Thursday, May 26, 2011

Special Days

A few weeks after we moved here, I was telling Samantha and Spencer a "story from when I was little" as their bedtime story. I told them about a trip I took with some of my cousins, and how, in their family, they had Special Days. These cousins of mine had seven kids in their family. So, each day of the week it was someone's Special Day. That meant, the "Special" kid could pray or choose someone to pray at meals, sit in the front seat of the car, and pick a little "special" something he or she wanted to do (like, play with a friend, play his/her game of choice, eat some kind of treat, etc.)

Well. The idea was FASCINATING to my kiddos! And so... we now have "Special Days." Samantha's is Tuesday, and Spencer's is Thursday. At first, I kind of wondered, what did I get myself into?! But actually, it's been kind of fun. We don't really do that much stuff we wouldn't normally be doing already. But the kids look forward to it, and they feel like they're helping to make the plan for the day.

Here's some of the things we've done for Special Days...

-- Found a new park, with some VERY cool toys

Natalie's first swing ride... she was a BIG fan!


-- Walked to the bridge to see the turtle in our pond


He's kinda hard to see, but I promise, there's a HUGE turtle in that pond, about as big around as a large trash can lid. And he has a really long neck, too. I think you can mainly see his neck in this picture...

-- Rode our bikes at the beach
(my personal favorite, and probably theirs, too)

There's a great boardwalk, all along the beach near our house. Perfect for biking!

Oh, and, Samantha's friend from church gave her this little two-wheeler, no training wheels. She got on and had no trouble whatsoever riding it, from the very first try! Wow.

-- Took a "just for fun" bath in the middle of the day
(one of their last all-together baths... Samantha's starting to take them on her own now... growing up so fast. sniff sniff.)

-- Read extra stories together before bedtime

And, some other "Special Days" we didn't catch on film...
-- Walked to Dunkin Donuts for pink donuts with sprinkles
-- Played at McDonalds playland
-- Went to Central Park to play in the sandbox
-- Watched a movie in bed with mom, even staying up after bedtime
-- Went to the library

It's fun. And, actually, it kind of helps with some of the little sibling fights... "Spencer gets the red one, because it's his Special Day." "Samantha gets the last jelly bean, because it's her Special Day." "Spencer can go first, because it's his Special Day." "Samantha can choose which she wants, it's her Special Day."

I even claim my own Special Day, occasionally... I tell them we're going to go shopping and they have to be extra good even when we're just looking at boring mommy clothes and such, because it's my Special Day. They're very good about it, a nice surprise!

The only drawback is when we can't actually do what they'd like, for their Special Day. Like, umm... Spencer seems to think it's a "Make a Wish" list. Several times a day, I hear, "Mom. You know what, on my special day??Umm... go to McDonalds." Then five minutes later, again, "You know what on my Special Day? Umm... go to Wal-mart." And again, "Umm... watch Thomas the Train." And my favorite so far, "Ummm... go on an airplane." ha! We'll save that last one for a few months, eh?!

Anyway, Saturday is Brian's first Special Day: he starts a week of vacation! Yay!! Wish us luck, making it very extra Special!!

8 comments:

Karen said...

Well, Well--what a clever idea! I wonder why WE didn't do that in OUR family as YOU kids were growing up?? (It probably took too much work for ME to follow through with it!!) But what a good idea for YOU to be doing, my dear. Those look like really fun, (not too out-landish) ideas the kids come up with, and I'm glad you're doing that!
Wow--isn't it beautifully GREEN around there?!! It's green around HERE, too, but there just aren't as many trees around here to LOOK green! It'll be fun to see your parks, beach, turtles and TREES in a few days! Thanks for writing. See you soon! Love, Mom

Beth said...

How fun for everyone! We did a version of that, but it was only on our birthday (kind of obvious). I can't wait to introduce this concept to my husband. It could be fun in a n empty nest too, don't you think? I see back and foot rubs in my future {giggle}.

Dalana and Mark said...

I am loving all of your frequent postings, Kamber! All of the pictures in this post are just so cute! I really love the one of Natalie on the swing, it's adorable! You really are such a good mom, taking time to do all of these fun things with your kids. Love and miss you!

Mel said...

What a fun concept. And all the fun things you guys do is juat awesome. You make me tired just reading about it!

Alysa . . . . and Reed said...

Special Days sound like a lot of fun! Love your picturesque boardwalk along the beach. *sigh* I would love to go for a walk there! Love all the pictures!!

Travis and Jana said...

What a cool idea. I might have to implement that one over here!
I was reading through your last few posts . . . the neighbor kids thing, I get super nervous when the little girl from down the street comes over. I don't let them play in the house or our backyard because I don't even know her parents or if it would be okay with it. So when she comes over they play in the front yard which totally stresses me out because some cars believe our street is a speedway!
Anyway, I totally am on your side on this one. Neighbor kids stress me out!
Also, I'm so impressed with the designer clothes!!! Didn't know you were so trendy!:)

Alicia said...

Brian is on a vacation!!! What? I wanted to call, but now I don't want to interrupt your precious time. I'm so happy for him and all of you. I hope your having a fun time.

I love the "special days" idea. What a fun thing for the kids. It would make things you are already going to do anyway just seem more fun. From the special days - I love Natalie in that swing. She really is ADORABLE! And I so wish I could walk with you guys on that boardwalk along the beach. How cool that is so close. And Samantha just jumped on a two wheel bike and rode???? That is amazing!

We are off to CA tomorrow. Love you!

Alia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.