Saturday, October 17, 2009

Fresh Pumpkin Pie

It's fall, the leaves are changing, the pumpkins are orange and plentiful. I'd post pictures of all those things, but still no camera. Hence, the lack of bloggering lately. Sorry! It's true, I shouldn't have to have pictures to write on my blog. But they sure make things more interesting. Without pictures, what can I tell you today?

Well, you probably won't be as excited as I am, but I'll announce that my kitchen valances arrived this week, and I hung them up last night! They are.... PERFECT! I LOVE them. I haven't experienced this much domestic satisfaction in... how long? maybe ever? Ah, but at this point, wouldn't a picture of those darling little curtains just give you a reason to share my excitement?! I know! I NEED a camera.

Another something to tell... I cut Spencer's hair this week with the clippers. It was getting really long on top, and while I loved the 'baby' look it gave him, it started to be very unmanageable. So, he got a real boy hair cut. And he looks so much older to me. He still does all his cute little one-year-old baby boy things, but because he's so tall, it kinda looks like he's a bigger kid, doing those 'baby' things. Oh well, I do like the hair cut -- even though he screamed and hated the buzzer. The end result is good. (again, just think how much you'd enjoy a cute little picture of the boy and his cut. sigh)

I took the kids to a pumpkin patch play date with some of the other kids from church this week. It was so much fun picking out our own pumpkins. A couple in our ward offered a big garden plot to anyone who wanted to grow fresh produce this year. The last of the crop is a HUGE row of hundreds of pumpkins, and we were allowed to take as many as we wanted. Fun! Now we have a porch full of orange pumpkins, and I'm thinking of all the pumpkiny goodness of seasons past.

If you're a long time follower here, you'll remember me writing about the good ol' days of PUMPKINFEST (always capitalized). When I lived in Boston, back my single days, one of my awesome roommates, Randi, was positively obsessed with this time of year. (positively, as in, obsessed in a very good way.) PUMPKINFEST was really Randi's thing... a huge party where everyone invited was supposed to bring something "pumpkin" to share.

I confess, I am new to the love of pumpkin, and I owe this love to PUMPKINFEST. Where else would you find all different ways of experiencing that delicious vegetable in so many delectable ways? We had pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin rolls (those goodies with cream cheese filling, oh yes!), roasted pumpkin, spiced pumpkin seeds, pumpkin soup, and of course, pumpkin pie. Wow! What a versatile vegetable. Let's hear it for the pumpkin! And for Randilicious, for introducing me so kindly.

I've often thought it would be fun to throw my own PUMPKINFEST. Maybe I'd even make it a lowercase pumpkinfest, so as not to disrespect the REAL PUMPKINFEST. But really, it wouldn't be the same as, would it? I know it wouldn't. So, instead, I honor PUMPKINFEST by writing about it and telling people about it every year.

This year, I'm posting my favorite pumpkin pie recipe. I fell in love with it in London one Thanksgiving when a friend served it for our little American feast. Fresh pumpkin and honey. Good combo.

Enjoy!

Fresh Pumpkin Pie
(doesn't come with a crust recipe, so just use your own favorite crust)
1 medium sugar pumpkin
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
(I sometimes use 2-3 teaspoons of "pumpkin pie spice" instead of cinnamon and ginger, works just great)
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup honey, warmed slightly
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Cut pumpkin in half, and remove seeds. Lightly oil the cut surface. Place cut side down on a jelly roll pan lined with foil and lightly oiled. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) until the flesh is tender when poked with a fork. Cool until just warm. Scrape the pumpkin flesh from the peel. Either mash, or puree in small batches in a blender. (I prefer it mashed, for a chunkier texture. Puree makes it more like canned pumpkin.)

In large bowl, blend together 2 cups pumpkin, spices, and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, honey, milk, and cream. Mix egg mixture in with pumpkin. (Don’t overbeat, or you’ll lose the texture. I'd say to beat by hand, rather than with a mixer, for a dense, rich texture.) Pour filling into pie shell. Bake at 400 degrees F ( 205 degrees C) for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge of pie comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Best served with real whipping cream on top, mixed up with a bit of honey.

7 comments:

ManicMandee said...

Your posts are entertaining enough without photos. But yeah, I am curious to see your new valances with the joy they evidently brought you.
Promise you'll post photos of those later.

Lhone said...

Can't wait to see the valances, but I'll have to try the pie!

Randi said...

Sniff, sniff...PUMPKINFEST! The torch must be carried on, Kam. I'll try to organize one here, too, and maybe we can link up via satellite?

Jamie said...

Hi Kamber,
What a fun blog you have! I'm amazed at all the cool places you've been. I think that you're such a talented writer, and even if you never post pictures on here people would still be interested in what you say. The pictures are a nice perk though and your kids are so cute and fun to see.

I hope you don't mind me looking at your blog, but if you do then blame your mom, because she's the one who gave me your blog address and now I'm hooked.

I was telling your mom about this pumpkin recipe I got from my sister last week, and she said you might like it, so you can give it a try if you'd like.

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS
1 spice cake mix(don't add water,oil,or egg.)
1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
1 to 2 cups milk chocolate chips depending on your liking.
mix together and fill baking cups 3/4 full and bake at 350 for 18-21 min. Mine were done in 18 min.
I love this recipe, because it tastes like it took more to make than those three easy ingredients. I hope you like it.

Your friend,
Jamie

Karen said...

Hey Kam, Your "pumpkin ideas" sound fun, and I know you LOVED your "PUMPKINFEST" times back in Boston. Too bad your dad doesn't care for pumpkin---it makes me not use it very often.

I think you'll LOVE Jamie's recipe (above), cause the finished product tastes LOTS like the loaf of pumpkin bread you paid SIX DOLLARS for!! Thanks for the recipe you provided...Sounds GOOD!! Love, Mom

Kam said...

Thanks, Jamie, for a fun new recipe. I don't mind if you read along any time you'd like. you're so nice to say it's interesting, I'm flattered!

And Mom, thanks for sharing the fact that I actually paid good money for a loaf of pumpkin bread. ha! It was a one-time splurge, of course.

Alicia said...

Kam, please get a camera!! I'm dying. I want to see the valances. I want to see the kids at the pumpkin patch. Etc.

Oh how we loved PUMPKINFEST! It was all so delicious and so autumnish. Those were good days. I actually had my own PUMPKINFEST our first fall in Utah. We did everything pumpkin and invited my brother and sister-in-law. Sad part was that Sarah (sis-in-law) was just barely pregnant. We didn't know yet, but everything about the meal and smell of it made her so sick! Sad, huh? Randi will be here next week, maybe we'll have a PUMPKINFEST here and send you some yummy delights!

Love you! By the way, I just had my own CANDY CORN FEST thanks to the package that arrived today. I think I ate half the bag of those apple candy corns. They are so good!