But not today. I'm using valuable nap time to tell you all about the things I THINK of doing, while I lay on my couch. It's actually quite fun to think so ambitiously, though not so fun to realize all my "thinking" accomplishes very little. But, in the past days and weeks, just look at all the stuff I've THOUGHT about doing:
-- I thought really hard several afternoons in a row, about cleaning off the tops of the dressers in our room. They lie littered with clean laundry (since the closet smell makes me sick), and books (that I've imagined myself reading), and things I don't want Spencer to get (like the spray bottle, my make-up, some bathroom cleaner, etc.) In my mind, I carefully sorted everything, and got a basket for clothes to keep them in the corner by our big chair. Then dusted, thouroughly. Wow. It looked so much better in my mind, and I even lit that lavendar blossom candle to lighten the smell in our bedroom. And the smell didn't even make me sick, with such clean dresser tops!
-- I also dusted the piano, every last inch of it... in my head, of course. I got that soft little micro-fiber cloth from the laundry room, and carefully cleaned all the keys, the legs, the back. Oh, it was going to look so good, I'm sure you can imagine.
-- I didn't go so far as to imagine mopping the kitchen floor, but I did dream of paying someone else to do it. And I imagined that sweet little paid housekeeper lady could read my mind, and knew how to clean it EXACTLY like I like, even moving out that corner plant, which only happens with a really thorough mopping.
-- I went outside and trimmed back all that yucky dead growth on our shrubs and flowers from last year. Or, at least, I planned to, several days in a row. I could see myself sitting in the front lawn, with my gardening gloves and levi jacket on, carefully shaping those two bushes that shoot out red leaves, once the dead ones are cleaned up. While I was at it, I planted the spring bulbs of lily of the valley, and the gladiolus bulbs, and even the roses my mom bought us a few weeks ago. Then, for good measure, I transplanted that house plant into the darling pot I bought (for real -- the pot is real) a few weeks ago.
-- I also dreamed I was so ambitious that I actually bought Samantha a new bed, that she desperately needs. And found the perfect bedding to match, so her room is transformed. While I was in that daydream, I decided I also found a perfect bookshelf to put in the corner of her room, for a perfect price, with free delivery. So, everything is so much more organized and easy to find in her room, of course!
-- Oh yes, I've also written several lengthy letters and emails in my head, to so many people I've been thinking of these past weeks. These letters usually come to me in the middle of a sleepless and nauseating night, so they're especially sappy and filled with gratitude. Who knows, one of them may be to you -- you can imagine it, if you like!
-- My day dreams have lately been a little more extravagant ... Brian and I got tickets to go on a cruise, like we've been thinking about for several months. (I wish, oh I wish!) And, magically, I didn't feel sick the ENTIRE time. Even better, my fast-expanding waisteline actually didn't look too bad in a new swim suit as we sat on the beach in the sun every day, drinking our banana smoothies and what-nots. (I couldn't dream too much about food, because alas, it ruins the mood every time.)
-- I also dreamed up some great European vacations -- revisiting that coastal highway in Spain near Bilbao that we loved, one of our first trips when we moved to London. Then on down to the Moorish ruins to bask in the sun and watch the olive orchards growing. Then back to Prague to watch the apple trees blossoming, and a stop in Switzerland that we always wanted to make but never did. And of course, I thought it was fitting to imagine the tab was on someone else, so we got to stay in the Four Seasons, everywhere we went, just like that one time in Istanbul so long ago.
Welp, folks. As you can see, I have been very busy these days! And one day, when I feel better again, I will maybe start fulfilling at least SOME of those day dreams -- better start small, maybe with the dressers?
9 comments:
i wish i could come and clean your house for you. I hate morning sickness, but aren't you glad you aren't really on that cruise that you were thinking about when you first got pregnant? the only thing worse than morning sickness, is morning sickness coupled with travelers sickness and sea sickness.
My poor little Day-Dreamer girl--How PITIFUL you sound!! But what FANTASTIC Dreams you can think up!!
My, My...I sure do know where you get your CLEANING dreams from...That's just the way I think about cleaning up my basement, and I'm not even PREGNANT!! Hopefully, your TRAVELING dreams can come true sometime---They sound wonderful!! Lots of Love, your mom!!
If I were there I would seriously come over there and take care of at least a few of those things for you!
I feel your pain. Been there, done that. Hardest thing I've ever done is be pregnant and sick and wish I could muster the strength to take care of the normal every day stuff like that. :( Poor Kamber!
You remind me of Dr. Seuss's "Oh the Places You'll Go" Only it would be "Oh the Places You'll Clean" But don't feel too bad. We all have things we'd like to clean, organize, de-junk. And at times we all lack the ambition, or energy to accomplish them. Don't come to my house and look in the corner of my closet, Hp's closet, my pantry.... You can look in the storage room, but that's it, just ignore the dust, I don't dust storage rooms.
Kam - I actually imagined getting your imagined letter in the mail and it was wonderfully sappy and I imagined writing back to you (also sappy) and I love that you sit around imagining all the things you should be doing. I am up to the same thing, though not with morning sickness, just laziness...
So I'm not pregnant, and that's what I do all the time too! Your are very productive, mine usually revolve around other things that will not come to pass. Hope the sickness ends soon! Keep writing, I love reading your blog.
While lying in bed at night, I imagine all the things that I am going to do the next day....But when I wake up, I never have the energy to get them done..
Congratulations on #3. When are you due. By August I hope so I can meet him or her. We got together with the Elieson's a couple weeks ago. Thinking of you!
Very funny! I can totally relate. I felt exactly the same one year ago. I so wanted to work out in the garden as well. It was hard to look at the garden and not be able to do what I wanted with it. The house on the other hand, was a whole other matter. Sounds like mine was much worse off than yours. It probably still is today... oh well, we all have good intentions. The children are our most important task...
Post a Comment