Yes, today was a better day.
Much better, in fact.
I'm not sure what made it so much better, considering my back still hurts and I only got 5 1/2 hours of sleep last night. But I sure felt better today. Probably it was getting that whole rant out of my system and onto (virtual) paper. It's not that I solved any of my prioritizing dilemmas. But just putting it out there helps somehow. I can let it go for a little bit. (And then I start singing like Elsa, of course.)
Here are things I did that made it feel like a better day:
Got the kids to school on time. Went grocery shopping for TONS of healthy food right after dropping off kids. Ate delicious, nutritious stuff all day. Organized my pantry and fridge enough to fit and find all the food I bought today. Changed that hall lightbulb that's been out for a whole month because it's high and hard to reach. Had a dance party with Brian and the kids, using Spencer's new strobe light Christmas toy from Grandma Hone. Exercised and showered before bed. Goooo me!! It was a good day, and I didn't have too much of a priority panic attack, but tried to focus on being okay just accomplishing what I was doing at the moment. Baby steps. :)
So, while I'm here, having this much better day, I should tell you all my New Year's plan this year. I have looked at past journals -- many of them, many different times. And when I try to list really specific resolutions they are generally the SAME ONES almost every year. Kinda makes me wonder if I'm making any progress from year to year. But let's not get down about that, eh? I mean, one of the top ones I've made (and broken) through the years is "GO TO BED EARLIER." or "GO TO BED BY MIDNIGHT." or, one of my old college journals actually said "BE IN BED NO LATER THAN 1A.M. EVERY NIGHT." Ha! Let's set some reachable expectations, right?! Well, I'm just facing my true night-owl self, and trying to do a little better when I can. But I'm tired of making it an actual "resolution." I just don't think I have it in me to resolve things like that.
Instead of doing resolutions, I've been thinking of one specific something that I want to focus on this year. It's made me feel excited all day, just keeping it in mind through most of the afternoon and evening. Ready to hear what it is?? I know, the suspense is building.
Okay. I want to try my hardest to practice love in everything I do. I mean, REALLY practice focusing on love as my motive for the things I do and say:
-- Why do I want to read the scriptures each day? and pray? Because I really do LOVE the Lord. I want Him to know I love him.
-- Why do I keep my kitchen clean and fix delicious meals for my family? Because I LOVE them so much! I want to REMEMBER that I'm doing these mundane things out of LOVE -- it really changes the way I feel about even little household chores when I'm focused on this.
-- Why am I trying to eat healthy and exercise regularly?? Because I love myself. I love my body and am grateful for the gift it is to me.
-- Why do I want to BLOG?!? Because I LOVE writing! I LOVE recording the happenings of my life and my family -- learning from our past and cherishing our memories that I LOVE so much.
See where this is going? I'm liking it already!
I've lost sooo many resolutions in the past. So, this year, my word is LOVE. And I'm going to try hard to focus and remember and FILL myself with LOVE. If you're reading this, I probably love you. See, isn't this fun?!?
Good night, Blog. Good night, virtual paper.
1 comment:
thats a good idea making a theme to your resolutions. i like it!
Post a Comment