Tuesday, October 27, 2009

vegetables are nasty

This one is for Randilicious.

I ate collard greens tonight.
For the first time. Ever.
They came from a can labelled "Southern Style Collard Greens -- with onions, garlic, and savory broth."
They were nasty. Disgusting. Despicable.

I felt like a kid at school again, reliving that one day in fifth grade when the principle made me eat every last green bean and I gagged because they were saltless, overcooked, gushy, cold green beans.

Okay, so the collard greens weren't cold or saltless, but they were green. And gross. And I ate a full 3/4 cup of them to set a good example for my children. Of course, after tasting the first bite, I did not even put ANY collard greens on either of their plates. They don't even KNOW how they should be thanking me. The leftovers (from a can the size of Libbys pumpkin pie filling) are still on the stove and will be until morning at which time they will find their way to the disposal because, who wants food that sat out all night, right?

Vegetables ARE nasty, Rand. At least collard greens.

4 comments:

Randi said...

I know, RIGHT? I had collard greens once, and I feel like that was enough to last me several lifetimes.

Why can't I choke down a vegetable? At dinner, why do I eat my salad last? Am I hoping that it will magically disappear by the time I'm done with the protein and carbs? Or maybe I eat the other stuff first so that I can push the salad away with the excuse that "I'm stuffed," which allows me to subconsciously congratulate myself on not totally overeating that day.

I need help.

Lhone said...

I'll tell you...you need to have a southern bell make you collard greens. Then, they are awesome. I had some in so cal, and our teacher made all kinds of weird stuff. But, so good...so I got some frozen something or other that I thought would be the same. NOT TRUE.

ManicMandee said...

I personally reaaly like veggies. But never tried collard greens. No thanks.

Mel said...

Note to self, don't try collard greens. And of course who wants food that sat out all night ;) So something I would do.