I'm not kidding. She has heard about other friends/cousins who have thrown up or had stomach flu. And she's certainly heard ME lose it plenty of times throughout this pregnancy (but always from the other side of the bathroom door, thankfully). And yet, she's never had it happen to her, lucky girl. She must have Brian's invincible genes when it comes to sickness (knock on wood... and yes, I do realize how fortunate I am as a parent to NOT have dealt with much vomiting in all this time! More knocking on wood, please!!)
Anyway, so, last night at about 5 a.m. when she came crying outside our bedroom door, I thought it must have been a little nightmare or perhaps an "accident." She had spilled a glass of water on her floor a few nights earlier, so I thought maybe that happened again? Well, no... there she was sniffling and whimpering and I asked her what was wrong.
"Something yucky is in my bed," she told me. No, it wasn't water, she said when I asked. "It's something yucky that's all over the kitchen floor, too." Then more crying. I was trying to figure out what she was even talking about when she added, "I think it maybe came out of me."
Oh my poor girl. Brian and I both "got it" then, and he worked at cleaning up the kitchen floor, while I changed sheets and got her resettled in new pajamas, etc. She just seemed so bewildered and almost scared about it. It was actually really sweet to watch her, and to be there to comfort her. Samantha's one who rarely needs to be cuddled or held. Usually she's just so independent and somewhat fearless (except for "scary" movies -- like Snow White -- and dogs that actually want to be petted). Anyway, so I relished getting to be there with her, stroking her forehead and rubbing her back, telling her everything would be okay, and that this just sometimes happens to all of us.
An hour later, it happened again -- as is usually the case with these things, right? Well, she had a bowl and used it well, so we had a quicker, quieter clean up. She seems to be fine now, we'll see! I still just can't believe we've gone almost five years with her not even really knowing what it means to have a sick stomach. Let's just hope Spence doesn't get it -- he already knows what "throwing up" is all about, and he doesn't like it!
Here's our cutie girl, on a "better" day! ...
ps. that "bump" you see under the blankets in the first picture really IS that big! Only 11 more days, and counting!
4 comments:
Poor Sammie! Throwing up stinks! It's truly amazing that this is her very first experience. She must have good antibodies to not have gotten the flu for 5 years!
Eleven days and counting.....good luck to you Kam! Love You!
My poor little GIRL!! What a cutie she is. I'm hoping she's doing okay by now...(I haven't talked to you yet this morning, so I'll call pretty soon and see how everyone's doing.) Love, Mom
Poor little girl. But lucky for you to have not had to deal with a <2 year old that doesn't understand the bowl. I remember the first time J-man threw up, it was in the garage (lucky me) and he said, "Mom, I spilled my oatmeal" It's kind of funny the way they come up with to explain something they don't understand. Hope she gets feeling better soon, she needs to be able to help with that baby!
holy cow, ladies. seriously? Brianna was one day old and threw up so violently that she stopped breathing, and had to be put on oxygen....yeah, you don't know how lucky you are not to have FIVE kids that throw up at the drop of a hat. wow, how did i get so lucky? I hope this next one is like sammie too. that is incredible.
Post a Comment