to my heart and mind. I'm glad, too, for all the marvelous travel you've been able to have, but this REAL LIFE is truly "living"!! Lots of Love to you, Your Mom
Wow what cool pics and what a great post!!
good to see it sister Kamber!
what cutie kids you have too!
lots of love from me to you n yourn.
happy halloween!
Wade -out.
You're such a regular idahoan. (That was supposed to be a complement It is fun to see a post about canning, not your weekend in Norway. (again, that was supposed to be a compliment). I'm just trying to say It's just good to have you around.
What a beautiful Princess! And I love the whole bath time write up. We had the same problem. And, then one day Josh got too big to lay down in the tub with Sara in there too. Oh so sad. Good job on the canning. I'm impressed, and a little jealous. I love home canned grape juice. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Hey Kam. your Spencer is adorable! I just had to say that!
you have become the perfect idahoan house wife. Now that you have storage room and enough counter space to put more than one item on it. :) Way to be domestic!! One of these days I'll get there... I think? :)
Post a Comment