-- 4500 miles
-- 16 states
-- 14 days
-- 3 kids, age 6, 4, and 2
-- 6 to 10 hours in a car each day
-- fast food and sandwiches for most meals
-- 9 hotel stays
-- 5 nights with friends or family
-- 3 national parks
-- 8 state capitol buildings
What a trip! See, I planned to blog or at least post fb updates as we went along. But then, it seemed like I was just EXHAUSTED by the time we got to our hotel each night. And well... it just didn't happen. So, now you get the less exciting "after" version, in however many installments it takes me to write about this wild and crazy adventure.
Day 1: Leaving Harrison
Saturday, Sept 29
I didn't get a last picture of our empty house the day we left. But Brian did get this funny one of all three kids in a box together, as we were packing up. It was sad to say goodbye to our house, but such a relief to FINALLY get everything packed up and all the last cleaning done. Whew!
We stayed the last two nights with our sweet friends, the Anguses. They let us stay in their basement apartment -- two bedrooms, a living room and a bathroom. Such a nice place to regroup! Thanks to Spencer, sneaking the camera for a quick photo shoot, you get this lovely view of the living room area...
You also get this close-up of Spencer's shorts, as he was hiding under the table, taking pics of the room, sneaky boy!
Tuata Angus and me, as we were heading out. I will miss her and her husband. They had us over for Christmas dinner last year, and always made us feel so welcome in their home, and at church. They're from Australia/New Zealand; I will miss hearing their fun accent.
We stopped at the house one last time, so the kids could see it all emptied out. Then, on to Harrison Library to check out books for our trip. What a clever idea, eh? We checked out several books on CD, plus some "real" books, then mailed them to our friend to return to the library. (Thanks, Lindsay!)
The kids played in the nearby gazebo and park, while Brian and I took turns in the library, picking what we wanted to read...
Samantha, "posing" in front of the war memorial at the park. I will miss our little Harrison town. It really has a charming feel. And it has a Dunkin Donuts. My kids will miss that, too.
We headed over the Tappan Zee Bridge and into New Jersey. Within the first 50 miles, Brian taught Natalie this fun trick. It's called "put your diaper on your head!" Samantha and Spence thought it was hilarious, so of course Natalie did it quite often throughout our trip!
That first day, we had plans of leaving bright and early, making good time, and stopping to see Gettysburg and drive through Hershey, Pennsylvania. Well. We reinstated our family motto that day: Everything Takes Longer. (Not the most inspiring motto, I know. But true to life, and helpful to remember when starting a two-week road trip with kids.)
We did NOT see Gettysburg. It is still on our "next time" list. And our drive through Hershey was short and the chocolate museum was closed. So, we scooted along to Harrisburg, PA, where we stayed in a nice hotel downtown. They were having an atheist convention at the hotel that night. Interesting. Brian took the kids swimming, while I went to get us some dinner somewhere. I got lost, drove through some sketchy neighborhoods in Harrisburg, and learned that my GPS does NOT hunt down "grocery stores" very well. But it did eventually lead me to a Walmart... not the best dinner, but edible.
Back at the hotel that night, I went swimming after the kids were in bed. Some drunk people from the atheist convention were swimming in their undies. ahem. Security people had to come kick them out of the pool, where they proceeded to dress and flirt and swear, right beside the pool. Not the best swim, but I pretty much had to pool to myself after they left.
Harrisburg's capitol, with the green dome. It's right next to a big river, which is a nice setting, we thought...
Day 2: Maryland and West Virginia, flat tires and rain
Sunday, Sept 30 -- Happy Birthday Jenn Hone (we thought of you!)
We didn't know it at the time, but our second day we drove through some of the most beautiful scenery of the entire trip. We passed through the Appalachian Mountains (wow! I actually spelled that right on the first try, pretty impressive, eh?!). Rolling hills, red barns and white farm houses, bright fall colors, etc. It was gorgeous. I snapped a quick pic as we drove. Now I wish we would have stopped for a real pic instead....
It was Sunday, so we went to church at a ward in Cumberland, Maryland. (I wondered if that's where the Cumberland Gap is, but Brian said he didn't think it was. Anyone know??) The kids were restless, and we still had a lot of driving to go, so we hurried off. But then... bad news for us. We had a nail in a tire. We pumped it up and tried to drive on, thinking it would be hard to get it fixed on Sunday. But it went flat again quickly. So we had to stop and buy new tires... FOUR of them, since our tread was fairly low. Bummer.
Yes, I took a picture, while we waited to get our tires changed...
And then, I took several pics of this cutie, while I changed her diaper and blew raspberries on her tummy in the change room at the tire place. (Did I mention it was quite a wait??)
I think that was probably the least desirable day of our trip. During church, one of the speakers mentioned how grateful they were to have the blessing of spending eternity with their family. I silently added to myself, "eternity... but hopefully NOT in a minivan!"
In the evening, as we tried to make up time after the tire incident, our kids were out of control, screaming and fighting and whining like wild banchees in our back seat. I told Brian, "I think you can just drop me off at the next airport, and I'll meet you and the kids at home when you get there in a few weeks. Hey, I'll even take Nat with me, since she isn't two for a few more days." I was serious. We eventually pulled over, and Brian and I stood outside the car for a full five minutes, while our kids continued to scream and fight and cry in the car. They would open the door occasionally, but we made them close it again until they were ALL DONE. That was probably the lowest moment -- for everyone. See why I was thinking "eternity -- NOT in a minivan?"
We spent the night in Charleston, West Virginia. Nice place, even in the rain.
Day 3: West Virginia, Kentucky and Tennessee
Monday, October 1 -- Happy October! (Brian 'got' me.)
We drove by the capitol building first thing in the morning, before we left Charleston. It was also a nice city, built between two rivers, I think.
I wanted to get a picture of the "Welcome to Kentucky" sign, because Brian had never been to Kentucky. But I missed. So I got this lousy shot of a water tower, and a semi...
Lots of driving meant lots of "thinking about what to do" for our kids in the back seat. Natalie liked taking off her clothes. Not sure why she does this, but she is quite skilled at removing her shirt while in her car seat...
We made it to the Kentucky capitol building, in Frankfort. (Aside, Frankfort is tiny, and the capitol building may be its only claim to fame, in case you wondered.) I already posted a few pics from the inside, but here are a couple more. Check out that massive set of stairs, and that little Spencer head at the very bottom...
And here's the champ, at the top of the stairs. I'm sure he would have hummed the Rocky theme music, if he knew Rocky, eh?
Next stop, Nashville, Tennessee. We had our best swimming pool on the trip that night. I wish I would have taken pictures of it, it was that nice. There was a big hot tub, too. And we had the place all to ourselves, for over an hour. Good times!
Stay tuned for more. I promise it's coming, even though there's so much unpacking still to do around here! I'll be back!
2 comments:
Sounds like a trip full of memories. We are a half hour from Gettysburg and Hershey, if you need a place to stay when you come back to see them.
P.S. The Cumberland Gap is near where the states of Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia all meet.
Hey Kam--I LOVED reading about your trip. I know I got a "play by play" right while it was happening, but it's really great to me to get to SEE and hear about each of the places you went.
In the process of you leaving New York, I feel ESPECIALLY SORROWFUL (along with the kids), about you having to leave the DUNKIN' DONUTS!!! :) :)
Thanks for putting the time into this Post. I eagerly await reading your NEXT section!! Love, Mom (p.s. I thought that was really a clever idea for you two to stand outside the car until the noise stopped inside!!)
Post a Comment