I thanked him for being such a thoughtful husband as I found a place for them on the floor of our tiny hall pantry. He smiled and said, "you're welcome," then added, "we're going to be gone from here before those trash bags are gone."
What?? I needed an explanation, so he kindly obliged by repeating, "we're going to be gone from this place, gone from New York, gone on to some different job and different life by the time those trash bags are all gone."
Oh. That. Well, it's good to have goals to work toward, right? In whatever weird way they are measured, I guess??
I have been the one pulling out those trash bags, one at a time, three or four bags a week over the past year and a half. And guess what? ... They're almost gone. In fact, the second to last week of July, I opened the box and raised my eyebrows in shock as I saw just how few of those bags were left. It was that same day that Brian and I had a little talk and decided it was time to go. No, not just because our supply of Costco trash bags was dwindling. But still, I took a picture of the few remaining bags later that day, to document the decision to move on...
And then I cried.
It's true.
We're moving away from our fun New York adventure.
And it's one of those very happy/sad "mixed feelings" occasions for me.
We're moving back to Idaho, back to our big, lovely home with a garage and fenced back yard and carpet and an ice machine in the freezer. We're headed back to family and friends and familiar things. And we're very excited at what all this means, for our kids, for our parents, for our stability, for Brian's sleep schedule, for our time together as a family. It is definitely a right decision for us for now. Brian will keep working with his company, but his hours will be much better, and we'll see a lot more of each other. It will all be much more predictable and much more manageable, which is what we really need, as a family. It will be a good thing, I know.
But oh, how I will miss here. I have been very happy here, even though it's been rough with Brian's horrendous schedule. I've tried hard to "bloom where I'm planted," and I've found lots to love about my life here. I will miss it, I know. I will miss the ocean and the lakes and the Mighty Hudson. I will miss being close to the city, but not IN the city. I will sooo miss the green, green trees and lush scenery, and the gorgeous huge houses on my running route. I think I will even miss the humidity (eventually, when my lips are chapped and my hands are chapped and bleeding this winter). And mostly I will miss so many wonderful friends. I have become a better person for the people I have met here who have changed my life and enriched me. That sounds kind of cliche and impersonal, I know. But I get too sad when I really start thinking about the dear friends I am leaving here -- and my kids' friends as well. So, I'm trying not to think too much about that part of moving.
Anyway. This is my announcement post here.
The trash bags are almost gone -- there's one lining the trash can, and one more under the sink right now. And we're soon to follow -- three weeks from today. Wish us luck in yet another chapter!
8 comments:
And now I'm crying. But I'm sure there will be many more tears in the next three weeks so for now, just like Walden, we're not talking about this!
I talk on the phone to you almost daily, my dear girl, and I know you are LOVING your life there, and I've been SO PLEASED at what wonderful friends you have acquired and at how much you love your church involvement there, and all.
I'm SO impressed with your beautiful neighborhood and your lovely city of Harrison, and I feel mixed feelings along with YOU, about your leaving there. But of course, I am DELIGHTED to think that you'll finally be back CLOSER to us and more able to join us in more gatherings and have more frequent visits, and I'm especially pleased that Brian will finally get to have a LIFE! As a matter of fact--I'm THRILLED that you're moving back!! But just know that I FEEL for you and truly identify with you in your little 'reluctant-to-leave"' feelings. I'm glad you 'bit the bullet' and ANNOUNCED your move in this post!! That means that you're really, truly COMING, and I really, really look forward to you getting back to IDAHO!!
Love, your Mom
Yay for us in Idaho! I am so happy the garbage bags finally ran out, ha ha ha.
What a neat journey you have shared with us on your blog. Change is hard sometimes. But we will be happy to see it continue in Idaho! Keep us posted how we can help you get settled back in :)
I couldn't be more pleased that you guys are coming back! I knew you wold make you way back here! Yeah for Brynn and Nattie play dates, and yeah for great friends! Have a safe journey home and can't wait for you guys to be back!
That is so cute Kam that you've been watching those trash bags and now that they are running out it really is time to go. You'll never look at Kirkland brand trash bags again. I am sad for you also. It will be hard to leave the life you've made for yourself - friends, fall leaves, Samantha's school, living in NY, etc. But I am so, so happy for you to be closer to me and your family and to be back in your beautiful house. This is a good plan. Good luck getting ready to go and have a GREAT road trip home. Love you.
Wow, I can't believe you are moving AGAIN! What a wild life you people lead. I'm happy for you, though I know it will be sad. Also in the news: we are likely moving to AZ in a few months. WHAAAAT? We'll have to have a LP2 reunion!!! I mean it!!
No fair! I want to move back too!
And sad that we won't be there when you get there. But we will be back to visit (hopefully soon). And when we do we will be sure to attend the Caldwell 6th Ward.
Good luck in the "move" I'm not sad to be missing that part!
How are your kids feeling? Where do you plan to send Sammie to school? Good luck with everything and hopefully we'll see you soon!
I've been wondering what is going on with you guys. So back to Idaho you go! We sure need to catch up. I am happy for you though. It is great that Brian will continue to work for his firm. Will he telecommute? Will he have to travel back to NY at all? I hope it all works out perfectly. Being together is always much better. Hooray for you!
Post a Comment