Well, I'm joining the throng of other mother bloggers, writing a post about Samantha's first day of school. She's been looking forward to it alllll summer long. She picked out her rainbow cheetah-print backpack more than a month ago (no Hello Kitty, Dora, or Princess pack for this girl, nosiree!); we got her school supplies three weeks ago; and she had everything all packed up and ready to go three days before school started. She had her clothes laid out the night before (including new Tinkerbell underwears), and was dressed in two seconds this morning. She even BROUGHT me the hair stuff and sat patiently while I did her hair!! (a first, in a looong time!)
Yep, this girl was EXCITED for her first day of school. And school did not disappoint, not today, at least! She came home beaming, talking about all the fun coloring and games and songs they did. "No learning or teaching or homework today, just fun!"
I have pictures to add, but I can't upload them tonight (technological difficulties). So, just picture her in her new little blue and pink hearts outfit, smiling and happy to FINALLY be in school!! (and check back later, because I DO plan to add some pics here).
I thought I'd be the weepy, sentimental mommy about all this back-to-school stuff. I mean, our baby girl is growing up right before our very eyes. Not to mention, this is the END of a lifestyle for us -- we're now TIED to a school schedule, like it or not. I've been anxiously anticipating what all this will mean, over the past few weeks... No more sleeping in if it was a rough night. No more pick-a-day-trip-and-lets-go time for me and my kiddos. Whoah. As you can imagine, I thought I'd shed some tears today. But nope; Samantha's enthusiasm must be contagious.
One quick wave and a hug goodbye, and she was off. We left her sitting happily next to a little girl she knows already from church. As I walked out of the classroom, I noticed another mom wiping away tears and looking so distraught. I looked at her and thought, "Oh, I wonder what's wrong with her??" Then it hit me -- oooohhh. She's a sad mommy of a Kindergartener. Poor her. I just couldn't be sad today.
I'm sure it will hit me three weeks down the road, at some very inconvenient time... I'll suddenly realize we've closed a chapter of our lives, opened a new one. Then you'll get the sentimental, sappy post I thought I'd be writing tonight. But for now, I say, HOOOORAY for Samantha's first day!!
7 comments:
it was nice to not be tied down, but I have enjoyed every stage we've been in so far. I bet you will too. (and, don't tell, but I never cried about my kids moving on to bigger and better things. Does that make me a terrible, heartless mom?)
I'm DELIGHTED for Samantha's excitement and hope it continues right on through! I don't think I cried for my first little guy's first day of school, but I certainly did cry for my 5th and LAST child. I realized that it was indeed, the end of a good 'era', and for me it was truly a time to be sad. But for now, Kam--I'm thrilled with YOUR enthusiasm about the whole thing. It's an exciting ride you'll be on from here on out! (I look forward to pictures soon.) Love, Mom
This is Wade - (using mom's account from her PC... I don't wana log out cuase then I'd have to log back in as her.. or.. well you know, it's just complicated...)
Any way --- I just wanted to say that was a great post to read Kam sis. thanks for taking the time to write out your thoughts!
I missed you and your Fam, alot this last weeekend when we were all together, it was great fun, but not quite 'complete' with out the bishops, ya know? I took some fun pics, that I'll try to get posted soon.
love ya lots sister Kamber! Tell Sammy, I'm proud of her going to school and all! Way to go Samantha!!!
Love - Wade.
I didn't cry either. It's hard to be sad when they are so excited and READY! And we all know Sammie was ready. I worried about being tied down, but at the same time it's nice to get a schedule going. I find I get more done that way.:)
How exciting!! Isn't it? I wasn't sad either, just so excited for Brie to get to move on, make new friends, learn new things, be with a new teacher.. . everything. I'm excited for Samantha too. I'm sure she is going to love school. And think of your days with just a Spencer and a Natalie. Wow. That will feel so different. I want to see pictures when you have them ready.
I am so excited that Samantha's so excited! While visiting my sister here in Twin Falls, her oldest just started kindergarten and we picked him up at the end of school one day. There at the crosswalk was a very little girl, waiting to cross, and that's about when I started tearing up thinking of my own little girlie someday getting so big to go to school. I am so excited for that day to come for her because I know she will love it, and I'm sure I will to. I'm just kind of glad it will be a few years from now. :) And when it happens, I'm hoping I will be happy for her like you are for Samantha. Yay for new things! Just have to add, we miss you all!
I keep meaning to ask you if you have a blog and, Lucky me, I found it on Elisa's! So excited!
I'm glad that Sammy's first day went so well.
Post a Comment