Saturday, October 20, 2012

Nonfiction

Samantha's Grandma Susan found three big boxes of books in a long-lost closet she had forgotten about for several years. They are the old-school, hard cover books that Brian had as a kid... probably hundreds of them. Grandma Susan decided each of the kids could pick ten books when they came over. She told us about this a few days ago, and Samantha has been super excited to go to grandma's so she could pick her ten books.

Today was the big day! New/old books for Samantha, Spence, and Natalie. Well, we got home, and the first book Samantha pulled from her bag was a big encyclopedia of insects, with huge color pictures of grasshoppers, katydids, bees, etc. She was thrilled, and had me pause my work to look at several large insects. Next, she showed me her "things that fly" book, all about airplanes and helicopters of different varieties. And then, she started reading aloud to me about woolly mammoths, from her new book about prehistoric animals.

After awhile, she stopped to look over her complete collection of books she had just acquired. "I guess I like nonfiction, Mom," she told me. "Seven out of ten of my books are nonfiction, and only three are fictional story books."
Is this normal six-year-old behavior? If it's not, I'll take it anyway! I love our inquisitive little school girl!

5 comments:

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Aftyn has started really enjoying the PBS shows that are based on animals and other such "real" things. I think she's heading down the same road. I think it's great! By the way, I love this picture of Samantha and I'm completely curious where it was taken!

karen said...

My Goodness! I certainly don't know WHAT'S "with" my Grandkids, but that's how LOTS of them have been!!

Karen said...

Woops--I got 'cut off' before I FINISHED!! I was going to say that LOTS of our grandkids have had an interest in those particular items--animals, wooley crawly things, etc., but they've all been BOYS!!! :) You've got a VERY EXCEPTIONAL GIRL there, I believe!!

Of course, if Alysa's little Aftyn is also interested in stuff like this, it likely runs in Brian's and Reed's "genes". YOU, my dear Kam, were never very interested in Dolls and 'girly things', though--remember? But I always thought it was because you had FOUR Brothers!! Samantha truly IS a Bright one, and has been from the time she was really little, I believe!! Lots of Love, your mom (p.s. and lots of LUCK in raising her!!) :)

ManicMandee said...

What a smarty pants! I've got a couple of kids like that and I love it.

A few things here:
*I have been terrible about getting on blogs. I go in spurts. Sorry, I'm just now getting on here.
*I think you are amazing and I really, really like you :)
*Love all your posts here and all that you have done. Your trip sounds perfect. I want to duplicate it. Ok, minus some of the stuff you mentioned...

Joyce said...

How interesting. That is exactly like Abby. She prefers non-fiction as well. She loves history and books that teach her something like books about bugs or holidays in India. Sammy is the complete opposite. She loves a good story. I love that they are both so different. We need to catch up one of these days. I hope you are enjoying Idaho...