Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Tintern and the Cotswolds

Tuesday morning, we went to of my favorite places to visit -- an old, stone abby in ruins called Tintern Abby. It was built in the 1100s by a group of monks, and was abandoned during the 1400s and has never been restored.

The first time I visited (last summer), I wrote the following:

"Standing in the central cathedral, it was very moving to look out through what would have been the arched, stained windows to see the sun coming through the surrounding pines and aspens. Looking up to what would have been the vaulted ceiling, there was only the blue sky and clouds overhead. And green, green grass carpeted the floor of the entire premises. Enchanting. Bright pink wildflowers and ferns were growing in many of the crevasses in the stone walls and pillars, high above our heads. I really enjoyed being there, and felt a peculiar reverence for the builders and worshippers who hallowed this sacred place so long ago. Were they at peace with themselves, and with God? I hope so. The abby fell to ruins in the 1400s when King Henry VIII founded the Church of England and outlawed Catholicism in England. How crushing it must have been to those who sought this way of life."

Sammie enjoyed romping on the grass in the courtyard. Little did I know the grass was soppy wet, and muddy, and her cute little pink jumper outfit was filthy in a matter of minutes! She certainly didn't care, and went on her way, picking up little flowers, pebbles and feathers as she crawled around.


We also visited another favorite of mine -- the Cotswolds! These charming English villages are the stuff story books are made of. The thatched roof houses and cobbled streets are absolutely picture perfect, just as you'd think the lovely English countryside would be. We visited a town called Bibury this time, said to be the "loveliest village in England." It was really cute and quaint, with winding paths and stone fences. We walked along a trout farm -- a small brook with very large trout swimming in all directions.

Leslie volunteered to drive for awhile, for which I was grateful. She was nervous at first, since it had been awhile since she last drove a standard, not to mention she had never driven on the left side of the road! When she first got in, she peeled out in the parking lot and we all laughed. Then she had some close encounters with the curb for a few moments. "You're driving a bit too close to the edge of the road," I told her as I clutched the edge of my seat.

"No I'm not!" she responded. "You were driving WAY too close to the middle, Kam! You were scaring me half to death."

"Well, you are hitting bushes on the side!" I told her. It's true: she was. We had a good laugh as she straightened out and got the car centered better. I have to applaud her for giving it a try -- one of our few guests who have actually dared! It only took her a few minutes before she was a natural.

I'm including a few more shots of the Cotswolds from some previous trips, just because I love the charm and the peace there. I'll also include some descriptions I wrote the first time I visited, as my wording was much more poetic than it is right now.



From my first visit (June 2005):

"We drove down narrow, winding roads lined with neatly trimmed hedges and centuries-old stone fences. Sheep ready for sheering dotted the pastures around us, and the distant fields were filled with the bright yellow blossoms of rapeseed – used for making canola oil. We stopped the car to take a photo beside a beautifully manicured pasture lined with a stone fence. A large, stately stone house was set off the road in the trees behind the pasture, and little lambs next to the fence were sneaking their way close to us to investigate. So picturesque and peaceful, so different and quaint, and yet so much like home. Just standing there for the picture, I felt the gentle and welcome pangs of homesickness."


3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, Kamber! how much fun! it's beautiful and so enticing!Thanks for sharing your travels!

Anonymous said...

Wow Kam--What a fantastic re-cap of your fun, fun time!! I truly ENVY you getting to go to Tinturn Abbey and the Cotswolds again like that. I absolutely LOVED being there in those places just last September with you. You re-captured the beauty of the places with your expressive writings, plus your pictures are priceless. Thanks, Babe, for sharing. Love, Mom

Alicia said...

Wow. I knew you could write, but those poetic descriptions are wonderful. I could imagine every little flower and fern. Thank you for sharing. I would LOVE to go there! It looks and sounds fascinating and beautiful. My favorite picture is of the lavender growing on the little English house.