Wednesday, September 08, 2010

First Day

I'm joining all the other moms and dads tonight, posting a picture of Samantha's first day of preschool...


There's our girl, headed out the door with a smile on her face. We decided to do Spanish preschool again this year -- same as last year, same teacher, same classroom, everything. We had several discussions over the summer about what we should do for her education... even contemplated "early" kindergarten. So crazy, to be a parent and be worrying about these things that sometimes sound so trivial when "other" parents talk about them. I mean, how many times when I was single did I listen to "other" mothers talk about their kids' school options and behind their back I rolled my eyes thinking, it's ONLY preschool, or it's ONLY kindergarten.

But when it's you're kid, it's different, huh? And to me, it's surprisingly satisfying to feel so invested in these little bodies and their minds and their futures. I love feeling that I really do want what's best for them. Does that even make sense? Well, so back to Spanish preschool... during the summer, every time we tried to get her to practice anything in Spanish, she gave a blank look and needed lots of help for everything except counting. I started thinking, maybe this is a waste? Will she even get it, or will we be starting all over again by doing a second round?

Well, when she got home after Round 2, Day #1, all afternoon Sammie went around the house singing her Spanish songs, asking what different words mean in Spanish, making up her own "pretend" Spanish conversations. She's back, and all in just one morning of Spanish preschool. Yay! I'm really glad she enjoys it so much.

When I dropped her off in the morning, I helped her hang up her jacket and backpack, and before I could even hug her, she was off across the classroom, finding her name on the rug/mat where she was supposed to sit with the other kids. I had to settle for a wave, instead of a hug.

Though I've secretly done a bit of chuckling over other mothers' posts about sobbing at the bus stop, I now confess, I was wiping away a few tears as I pulled out of the parking lot.

And it's ONLY preschool.


(I blame the pregnancy for the tears, of course. ha!)

4 comments:

Lhone said...

blame the pregnancy...right... glad you got it all figured out.

Karen said...

What a CUTIE@@ I'm delighted that you kept her in Pre-School instead of moving her right into the big Kindergarten class. She's only FOUR still, ya know! :)

She sure looks HAPPY! What a cute bookbag she has--(without my contacts in this morning, I at first thought it was a long purple SKIRT she was dressed in, so I was sorta 'relieved' when I saw it was just her bookbag.) :)
Love. Mom p/s.--Write about your fantastic accomplishments of the DAY!

Barb said...

Hi Kam!

I love reading your blog! Sammie is such a cute little pre-schooler!

I think it's wonderful that you are thinking about her future, NOW, not when she is 18, and it's too late. You're a great mom, keep up the good work!

Hasta luego!
Barb

Anonymous said...

She is so cute! Am I going to have to press #1 to talk to you when I call your house???? Oh wait, I can't call you, I need your phone number(s)
LOVE YA