I wish I would have had my camera... but I forgot it! Last Thursday we had such a lovely day out, I have to tell the little details, and hopefully you can imagine how nice it was, even without pictures. My friend, Jenny, is from Ipswich, on the coast about two hours east of London. Since she was not working, she offered to take Samantha and me for a visit to her home town and surrounding area. It was so much fun!
First, we drove to the small town of Felixstowe to go swimming. The indoor pool is right on the beach, with big windows facing out to the sea. It was so fun to be swimming in a nice warm pool while we looked out at the ocean. Samantha especially loved the kiddie pool! We taught her to go down the slide, and to hold her breath going under the water. She didn't want to leave, even when it was past her naptime and we'd been there so long. And yes, we did use the cute little red suit -- she looked adorable.
Next, we got fish and chips at a little shop and ate them on the beach. Samantha ate more sand than fish, but she didn't seem to mind. Maybe there's some kind of protein in sand?? Sam finally fell asleep after that, as we drove back to Jenny's parents' house for a quick tour and visit. They live in a cute red brick house across the street from a charming old church, built in the 13th century. Very picturesque.
We took Jenny's two younger sisters (8 and 7 yrs), and went to a different little coastal villiage near a small castle. We walked around the castle grounds, then past the charming cottages and stone houses, down to the sea for a bit of a rest. It was so refreshing to be out of the city, in the peace and quiet of a little country village.
As we were driving back to drop Jenny's sisters at their house, one of them, Anna, asked, "Jenny, is this your car?"
Jenny: No, it's Kamber's.
Anna: Then why are you driving it.
Jenny: Because Kamber doesn't have a driving license.
(thoughtful pause, and a small groan from Kamber)
Anna: Then why does Kamber have a car?
Ah yes, the proverbial question... which came first, the car or the license? I thought it was a funny little conversation, even though I cringed as Jenny had to explain that I DO have a US license, but I haven't passed the UK test yet. Arrggg.... I'm taking it (again) this week. Wish me luck!
Anyway, that's a quick description of our fun day out in the country last week. If I'd had the camera, you would see the following pictures:
Mom with Sammie in the pool in her cute new suit (Mom holding Sam strategically to hide Mom's swimming-suit body)
Sammie eating sand on the beach
Jenny's sisters sitting in the back seat with Sammie, sharing jaffa cakes and getting chocolate all over all three faces.
Jenny and Kamber on the beach, a little lopsided from being taken by one of Jenny's sisters.
1 comment:
Wow Kam---I just now wrote a whole comment and it ERASED on me!! :(
What I said was---this was a cute write-up and I enjoyed reading about your FUN day! Sorry about your "no Pictures", and Sorry 'bout your "no License", but Good Luck on your driver's test tomorrow. (It's Wednesday evening here in Boise.)
I think you oughta write on your Blog about the ridiculous English rulings and the exorbitant licensing costs and the nitty-gritty stuff that's expected of a potential driver there. Unbelieveable!!
Sincere good wishes for you for your Thursday morning test, babe.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment