On Sunday morning, Brian got Samantha and Spencer ready and took them to church (on time, amazingly!) I settled in with Natalie beside me in bed, and started thinking how special it is to have a newborn in our home. She just brings a sweet softness that somehow fills me with more patience, more love, more appreciation. I love it. I feel like I'm more calm and relaxed with Sam and Spence, and I just feel so grateful for the little (and big) things people are doing for me and for our family.
I laid in bed Sunday morning, just watching Natalie sleep beside me for the longest time, just reflecting on the change in our home, in our life, and mainly in me. I almost got up and blogged about it, but then decided to sleep instead.
Fast forward an hour or so... Brian brought the kids home from church and started getting them lunch. I woke up to the sounds of a full-on Samantha Tantrum, with blood-curdling screams, loud shouts of "NO! NO! NO!" and what could only be feet kicking the hard-wood kitchen floor. I just listened from my room, while poor Brian struggled to maintain control for several minutes. The innocent-looking culprit..
It sounded like the Tantrummer was put in time-out in the laundry room, and another screaming/crying fit immediately broke out from Spencer. It was milder, but still intense. Things calmed down for a minute, then I could hear Samantha again, then Spencer. Poor Brian. He later told me it was almost like WWIII was breaking out over what they were going to have for lunch. That's worth a battle, right??
I listened to the ruckus, then rolled over and looked at our peaceful little sleepy newborn next to me. Sweet little innocent baby girl... doesn't even hear the chaos, has no idea what's going on around here...
Life is definitely changing around here. Some of it positive, some of it we'll have to learn to deal with a little better, I guess. Everyone keeps asking how the Sammie and Spencer like the baby. Well, despite their increase in tantrums and whining, they really, really like Natalie, and have been very sweet with her. Spencer loves bringing me my water jug when I'm ready to feed Natalie. He also wants to hold her "by myself" -- which lasts about 3 seconds, just long enough to snap a fun picture like this...
Sammie is such a sweet helper girl. When she holds Natalie, she really IS quite helpful. She loves to get things for me... a blanket, a diaper, the binky, etc. And she loves giving Natalie the softest little kisses on her cheeks and hands and head. It's so cute to watch her be the "little mommy."
And yet, there also seems to be some upheaval for both our older kids. They sense some of this "change" I've been speaking of, and they're not sure what to do with it. So, the littlest things become a battle -- even worse than before (which I thought was pretty bad, when I was 9 mos preggo). But I'm reassured by friends and family all the time, that it's just a phase and we'll just have to wait it out while trying to find new ways to maintain some structure around here. Right?? I'm sure that's all true... patience. patience.
11 comments:
What a very sweet post. I have to agree - newborns bring a special feeling of heaven and calm with them. Thanks for sharing these feelings - gives me something to look forward to and helps me to remember those first days with Aftyn.
Great post, Kamber. I hear you on the upheaval for the older kids. It's almost like overnight what used to be a no-brainer is suddenly this major deal...?!!? Yikes. Here's hoping the phase is a quick one! Thank goodness for the newborn bliss - it's nice to have that to escape to. :)
ps - Natalie is SO adorable!!
Oh the joys and struggles of bringing #3 home. But the struggles will pass. Sammie and Spence will get used to sharing the attention. And sweet little Natalie will just be sweeter everday. She is so darling. And it looks like you have a couple of really good helpers too.
I love the special feeling of a newborn in the house, too! All of these pictures are so sweet. We sure love you and your family and have been grateful that we could share this time with you guys.
I think adjusting to a newborn is the hardest phase for siblings to go through. Its not like they hate their baby, but they don't know how to act, and can't quite settle in to the new life so easily. It detracts a little from the fun newborn. Hopefully with Brian there, you can get some snuggle time in.
Hang on Kam....those kids will get back to "normal" soon. BTW, I have ALWAYS loved the name Natalie. Great Choice!
Hi & Congrats on the new member to your family. You dont know me but I was browsing through blogs when I came upon yours. I love how you write (or should I say type) I was reading a post of when you were having a hard couple of days and could totally relate to the things you were saying and how youve struggled with some of those feelings off and on in your life. I am really hoping im not sounding like a weirdo here because I know that we do not know eachother but I thought id say hello and tell you congrats! I hope you dont mind me following your blog but if you do I completley understand.
-Heather
What a beautiful post . . . about the newborn that is. The rest I can smile at because I know just what you are going through. In fact, I am still going through that just today. Hmmm. I love how you described just how heavenly it is to have a new little snuggly baby and just how crazy and hard it can be to have the others who throw tantrums and kick their feet. Things will adjust just as they did when your life changed by bringing home Samantha and then Spencer. I'm glad Brian is there to help and I'm so glad you are enjoying Natalie so much. She is a true beauty! I love her.
We experienced the same thing when we brought home Alexandra, except I didn't quite realize it at the time (I'm a little slow). So you are ahead of me in that respect. Abby wouldn't look at Alex or hold or for the first day or two because she wasn't sure of what to think about the new one. BTW, regarding my chairs and sanding - I only sanded them lightly. It wasn't much work at all. The man at the Benjamin Moore store said you didn't have to sand chairs (or the table) that much. So go for it!
Oh Kam--thanks so much for taking the time to write this lovely post!! I have tons to say on the subject--but no time. (we're heading for Sharon, VT this beautiful Saturday morning...) So I'll write more later--Love, MOM
Post a Comment