Friday, August 14, 2009

Cute Conversation

We were driving home late last night from a birthday party for one of Samantha's cousins. In the car, I was prepping Sam on the quick-quick bedtime routine, to minimize difficulty once we reached the house. We had the following conversation...
Kam: Okay, Sammie. When we get home, we need to get to bed really quickly tonight. (She was already in pajamas.) So, right when we get out of the car, you need to go in, go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, say your prayers, and get straight into bed. Okay?

Sam, giving no affirmative response whatsoever: And maybe have one quick little story.

Kam: Well, first you need to go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, say your prayers, and get straight into bed. Okay?

Sam: (pause) And a quick little story??

No response from Kam. (I was having that mental mother's debate about whether to fight over the story, seeing how late we were already getting home.)

Sam, more sweetly: I just want one quick little story.

Kam, knowing how she thrives on repetitive lists : Well, if you can use the bathroom, brush teeth, say prayers, and get into bed really quickly, then maybe we'll do a quick story. But if it takes too long to go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, and say prayers, we might not have time for a story.

No response from Samantha.

Brian, seeking an affirmative response: Does that sound good?

Sam, slightly disgruntled, after a long sigh: Not if there's no story!!

It sounded just like a spoiled teenager who just learned there might not be cable at the hotel. It made me laugh so hard the rest of the way home.


2 comments:

Karen said...

That's my Sammie girl.....VERY BRIGHT! She's SO precious!

I see you're up nice and early again today, my Kam. Good for you! I can hardly wait till you have time to post those Triathalon pictures. Love, Mom

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

So funny, Kamber. You sound like me - when I have lots to do and little time to do it, I have to think of the most efficient way to get it all done. Sammy's response was just too cute!