Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Bodiam Castle and Hastings

One fun day trip with Reed and Alysa was to visit a castle we've been wanting to see for quite some time -- Bodiam Castle. It's one of those romantic looking castles, with a mote around the outside and ducks and fish in the mote.
It was built in the 1300s as a fortress/manor house. Very impressive, even though it's all in ruins now. We explored some of the chambers and climbed to the ramparts for some good pictures. Here we are standing in front... Reed and Alysa in front...
Alysa showing Sammie the ducks, while Sam admires her mittens. (She was warmly dressed in a lot of non-matching stuff... how do kids always lose the stuff that matches??)
Reed taking Samantha on a tour of one of the inner chambers.

After touring the castle, we got super HOT hot chocolate to go, and drove a few miles to the village of Battle, where the Battle of Hastings was fought by William the Conqueror in 1066. There's a huge Abby and battlefield, which we were hoping to tour. Unfortunately, we missed the last admission by like 10 seconds. Rats! But we took some nice photos and had fun peeking in some of the little shops in the town.


That's all there is to tell for now, I guess. We leave for a spontaneous trip to Portugal early tomorrow morning... We figured this may be our last chance to travel Europe before this baby arrives (only ten weeks to go!). So, hopefully next week we'll have more fun stuff to share.

3 comments:

Dalana and Mark said...

Happy New Year Brian, Kamber and Samantha! I loved all of the pictures and write-ups. I'm so glad that you had fun w/ Janice and Jay and Reed and Alysa. We are so envious, we'd love to be one of your visitors. Looks like Christmas was great for you guys. Have fun in Portugal and be safe. I can't believe that you have less than 10 weeks left, yay!

Wade Hone said...

Wonderful pictures and stories! thank you for posting, I have read most all of them, and greatly enjoyed looking at the pictures! thanks so much for posting Kamber!

Anonymous said...

I'm delighted that you had all this fun exploring these neat places, and I'm SO GLAD that Reed and Alysa were there with you through Christmas time. Little Sammie looks DARLING standing there between you and Alysa, Kam. Doesn't she look like a litte Teen-ager??
And what's that last item in your list a picture of? I've only seen your house in photos, but that looks like your house to me. Is it?? Love, Mom