It's a bit of a rough ride around here, folks. And this little entry is possibly better suited for a journal instead of a blog. But, as I find myself in front of the computer tonight, and as I see that no one is commenting anyway (sniff sniff -- not a single person cared to write ANYTHING about Samantha's birthday??), I'll just use this as my attempt at journaling a bit of our latest.
It's about the Job. As in, Brian's Job. We all know it's unbearable, and we've all known that from Day One, right? (And by "we" I include all you lurking readers who have heard the ghastly tales in past posts.) Yes, we know it stinks. And really, it doesn't do to dwell on the downers. But sometimes, well... the glass seems far *less* than just half full. What's the optimistic way to say there's only a tiny little bit left in that darn glass?? I think we need a fill up, please!
I started off this new year with a "new attitude!!" I set a bunch of goals, and had a GREAT first week of 2012. Well, great, except for the fact that Brian was gone, gone, and more gone every day and most of every night. But I tried not to dwell on that... ate healthy food, did some yoga, read stories to the kiddos, cleaned the bathrooms, and even went to bed at a reasonable hour. For a whole week!
Then, it became Week Two. And well... Brian still wasn't home. At all. So, why bother going bed at a reasonable hour, if HE wasn't?! I had hardly lost any weight, so why bother eating quite so healthy? (Don't worry, I didn't binge too badly.) Also, aren't the kids just as easily entertained by Netflix as they are by stories from mom? And my body was pretty stiff, from all that yoga so... introduce a week-long yoga break. And who cares about laundry, let alone bathrooms?!? All this, for a whole week! (Yes, there were tears, on multiple occasions -- mine, and my children's! And maybe even Brian's, but he wasn't here for me to document it.)
A comparison?
Week One = good.
Week Two = bad.
Week One = happy wife tries to offer comfort and cheer to a very over-worked, weary husband.
Week Two = weary, lethargic wife can hardly roll out of bed to face the kids each morning, even stoops to thinking menacing thoughts about the over-worked husband who rolled into bed at 5 a.m. and is STILL asleep as wife gets up at 7:30! (Imagine!!)
Week One = checking things off lists.
Week Two = chucking lists in the trash.
Week One = making plans with friends, enjoying the occasional, necessary "break" (even though I do feel bad Brian couldn't take one, too)
Week Two = wallowing in front of lame-o Netflix movies night after night, willing myself to stay awake just that much longer, for no good reason.
The only REAL difference, I hate to admit, was the way I faced what was in front of me. I hate to admit it, because I like to blame my downer days on the fact that it really stinks that Brian has to work so much -- stinks for him, especially, and it stinks for me, too. And I like to think that Week Two was WORSE, because one can only take so much of this and then there's some hidden breaking point and I must have hit it as I started into that second week.
But if I'm totally honest?
I just got short sighted. I stayed up too late, and justified it by telling myself I was doing "necessary" things (that really aren't so necessary after 10 p.m., right?) Then I felt exhausted and short-tempered in dealing with kids, then guilty at the end of the day for what I didn't get done and how poorly I mothered my babies. Then I stayed up late again to "try" to get some stuff done, but ended up just feeling slumpy and watching more movies or sitcoms. Lame.
Of course, I like to blame all that on Brian's job. It's easier that way, isn't it?
But see, then I went to sleep at 9:30 p.m. last night (unprecedented!), slept all the way until 7:30 a.m., and -- like MAGIC -- I am back to Week One attitude! Magic, I tell you. I believe in sleep. I believe in goals. I believe in trying harder to maintain that "half-full" perspective, even though I sometimes think it might go against something in my very nature. So, I'm trying again... starting right now with another early night, and hopefully another productive, happier day tomorrow.
There's my journal entry for the night. And for the record, Brian's job really IS absolutely TERRIBLE -- no matter if the glass is half-full. It's just the truth.
But we're surviving. :)
11 comments:
I truly envy your ability to even TRY looking on the bright side! If I were in your situation I'm pretty sure I'd be wallowing every single day.
The job does suck and I feel badly for both of you. But you're an amazing lady!
P.S. - Sorry I didn't comment on Sammie's birthday! :)
My poor little girl--I'm so sorry for the bad week you just had, and so GLAD for the bright new attitude you're having for THIS week!! I wonder what in the world could possibly help Brian to develop a bright new outlook on things!! Poor guy!! He's GOT to be about at the end of his rope!
I hope you both can see some light at the end of the tunnel--here pretty soon! You're both doing wonderfully well at all you do, it seems to me like, and I think you're perfectly well within your rights to feel a bit "down" sometimes. It's good, too, that you can 'pull yourself UP', and I'm glad you're doing that now. We sure are looking forward to SEEING you all in the next few weeks, so just thinking about getting to come to Idaho, oughta cheer you up and keep you on the Happy Side! Right?? So...Keep on filling your glass up with pleasant thoughts, Babe. (be glad you're not having to have Shoulder Surgery!!) Love, Mom
Hi Kam~
I just need to tell you that I love you, and that things will work out . . . I think that we have all gone through those really rough job patches in our life! Keep journaling about it - it's bound to get better. And, Netflix is fun . . . you are a great mom!
Happy late birthday to your sweet little angel Samantha!
Hugs,
Barb
I have a solution! MOVE BACK TO CALDWELL!!!!!! I know it sounds easy right? Well I thought I would give it a try! We miss you and wish you were back here. Just remember it's only temporary, and you can make it through anything! I love reading your blog, you sometimes write what I am not bold enough to put on my blog! Miss you! Bye!
Oh Kamber, I loved reading your journal entry. I have been there and done that. One week is wonderful and the next horrible. So sorry to hear about Brian's Job. I am with Ann - Move back to Caldwell where Brian was home ALOT and we get to see you ALOT. Keep your chin up and looking on the bright side. You are a strong Young lady and your Heavenly Father loves you.
Love, Emily S.
We all have those weeks, sometimes it's actually just a day, sometimes as long as a month. And YES you have every right in the world to feel the way you did last week, but I would say you are handling it all much better than I would. And having moments, however long they last, is only human. But know that I admire you and your endurance, and positive attitude. Cause while the Brian's job glass barely has a drop in the bottom, it seems your life glass is usually half full, or more. Keep it up, and know that all of us back at Home, love you, miss you and also can't wait for you to come back. Both for the short visit soon, and for good a little while after that.
I know you're not going to believe me, but I actually DID write a happy birthday message for Samantha, clicked on "publish your comment," but nothing happened. TRUE STORY. But when it didn't publish, I said, "Ah, screw it." I didn't have the energy to rewrite it. But I wrote a lot about how creative you were. Seriously, those party games? Genius.
I love you, Kam. You're a superstar, for real.
Hey look at all these comments! My blog is sadly lacking on comments these days too. In my case, I don't comment because its too hard to do on my iPhone, which is where I almost read blogs nowadays.
Anyway, I don't know how you do it. What IS the end in sight? I hope it's soon. I think it's ok to have bad days, but also the older I get I realize that even justified grumpiness/anger/bitterness isn't helpful. I'm trying to learn to rise above. Let me know if you figure that out, I'll do the same for you. :)
Holy cow, we just commented on each others' blogs AT THE EXACT SAME TIME!! I knew we were kindreds. :)
Kamber
I love the honesty. Seriously.
Knowing that you've had those 2 weeks and that you sacrificed driving here to visit with us means a lot to me!
I think I have a lot to learn from you because as you described your week 2, I was seeing a lot of myself there. Well, more like my old back-in-Idaho self. Not sure what my life will look like here. :) You gave me some good advice, even though you really weren't trying to. This much I know, at moments in my life when I find myself in the yucks, I generally feel this urge to kneel down and pray and Heavenly Father gives me some kind of a hint as to what I can do to start feeling better. It always works. Sounds like he does the same for you. Thanks for the great advice!
It's amazing how eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep, and excercising can uplift even the worse of attitudes for me. Take care of yourself, and everything will be easier to handle.
I totally know how awful it can be to have hubby gone all the time. It wears on you mentally and physically. My advice is to make sure you get out by yourself. Just plan on doing date night alone. Get a sitter, and be away and not thinking about all the stresses. Just chill by yourself! Good luck. I don't envy you!
Post a Comment