Friday, April 15, 2011

The Tour -- it's a work in progress

You've all see this picture (above) of our new house, here in NY, right? I keep waiting to get things more organized, more "finished" on the inside, so I can put up some decent pictures and show y'all how it looks. Then, I just decided I might as well put up some not-so-decent pictures of our work-in-progress. Because, let's face it... this may be a work-in-progress for a long time.

No decorations hung up yet, and there's still a misplaced futon in our LR, a missing desk in our kitchen, a broken bunk bed in the kids' room, etc... But, it's home. And we're really enjoying it for now. So, here's your tour of the way things look right now...

The Living Room. The rug is my favorite part, and there are some shelves (not pictured) that will be nice, once I get them cleared off...


Living room from the other angle, looking toward the kitchen, hallway, and half-bath...
So, those pictures up there are what the living room looks like at 11p.m., when all the kids are in bed and I've had a chance to tidy things up a bit.

During the day, it looks more like this little tea party...

Or, when I'm not "on duty" (i.e. in the room, picking up as fast as they can tear it apart), it sometimes looks like this...

or this (same day, just a different view)...

The kitchen. Not too big, but not too small, either. Very functional, and we're getting new counters and a sink soon. (Hopefully very soon, as the delivery man dropped them off this morning and they're now sitting behind the kitchen table, waiting to be installed.)...

Yeah, most of the time, it actually looks more like this...

The cute little half bathroom on the main floor. Samantha doesn't like it because it's one where the fan and light are one switch together and she hates the noise of the fan. So, she uses it in the dark with the door open, or she usually just goes upstairs. But I think it's cute...

The super-long hallway leading up to the front door. Check out the new, super soft rug we just got yesterday from overstock.com. I LOVE it!! My feet feel pampered and relieved already!

The entry way, from below...

The entry way, from above. I think a big plant in the corner would spruce it up a lot, no? And maybe a little valance across the window and some eucalyptus in a swag on one side... I've got plans, oh yes.

The big long hallway upstairs, also sporting a new rug that I love even more than the one downstairs. I think I love it most because it means I don't hear every footstep in our hallway allll day long.

Samantha and Spencer's bedroom, with Samantha asleep in her bed, her covers thrown on the floor...

And here's Spencer, in his mattress on the floor. As I mentioned, the bunk beds are broken -- just the safety rails, actually. Maybe a project for this weekend?

Natalie's room. It's bigger than it appears in this picture -- and so is the mess of clothes I've been sorting. It has potential to be really cute, with purple curtains and pink and purple bedding. Fun! It will double as a guest room, once we get that futon moved upstairs.

The upstairs bathroom. It's older, but cleaned up really nicely with a new shower curtain, rugs, and towel rack.

Most people would call this the master bedroom. We should probably just call it the multi-purpose room, since we don't really plan to sleep much while we live here anyway, right? As you can see, there's a sleeping area (Brian needs to read this, so he knows that's what that bed is for!), a baby-entertainment area (swing)...

Also a home office. It's been put to good use many a night already...

A triple-closet wardrobe. You'd think with all those closets I'd have a place for EVERYTHING. But I don't.

And, if I can get it put together, we'll soon have a little library area to boot!


That's the end of the tour for now, folks! I didn't take pictures of the back yard yet... will wait till it's a little warmer and greener. But here's one more of the three cuties, posing as they did for the header shot...

I'm biased, but I think they're all three just scrumptiously adorable. Best part of the tour, if you ask me!

7 comments:

Karen, your mom said...

This last picture Definitely IS the best part of the tour, but thanks for taking us on the tour like you did. I haven't been able to picture those LONG hallways, but now I CAN! Your carpet runners DO make a big GOOD difference and I'm delighted that you got them--AND the nice living room rug. I really don't care for hardwood floors, so I'm glad you've dressed yours up a bit!!


Thanks for the up-date, Kam. I wanted to call you tonight, but it was 10:00--(but midnight your time) by the time we got home from Idaho Falls, and I was afraid you'd be in bed--and hopefully, with your Husband! So I didn't call. But have a nice week-end.

(Oh, and I really like your REAL-LIFE pictures, as well as your "cleaned up" ones!! :) True life sets in, eh?) Love, Mom

Lhone said...

Cute house! You are so funny posting the "real" pics along with the "after the kids go to bed" pics. Too TRUE!

Scott B. said...

Wow. That was really fun to see. I was showing Brie and Ava and they were very upset to find out that this new house of yours is SO VERY far away. Me too. It is really cute though. I love your living room rug as well. The house looks plenty spacious and has lot of character. You are doing a good job (all on your own) turning into your home. That is a tough thing to do because you just want it to be done. Good luck getting it all "spruced up".

Alicia

Travis and Jana said...

What a cute little house! So you're redoing the kitchen? Did you guys buy it or are you renting? I love all your rugs. They're beautiful.
And yes, I have to agree that your three little ones are adorable! Natalie is looking so grown up and cute!

turleybenson said...

I LOVE that living room rug! Looks like a great place, Kam.

CinD B said...

The house is cute! Even in its "natural" state. The rugs are beautiful. The rug in your bedroom would go so well with my denim quilt! Your kids are growing so fast. It's amazing how much Natalie has changed.

Tiffney said...

Fabulous house! Super Darling Kiddos!! Hope NY is becoming home for you now. Remember... there is always a vacation destination for you guys in Eugene OR. ;)