Tuesday, September 04, 2012

A Nearly Perfect Day

Do you ever have those moments in life that seem almost absolutely perfect? I hope you do. I hope everyone does. I love those moments, and I especially love them if they are long enough to stretch on for hours and even sometimes become a whole entire day of perfection.

I had one of those a few weeks ago... The day after we came back from our vacation to Idaho. We were still on Mountain Standard Time, so we slept in to some unreasonable hour, like 10 a.m. All of us, except for Brian. He got up early, went for a bike ride and made a Costco trip for essential groceries. By the time we were stirring, he had a great pancakes-and-bacon breakfast for us. Can a Saturday start any better??

Then we set off for an outing to Brooklyn, because we had never really spent much time in Brooklyn. It was just a wonderful day. We did normal stuff, like eat a picnic in the car, play at a park, ride a carousel, share a piece of cake from a fancy and expensive dessert shop, wander through a random book store, and walk on the Brooklyn Bridge. The sun was shining, the humidity was low, the temp was mid 70s. And our kids were happy and didn't fight in the car. The icing on the cake, we lucked into free parking all day long!

To end our day, we went to an amazing Middle Eastern restaurant that Brian has been wanting to try since we first moved here. We bribed the kids to be extra good while we ate, telling them we would buy a soda for them at the shop across from the restaurant after, if they were soooo good. And they were! The food was even better! -- smooth hummus and pita, spiced lentils with fried crispy onions on top, delectable kebabs, Mediterranean-style chicken and tomatoes, fettoush -- which is like Greek salad with tons of cilantro and lemon, baklava for desert. wow! Perfect food for our perfect day.

I tell you, I could relive that day again and again. That's why I'm writing it here. :)


Pictures, because it was worth remembering it all, of course...













4 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Kam~

You so deserve a perfect day!! I love those moments where you just can't stand the thought of them ending . . . and they don't . . . I've had a few of those in my lifetime!

Love your pictures - what cute kidos!!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Karen, Kam's mom said...

Hi Kam--That was a fun post. I'm glad you wrote about that wonderful day so you CAN re-live it over and over in the years ahead as you run across this write-up! Cute kids!
Be sure to point out the Brooklyn Bridge to me when we come next week, k? Love, Mom

Lhone said...

Wow! How much fun is that... and to not have the usual hoopla is a HUGE bonus. Definately worth journaling ;)

Travis and Jana said...

Wow Kamber! Your writing is so descriptive and just sucks me in!
I wish I could write like you! You have convinced me to go spend a day in Brooklyn!
I feel like I haven't had one of those "perfect" days in a while. I bet if I sat back and took life in a little more that I would find life was better than I realized. I guess I'm still just a little homesick and am not the most positive person lately. Thanks for the reminder about how great life is and that I really should look for and strive for those perfect days!
Here's to hoping you have another really soon!