Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas in Hawaii, part 1

Merry Christmas from Maui! ... a little late, but better late than not at all!
That's right, people. We spent our Christmas and New Years in Hawaii this year, and it was so wonderful! I started writing this post while we were there, but never got it finished. So, I'm posting a first bit now, with plans of further posts in the coming days. (I mean, who wouldn't mind looking at numerous palm tree pictures while all that snow continues??)

The skinny on our fabulous trip... it was a part-family vacation, including Dad and Mom Bishop, Janice and Jay (Brian's sis) and their two kids, Brent and Jenalyn (Brian's bro) and their six kids. This trip was a surprise Christmas present for most of the kids -- except Sammie, who has been packing her bag for the beach every day for the past two months! Here's part of the group, on the first morning after we arrived...
We flew in on Christmas day, and stayed most of our time at a condo timeshare in Maui, that Janice and her family booked. We also spent a couple days on the rainforest coast side of Maui, and a few days on Oahu. So, here's part one, the Hana rainforest coast...

We drove the Hana highway, said to be one of the most scenic coastline drives in all of Hawaii. This was our "scenery"...
And this...
Well, they don't call it a rain forest for nothing, right?! Our best view was this one, but that was only when Brian soaked himself running to a "lookout" point to get this picture...
At one point, we started on a scenic detour to see an arboretum. But we had to turn around when we came to this...

Our brother-in-law, Jay, rented a motorcycle for the 3hr Hana Highway drive. I always tease Brian about packing a huge plastic rain poncho (he takes it EVERYWHERE we travel!) Well, this time it came in handy for poor Jay, the soaky wet rat... (not the best picture of him, but it was the best I got!)
I asked a lady at a souvenir shop whether that kind of torrential downpour was a bit overwhelming, but she just laughed and said it's quite normal for winter time. They get around 300 inches of rain per year on that side of Maui!!

We stayed the night in cute little cabins at Waianapanapa State Park (I loved hearing Brian's mom try to say that one!) Here's the outside...

And inside... last updated in 1952?? They weren't much to look at, no one was allowed to go shoeless (poor Spencer didn't get to crawl once), and I thought we might float away in the rainstorm that night.

But the surroundings were secluded, and the coastline views in the morning were spectacular!We took a morning walk down to the ocean, to watch the waves crash on the rocks...


Spencer wasn't too impressed...
After the rain cleared off, we took a drive further up the coast, to see some more of the coastline and visit some waterfalls. This one was just off the road, quite spectacular...

A guy was sitting by its side, weaving baskets, hats, and flowers from coconut fronds. He's been sitting there weaving, and selling his wares, for 30 years! wow!
Sammie got a little bird, like her cousin Eric's, for $3. Jenalyn got a darling hat for $15, but I didn't get a picture of it.
We drove to Oheo Gulch, or the Seven Sacred Pools, which was much more astonishing in real life than in these pictures. The water was really high (from all that rain, I imagine), and was just gushing over the rocks to the ocean.
The sign behind me says something like "extreme danger, don't walk past this sign or you'll probably die." I stayed on the right side, even though Sammie and Grandma thought I was getting too close.

The "hike" down to the falls was perfect for small children; Sammie and her cousin Ashton gathered lots of rocks and sticks on their journey, some of which stayed in our trunk the rest of the trip!
We did a little stop at a bay, so the kids could finally say they were in the ocean. Spencer loved it...
But not as much as Sammie...

That's all for now, folks! But rest assured, there's more sunshine to come. Stay tuned...

10 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Yay!! I have been waiting and waiting for this post! Fabulous pictures! It sounds like quite the adventure!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kamber---Thanks for this Hawaii trip Posting....(finally!) :) It's great to see these lovely pictures and know that you actually got to BE there just a short time ago. Everyone looks SO HAPPY!! I'm eagerly awaiting your 'next installment.' Love, your Mom

Anonymous said...

Yea! I have been dying to see pictures of the big Hawaii trip. And what great pictures! That rain is CRAZY! One night of our honeymoon it rained all night. We found out in the morning it rained 18 inches in that one night. We were shocked. It was nice though watching it from our deck, just the two of us all wrapped up in our blanket honeymooning. Kind of different than with a huge group of family just trying to sight see for the day.

The waterfall pic of your fam is very cute. The place you stayed - not so cute, but I like that it was remote and close to the ocean.

Maui looks very cool. I'd like to go there, but your Mom has talked me into Kauai first.

Dalana and Mark said...

That last pic of Sammie is so cute! It was fun looking at all of the pictures. I had to enlarge each of them to look at them in more detail. It looks beautiful there, but what makes the pictures is looking at the people in them. Loved them! I'm so glad you all had such a fun time. We missed you here. John was sure wishing we were there with everyone. Thanks for the post.

Joyce said...

I am glad you guys had a nice time in Hawaii. sounds better than the negative 13 degree weather we are experiencing. At least, we have nice summers here to look forward to....

Wade Hone said...

Happy Days!

Thanks for posting the pictures and the write up Kam-i-ca-mam!

Loved em all! and ya, Dalana (or Mark,) that pic of Sammie at the end is darling. what a cutie, you can just see in her eye's how much fun she's having! heh

Wade -out.

Lhone said...

I can't believe I missed this! It brings back good memories. Of course, that road to Hana was absolutely incredible went we went on it, not to rub it in...okay, maybe I'll rub a little. Sorry it was raining.

Heather - said...

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I have to admit that I peek in on your blog every once in awhile, too. I feel like we know you because Blaine and Lisa talk about you guys and what you're up to from time to time...anyways, your kids are cute and my husband and I can't get over how much your little guy looks like a Hone (of the Lisa and Blaine variety). Every time we see pictures of him, we do a double-take wondering which one of theirs he is.

Oh, and totally jealous about the Christmas in Hawaii thing!

Elieson Family said...

What a fantastic trip. Every time I see a tropical island however, I can't help remembering the few parts of our stay in Trinidad that were hard for me. I really liked that photo of the seven sacred pools - looks breath-taking!
And welcome back to the cold!

Amy said...

what beautiful pictures! If I ever get the chance to go back to Hawaii Maui is definitely the island I'm going to. It looks like you all had a great Christmas.