Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Trip to Tennessee, out yonder!

So, how many of y'all knew I went to Tennessee last week? Yeah, with my lack of bloggering, there's a good chance most of you were in the dark about that trip. But let me tell you, it was so much fun! My mom and I went to visit my Aunt Kathy and Uncle Trent and their family, in Nashville. I took Spencer, and left Sammie with family and friends... and Brian. :) 
The main event was to watch my cousins perform in a community play, Anne of Green Gables. Since I used to live with Aunt Kathy and Uncle Trent, way back when, I was especially excited to see my little cousins (who are NOT so little!!) up on the stage as star performers! My cousin Julie (18 yrs old) was cast as Anne, and did a fabulous job. She was so cute, even though she said the wig was so tight it made it hard for her to get some of her expressions right. ha!
Kallie and Chris were also in the play, Kallie (14) as one of the school girls, and Chris (16) as Jerry Boute -- the hired hand who helps Matthew. They both did a great job and looked so cute.
Here's the whole family... Mark and Jenni sat behind me, and laughed -- as siblings do -- every time their brother, Chris, was on stage. They later said they were laughing just because Chris was sooo "in character" it was surpising to them. ha!
Here's Spence. He didn't enjoy the play as much as the rest of us. But he managed to be fairly quiet through most of it.
During the days, Aunt Kathy and the kids took us out to see some of the gorgeous Tennessee countryside. I wish I would have thought to take pictures of some of the lovely country estates we saw. It was all so pretty and green and ... country! I could see myself loving Tennessee. I've got lots of ancestors from there. Whatever possessed them to leave, I wonder?! 

We drove along the old Natchez Trace (a Southern trade route, comparable to the Oregon Trail), and visited the memorial for Meriwether Lewis, you know -- of Lewis & Clark. I've always loved that part of American history, ever since studying about it in fourth grade. Here's the memorial, where Meriwether Lewis was buried. The history books say he committed suicide in a lodge near this site, but that's debatable. Read on wikipedia, if you're interested in the details. I personally think there's no way he killed himself. But who knows?
Here I am, posing for a Southern Glamour shot, in front of the replica lodge where he died. It used to have a lot of displays telling about the L&C expedition, etc, but was lacking when we visited.
We also did a stroller-worthy hike to a beautiful little waterfall on the Natchez Trace. It was so peaceful and beautiful.

Spence loved the attention and did some good posing for the camera.


Our last day there, we went downtown to see Nashville. We saw some of the fun little guitar shops, drove by the Parthanon (didn't go in to see the nudie statues this time), saw the famous Ryman Auditorium, and visited the amazing Opryland Hotel. It's like a small oasis city, complete with waterfalls, rivers, and gorgeous floral displays throughout the grounds.

I got a little carried away capturing artsy shots of the foliage...

But can you blame me?! Perfect greeting card photo material, oh yes, I have plans for these lovely ladies...
Spencer loved the waterfalls, and posed so nicely!
I have to include this shot of my very "smart" looking cousins, Mark and Chris. They both got new suits while we were there, and tried them on for us. Aren't they handsome?! They are 8 years apart in age, but I think they look so much alike. In fact, when Chris came with Kathy to pick us up at the airport, I mistakenly thought he was Mark for a second! How do these kids grow up so fast!? (I know, I'm sounding old now.)
And one last picture... the Yard Sale. My dad told my mom, if she made it to a yard sale, he'd know she'd done it all!!! ha! Not only did we find a yard sale, but we also went to a great thrift store, and a flee market in the Amish country nearby -- all things my mom loves. 
So yes, we really did do it all! And it was a great time!

9 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow. It is gorgeous there. I think I would love it too. Maybe we could get southern country estates next to each other. We could sit out on a big wrap around porch in rockers, sipping iced Kool-aid and watching the kids play. Sounds like the life. I'm glad you got to go with your mom. That sounds like such a fun thing to do. The pictures are great.

Lisa Michelle said...

looks like a fun trip!! i've been to the opryland hotel, too, and it IS amazing. And they have good gelato, too! :) ps - I FINALLY mailed your blog giveaway yesterday, so you should be seeing it soon... :)

Mel said...

I haven't been many places, especially compared to you, but Tennessee is one of my favorites that I have been to. There is so much to do and see. It's beautiful down there. I"m glad you guys had fun.

Lhone said...

such a fun time! Love the L&C stuff. i'm a nerd like that. I could see him committing suicide. He had a horrible rest of the life, and people have done dumber things over less.

Karen said...

WOW Kam--Thanks for the Post!! Thanks for putting it up so CLOSE to the time we did the trip!! Wasn't it FUN??! And I've told your dad two or three times since we went: "Half of MY fun was getting to have that little Spencer along. He was such a joy!!" (But I know, Kam, that he caused YOU lots more WORK!!) (:

I absolutely LOVE Tennessee and really appreciate these pictures and the fact that you "pushed" for us to take this trip. It was indeed memorable for us, and Julie did a FANTASTIC job of being "Anne". I just LOVED the play! And Kathy was SO generous with her TIME! Wasn't she the PERFECT hostess??? Thanks, Kam. I sure love you and loved getting to be WITH you!! Love, Mom

Amy said...

What a fun trip! That's so funny that y'all found a yard sale...every time I see one I think of your Mom. I can't believe how beautiful it is there...it definitely makes me want to visit!

ManicMandee said...

I can't believe how much your cousins look like you!

I didn't know you had family in Tennessee. Me too, but I've never been there!

Drewmeister said...

I stayed at the Opryland Hotel for my first business trip. It was so cool that it set me up for a major disappointment when I found out that hotels for most business trips were just run of the mill hotels.

Love the pictures that you took.

Darla said...

That looks so fun! We have quite the little "drama family"... I love it! The Bakers' I mean. I would've loved to see that play! I'm planning on taking my mom out back east this fall or early spring next year. And your blog makes me want to go right now!!! I miss the Bakers' so much too...