Sorry for the long blogging pauses. More internet difficulties not worth sharing. Sooooo.... FINALLY we made it down to the coast between Brighton and Dover to visit a very small, little-known town called..... Camber! Complete with its own castle -- Camber Castle!

Any of you who have been lurking for as long as we've been blogging may remember one our very first posts was about Camber; I had big plans of going there to celebrate our 2nd anniversary, back in 2006. Well, it didn't happen then, and we've tried two other times to make it down there without success. I was insistent enough that we MUST visit Camber before we leave here. So, we took a day trip down there last weekend. Turns out the main attraction is the beach -- Camber Sands...

It wasn't really warm, but Sam loved the water and dived in before we could get her clothes off her. Cutie. (Hard to get a good picture of her these days. She is just WAY too busy to pose and smile!)

This is how she made it back to the car after her beach time... kicking and screaming the whole way. But we're glad she came home with us, rather than staying there!

Since I already mentioned the main attraction was the beach, I hope you were able to deduce that the castle was NOT the main attraction. In fact, Camber Castle was very difficult to find, because it is situated right in the middle of a big cow field! No joke. (This picture was a zoomed in pict)

We were driving around looking for the castle, no signs, no ramparts peeking through the trees, nothing. But it was on my map, and I was determined that we would find it! We pulled up by a caravan/trailer park and there was a brickish looking water tank. Brian said, "maybe that's the Castle?" Samantha was quick to tell him, "No Daddy. That NOT a castle." :) She repeated it the whole time we sat in the car park there, trying to figure out where we went wrong. She was right, that was NOT Camber Castle. We finally asked directions and were informed it was about a mile walk from the road.

We parked and set out walking -- Brian carrying Spencer and me working with Samantha. After a few minutes, we realized a mile-long walk through cow fields (with ditches, barbed wire, and lots of stinging nettle) was probably not a really good idea with our two kidders in tow.


So, we took our pictures and said our goodbyes to the dream of Camber Castle. (Another zoomed-in shot...)

We got some great pictures of this little sheepie guy. He seemed to want to pose for us (Sam could learn a thing or two, eh?)

The closest REAL town to Camber is called Rye, and it's DARLING. We spent an hour or so walking around Rye, looking in the cute shops and admiring the charming little cobbled streets. A few pictures of Rye for you...

If you can't read the signs above these doors, zoom in and have a read. We thought this was pretty clever, written on a B&B we saw...

I'm standing in the one-and-only parking spot on this whole street!

Sammie, posing, finally. She's wearing the new shirt we got for her at Camber Sands beach, when she soaked hers. It's now her FAVORITE shirt, even though it's a size too big. She wants to wear it all the time, has it on as I write, etc....

One of Spence, even though I included this shot in an earlier post. It's the only good shot of him we got that day, so I have to add it in case he wonders where HE was when we did all these fun trips!

Anyway, it was a nice little day-trip for us. A big bonus was that Spencer and Sammie both slept on the way home. We really appreciated that, Spencer. Thank you! We'll post more soon, I hope.
4 comments:
You have had so many wonderful little adventures there these past few years! It's always great to get a little taste of them.
Hey Kam--that trip looked like a really FUN one!! Thanks for posting those neat pictures!! Sammie looks really PROUD of her new shirt! I zoomed in on that picture of you and Sam standing in the field with the sheep and the castle behind you, and WOW--how pretty you look!! Love, Mom
What a blast!! I'm so glad you finally got there!~! Camber England... who would have thought, and Camber Castle too. WOW!! I love all the adventures your sweet family takes. What a fun thing. I miss England, I love it there. Happy Moving, your house looks beautiful!
Yay! You made it to Camber!! Rye looks really like a very quaint, cute town. I love those little shops, just like we saw in Hastings. I love the sheep pictures !!
Post a Comment