Sunday, September 20, 2015

On our way

On our honeymoon, Brian and I spent two+ weeks traveling around Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. It was such an awesome adventure! I look back now and realize I was fearless, and maybe a little bit reckless... Compared to now, at least.

Being a mother has changed me, obviously. But I hadn't really noticed this change... The one where I'm a true stress case at the thought of finally going to South America with Brian, as he's always vowed we would. Finally, we have a reason, we have the time, we have enough frequent flyer miles--- what are we waiting for, right?! :)

We are going to Peru!! We're on our way as I write, actually!! It's exciting, and I'm finally warming up to three idea, now that we're in the air, half way there. But I'll tell you, these past few weeks have been extremely stressful for me. I've become such a worrier!!:( All the "what ifs" have been in in the back of my mind constantly. Er, actually, it's more like those "what ifs" have been relentlessly shouting in my brain. Not fun.

Part of it, I know is the excitement/anxiety I feel for one of my dearest best friends-- she's the reason we're headed to Peru! She's found an amazing, good, righteous man in Peru, she's totally in love with him! And she's getting married to him and moving to Peru!! It's so romantic and brave and crazy, all at once. In my mind, I keep thinking of all her "what ifs" as well as my own. And it's freaking me out. Yeah. Maybe I need therapy?

Then again, maybe this trip will be a little bit of therapy for me? So far, so good. Take deep breaths, be calm, enjoy... :) We started our journey last night, with a long layover in San Francisco. It was lovely. We rode the train into the city, then walked around, exploring for awhile. We sought out an amazing Afghan restaurant (as in, food from Afghanistan). There's a sister restaurant in Boston that we both loved years ago. I ordered the baked pumpkin and fried eggplant, with a sweet spiced rice. Sounds different, I know. But it was amazing! Brian has a couple pics on his phone, maybe I can load them later.

My phone died early on, so this is the only picture I took, of us on the train.:)

After dinner, we walked down to Ghirardelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf for awhile. Then we stood in line to ride the trolley car 🚎 back up to the subway line. It was chilly, but so cool, riding up and down all those hills. It was a fun night, just the two of us!

I admit, I was ready for a nice hotel bed by then. But instead, we took a red-eye flight to San Salvador, which is where we'll be landing in just a few minutes. We have a seven-hour layover here, so we can go into the city and explore a little bit.

Then on to Lima, where we'll stay the night with the Larson family, from our home town. They are serving as mission presidents in Lima. Then, Sunday morning, we'll get to see R and meet her fiance!! Soooo exciting! Please pray for them, that all goes well wIth their plans... They keep running into paperwork "hiccups," she calls them. But they're really hoping to be able to get married this coming week, and WE are, too-- so we can be there for it!!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Delighted that you get to go!! Love, Mom