Sunday, December 01, 2013

My Memories of Wade

Wade was always four years older than I am. He was my ideal big brother in every sense of the word as I grew up. He set the example for all our family, and I know my parents were so proud of him, because they told him often how much it meant to them to see him make right, good choices that helped the rest of his siblings want to be good and make right choices also. What a blessing, to have someone so kind and gentle and intelligent to pave our path. I've always been grateful to him for that.

As a tiny girl, I couldn't pronounce his name, so I called him "Weed." He thought it was cute and funny, so when I got a little older, he would remind me and ask me to call him Weed again sometimes. So I did -- to this day. I also called him Wah-day a lot, in reference to a joke he made in junior high school: He said there was a substitute in one of his classes one day, and she was calling roll. The kid in front of him was Latino, and told her "I prefer Jorge (the Spanish pronunciation, like Hoar-hay)." Next she called Wade's name, and he told her "I prefer "Wah-day." All the kids snickered, but she didn't catch on, and she obediently called him Wah-day for the entire class. The other kids all called him Wah-day for several days after that, and then, once he told me, it was so funny to me that I guess it kind of stuck. Even when he would call to chat, just last month, he'd say, "Kambi (one of his nicknames for me), my sister!" and I would answer, "Wah-day! my brother!" Funny guy.

One favorite family story about Wade, from before I can really remember... Wade was six, and was “in charge” while my mom ran some errands and got some goodies for a picnic we were planning to take later that day. (I think my dad was working on farm equipment behind the house, so there was technically an adult present, sort of, if anyone wonders.) Wade found some matches somewhere, and started striking them, and I got scared and upset. I was NOT a rule breaker, and even at 2, I knew it was against the rules to play with matches. So, I threatened to tell on him for his deviousness.

When my mom came home a few minutes later, she could obviously smell that someone had been lighting matches. She started inquiring, and Wade intently denied at first. So, I did my duty and blurted out, “It was WADE!! Wade was playing with the matches, Mom. And he tried to FIRE MY CLOTHES!!” Apparently, when I had said I was going to tell Mom, Wade had lit a match and held it up to my dresser, threatening to start it on fire and burn up all my clothes if I told on him. Oh boy!

I was the rat, and Wade was in big trouble that day. But the sad thing is, we all kind of got punished for that one. My mom decided the thing Wade wanted most was to go on that picnic to Tautphus Park in Idaho Falls. So, even though she’d just bought all the stuff for a picnic, we didn’t go. None of us.  A sad lesson, but very effective. I don’t think Wade ever played with matches  again. And thank goodness he didn’t burn down my dresser – or the house!

When I was first starting school, Wade gave me lots of "tips" on how to enjoy and make the most of my time as a student. I remember him telling me which teachers were good, which ones might make life rough, etc. My first day of first grade, I got to ride the "big kids" bus to school instead of the little kindergarten bus. I got on nervously and found a seat. To my surprise, Wade got on behind me, followed me to my seat and sat down with me. He told me, "I probably won't sit by you every day, but this will just make you feel a little less nervous for your first day of school." What a sweetheart, huh? He also came and found me on the playground occasionally, just to make sure I was okay. He told me, "If anyone is ever picking on you, just come find me and I'll take care of things." 

Wade was extremely intelligent and loved to read. He always, always had a book with him -- or several. When I was old enough to enjoy reading somewhat, he recommended books he thought would be appropriate and engaging for me... The Great Brain series when I was younger, DragonLance novels when I was into fantasy in college. When I was in high school, I remember reading "The Outsiders" for a school assignment. I came out of my room bawling, after reading the very sad, unfair ending. Wade sat down with me and analyzed the book with me for several minutes. I remember him pointing out, "I know it's sad, Kam, but isn't it so cool that an author can make you feel so intently about characters that are completely fictitious?!" He's the one who recommended "Ender's Game" when I was really stressed with finals at BYU right before I graduated. I totally blew off ALL my classes for a day and a half and just read that book. Then I called him (and Blaine, who also loved it) to discuss and analyze it for over an hour. He thought it was so amusing that I skipped class to read, which sounded much more like something he would do, than I!

When I turned twelve, I got to go to Youth activities in the evenings once a week, at the church. Wade was 16 and he generally drove me and Lance there, and we went to our separate activities, then rode home together. One night, when I was headed to the car, Wade was outside the church on the lawn, where a few of his friends were wrestling. I stood by and watched as things started getting intense between two boys. Wade was on the sidelines, but he stepped in to break up the fight. The one who was losing bowed out, but the aggressive boy, Jim, started teasing with Wade, and jumped on Wade's back. Wade took it, for a few minutes, and wrestled light-heartedly with Jim. But then Jim was getting even more aggressive and was bigger than Wade. It wasn't a fair fight, and it was getting intense again. I heard Wade say, "that's enough, Jim" and "okay, get off now, Jim." Finally, when Jim wasn't getting the picture, Wade's voice got loud and firm and he said, "Damn it, Jim!! Get off me, NOW!" It was startling enough to hear Wade swear, that Jim immediately got off him, apologized, and Wade walked me and Lance to the car. Once we were in the car, it was easy to tell Wade was in a bad mood about that little incident. He sat in the driver's seat for a minute but didn't start the car. After he composed himself a bit, Wade turned around to face me in the back seat and said, "Kamber, I'm really sorry you had to hear that. I don't normally talk that way, and I'm sorry I had to use that word in front of you. It seemed to be the only way to get Jim to understand. But I'm still sorry." I've never forgotten how humble he was, and how protective he was of me, his little sis.

Wade was always so sweet and kind to my friends. My best friend from grade school, Kerri, called Wade her "dance partner," because when we first started attending youth dances for church, if Kerri was having a bad night, not getting enough attention, Wade would pick her out and ask her to dance, just to brighten her evening. He liked to tease my friends, but never too much. When he first met my other best friend, Amber, he came into the room with the Vulcan sign (from Star Trek -- two fingers together on each side, to form a V), and told her "greetings, Earthling. Live long, and prosper." She, of course, thought he was weird, but funny, too.

Wade went on his mission to Argentina when I was in high school. I remember writing so many "deep feeling" letters to him while he was gone. He was my secret keeper, my journal, for awhile. Our family sent him a VHS home video for Christmas one year, and each of us took a turn recording ourselves talking to him. I still can't watch that video without blushing with embarrassment... I was trying not to cry, missing him so much, wanting to tell him how much I loved him and looked up to him. It's all a little too emotionally "raw" and intense for me to see on tape, even now. But it sure does show how much I loved that older brother!

The day he came home from his mission, I was in our town's version of a Junior Miss pageant (I didn't win a single award, btw. Maybe it was the nose bleed I got during the "composure and presence" section? or maybe it was my not-so-snazzy singing routine with the red boa and black fishnet tights?) Well, I knew Wade was coming home that day, and that all my family was going to meet him at the airport. But I wouldn't be able to go with them to see him, since I was having dress rehearsals for the big show all day. So, the first time I would see Wade would be after my performance. I told my mom I had had several dreams of that moment, when I'd finally get to see Wade after his mission. In most of my dreams, he had run up to me, picked me up in a big hug, and twirled me around in the air like a little girl. I guess my mom must have told him about my dreams, because that night, after the show was over, he came running up onto the stage where I was, and he scooped me up in a big hug and twirled me around and around in my peachy satin dress, with all my family and cousins and friends watching. It was sooo exciting and memorable, and wonderful to have Wade home again. And I felt like such a princess, because he told me over and over again how grown up I was, and how pretty he thought I was. He was the first guy to ever tell me how beautiful my eyes are. And I've never forgotten the compliment.

I got to go on a fun road trip with Wade shortly after his mission. I was 18, he was 22, and he asked if I wanted to ride with him to Arizona that summer before I started college. It was a fun trip, if short. I learned that Wade LOVES to drive... and has the stamina to keep going allll night! It was so fun to talk with him about anything and everything for hours and hours as we rode along together. We stayed in Gilbert, AZ with one of his mission companions, Shawn Hastings, for a few days. I remember tasting custard for the first time on that trip and loving it. I also remember thinking Wade's friend was dreamy, but his friend thought I was a preteen until ten minutes before we were leaving, and Wade told him I was 18... the benefits of looking younger than I am were NOT real benefits to me back then. ha! Anyway, we stopped at the Hoover Dam on our way home, and stood on top of it. Pretty amazing. I think Wade spit off the top, as any brother would. Then we started our drive home. We were thinking of stopping in Vegas, but then decided to just keep driving, since Wade just had endless amounts of energy for that. About 1 a.m., he asked if I would drive for an hour or so (the first time the whole trip), so he could get a little rest. I was nervous, because his truck was a standard -- not my forte. But he gently talked me through a rough start-up, until I was up to freeway speed. And then he nodded off. Not 15 minutes later, a police officer pulled me over for a missing headlight! I was too nervous to start driving again, with that officer behind us. So, Wade traded me places and said he'd gotten all the sleep he needed. We've always laughed about how I only drove for those short miles... not much help for poor Wade. But it was a fun trip together.

One year, for Christmas, Wade drew my name for our sibling gift exchange. On Christmas morning, I unwrapped a big, green ceramic life-size turtle, painted to look very real, yet very cute. It was not what I would normally expect to receive from Wade, but I smiled and thanked him for it enthusiastically. "Yeah, you're welcome, Kam," he said. "I got it for you, for your collection." I raised my eyebrows a little, then thanked him again without saying more. The truth was, I had no turtle collection, but I didn't want him to feel bad about it or anything. So, there I sat, holding the turtle, with Wade smiling proudly at it and me. Then, after a minute or so, he said, "oh... wait a second... Oh man! You're not the one who collect turtles, are you?! That was Kimberly! (his ex-fiancee)... And oh man!! It wasn't even turtles she collected, it was FROGS!" Woops! By that time, the whole family was listening and then laughing. I kept the turtle, it's still sitting on the hutch shelf in my dining room. And, for several years, I then had a turtle collection; Wade, my dad and mom, and sometimes my other brothers thought it was fun to occasionally add one more turtle -- for my collection!

Wade came to my college graduation with my parents. He was the only one of my siblings who could make it, so my fan club was very small-- just Wade and Dad and Mom. But I was so proud to see them all three there. Wade made me really feel like it was a special accomplishment, and pointed out several times that I was the first college grad in our family. He made me feel proud of myself... and he asked about my cute roommates. :)

I can't say I got a whole lot of letters from Wade while I was a missionary. But when I did hear from him, I loved his insights and testimony... and his handwriting; it was original, including the spelling. Of all the people I know, Wade was most excited to see the advancement of word-processing programs, so some "machine" could correct his spelling for him. He often said, "If you can tell what it says, why does it need to be spelled right anyway?!" I always loved any letters or cards I got from Wade, and especially loved looking at his signature. It's original, and legible, and encompasses a lot of personality in it -- a big curvy W to start his first name, a swirling L for his middle initial, and a very readable "Hone" with a fancy H. I will miss seeing it.

After my mission, I worked in Salt Lake City for a few years. Whenever Wade was in town, he called and arranged to have lunch with me. We often went to Olive Garden where I got the salad and Wade loved the breadsticks and pasta. We both loved their raspberry lemonade. Wade always paid for my lunch, even after I was married, if I ever had a one-on-one lunch with him, he was such a gentleman that way. I don't think I'll ever drink a raspberry lemonade at Olive Garden without thinking of Wade... it's been that way for years, though -- just one of his things, ya know?

When I lived in Boston, Wade was living in California. He loved to call my cell phone and marvel with me about how cool it was to be a coast-to-coast family, all plugged in to the latest technology. "You could be standing in the sand at the Atlantic Ocean," he'd say, "talking to me while I stand in the sand looking out at the Pacific Ocean! And we could just be talking on our cell phones, like we were next door to each other! Amazing!" He set up a blog of sorts, before blogs were really a thing. He invited all our family (and some friends) to contribute to the blog whenever. It was a fun way to keep in touch, and he loved seeing all of us participate in his "techy" advancement. I think it was on his blog where we started exchanging recipes one day. Late at night, when he was beyond tired, he got a clever idea to write his own recipe... How to Make Chocolate Milk. He posted it on the blog, something like this: 1. open fridge door, and remove milk jug to counter. 2. Get a large glass from cupboard or wash one from the sink, or use a paper cup if you don't like doing dishes. 3. Pour milk into glass, as much milk as you want to drink. 4. Get Nestle's Quick chocolate powder from cupboard. 5. With a large, clean spoon, stir in 2-3 heaping tablespoons of powder into the milk. If it is not dark enough chocolatey color, stir in another tablespoon, to taste. 6. Drink and repeat if necessary. End. Well, he told us that after he'd posted it to the blog, he thought his recipe was so clever and funny (mainly because it was sooo late, and he was sooo tired), that he decided to go ahead and email it out to all his colleagues at work, including supervisors. Ha! After a good night's sleep, he woke up and remembered what he'd done, with some embarrassment. His colleagues were amused... at least some of them. But it was rather random and, in retrospect, quite hilarious. I wish I could find his REAL recipe, somewhere...

Wade came to see me twice in Boston. Once, he was in NY for a quick work conference. He convinced a colleague to go in on a car rental for the one free day he had, and they drove up to Boston just for a couple of hours. We went to dinner, then he and his colleague drove back to NY to continue their conference. It was such a treat to see him there, and to have his "compliments" about New England, which I had grown to love. He came again a couple of years later, for just a day or two. I remember he took a red-eye to get there, but then insisted that we not waste the day with sleep. So me and my friends and boyfriend took him all around the city. He LOVED it and acted sooo excited about everything we saw together, especially all the spring blooms. He took pictures all over the city. At one point, I got pulled over for a right turn on red, but really my light wasn't red. When the officer started to scold me, I showed my East Coast aggressiveness and argued with the officer, knowing I was right. Wade was shocked at how bold I was, and smoothed things over politely with the officer, while trying to "shush" me. He liked to tell that story in front of my parents, for some reason -- even at our most recent family bbq this summer, that story came up. ha!

When Brian and I got married, Wade wrote the sweetest tribute to us both, in my friends-and-family journal I was keeping at the time. He made me feel like I was getting the BEST guy in the world, and that he was soooo excited to have Brian as his one and only brother-in-law. He was going through a somewhat hard time right then -- he had been laid off from his job in California, and had moved to Boise. He'd not been very active in church for awhile. But he made an effort to go back to church, and get to know his bishop and ward members, so he could be worthy to renew his temple recommend, and be with us in the temple the day we were married. That meant a lot to me. I have a picture of my four brothers and me on my wedding day. It's one of my favorites from that day -- one I always dreamed of, long before I knew who I would marry or what my day would be like.

This is getting long. And I am loving writing it. But now, I must sleep. So, I'll probably add to this soon. But I want to post it, while it's fresh, and while I'm reliving such sweet memories without feeling too sad about it all. Let's just say, to be continued......

4 comments:

Timo said...

Hi Kamber, these are just beautiful tributes and reflections about Wade and your time of grieving and celebrating him. It is awesome that you have so many fun memories of Wade--you weren't just brother and sister, but close friends, and not all siblings get that close. He blessed the lives of so many people.

Karen, Kam's mom said...

Kamber, this is indeed a beautiful write-up. Thank you so much for putting these memories in writing like this. I really love reading about how thoughtful our Wade was, but it's SO HARD to think that he's not still around, isn't it!
I'm printing off all three of your writings and putting them in that booklet you started here for us. They'll be so special for the years ahead. Thanks for taking the time to do this, Kam. I think it's GREAT and it's probably pretty therapeutic for YOU too, to sit and think of these precious memories. I'm sorry things are being so hard on you, Babe, but you sure are loved by this Mom!!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Kamber, I love reading about Wade. I may have met him once, but through you I have gotten to know what a sweet and loving big brother you have. Thanks for sharing your memories with all of us!

Erin said...

I loved every word of this! So much fun to read. And I'm glad you enjoyed writing it.