1. Go to bed at a reasonable hour. Every night.
I'm not going to list a time, because it really does depend on what's going on around me. I mean, if I have "unsettled" kids I don't want to complicate the issue by feeling guilty that I'm not in bed right at 10:30, right? But at the same time, I think we all know that my current standard 1 a.m. bedtime is NOT a "reasonable hour." So, it has to go. I am going to bed early, forfeiting that "unwind" time that turns into undisciplined hours of Netflix, facebook, or laundry. (and yes, I do believe laundry can be counted in that list, when I'm choosing to stay up all hours to do it.) Sleep is more important than these things, and it needs to be more important to me.
2. Don't eat after the kids go to bed.
I might have to give myself a little bit of slack on this, seeing that I'm doing dinners by myself with the kids right now. I mean, if I need to get the kids off to bed before I can have a decent dinner for myself, well, that's one thing. But if I'm snacking on junk at 9, 10, 11 p.m.... I'm just packin' in the calories that I don't really need. And being a "nursing mom" is not a good excuse anymore, I've decided. So, after the kids' bedtime, no more junk for me.
3. No more complaining. Think, speak, and do happy things, selfless things, better things.
This one is more about altering my attitude. I admit, I'm not much of a winter person. I kind of freeze up during the cold months and my mood goes downhill. Our unsettled circumstances have exacerbated that problem immensely of late. But I'm going to try really hard to focus on the positive, look for the learning opportunities in my situation, and give the good details instead of the bad, as often as I can. This does not mean you'll never hear from me if I'm having a rough time. But it does mean I'm going to try harder to be happy and show my gratitude for what I have and who I am. Wish me luck!
I also have a list of things I'd like to do better at, but I will save it for later. I'm trying to simplify here, and that means just focusing on a few little goals at a time. I'll be back later (or hopefully sooner) with more details from our family/stuff.
4 comments:
What a nice Post, Kam! I think your goals are GREAT, and very attainable! I think you likely take after your Dad when it comes to 'winter blahs'...He is usually quite an "up-beat" guy, but during the winter--every year--many times a day he mutters--"I HATE winter!" (I don't feel as he does about winter--it's one of my favorite seasons, so I just try to pat him lovingly and go on to a different subject...)
Plus, Kam--you have lots of reasons to feel "down" this winter, with Brian gone and all, but I think you're doing marvelously well!! You'll enjoy concentrating on these goals and that'll give you a little "lift", I'm thinking. Good Luck Babe! Love, Mom
(p.s.--have you been reading of Janell's fun adventures? They'll really "perk you up!")
You're an awesome person all around. I think your goals are great. But you do realize I am sure, that you are loved by all despite these things. Good luck!
Love the goals. you should really try a "light therapy" box for the winter blues. It works wonders!
Good list. I think that #1 is a definitely a good place to start. Sleep really does do wonders.
Post a Comment