Monday, September 24, 2007

Story behind the escape

So, the quick story behind Samantha's escape from the crib... As I've mentioned before, Sam has a dreaded fear of the vacuum cleaner. She used to stand on the edge of the rug and shout through tears for me to please, please stop. To help her cope, I started putting her in her crib with her pacifier every time I vacuum. This arrangement works well, I think.

So, this past Friday, I pulled out the vacuum and popped Sam in the crib while I proceeded to do a "deep" clean job for nearly half an hour. I was still getting behind couches and end tables in the living room, when I heard this little voice behind me: "ahh done??"

What?!? How in the?!? Where did you?!! I was VERY surprised to see a happy, proud-looking little Sam behind me. I turned off the vacuum, grabbed the camera, and took her back to her bed. I put her in the bed and said, "show me how you got out of your bed just now." She was a little reluctant, but I offered the pacifier as a reward, so... up and over she went! AMAZING! And, oh what lies ahead?! So far, she hasn't tried it again (there was an extra pillow in there at the time, which gave her just a bit more leverage than normal). But I can see the day is coming, sooner than we planned. sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She's SO SMART!! I Love her little "ahh done?" When you and I have talked on the phone, Kam, I've heard her say that several times, and I think it's SO cute!

Dad and I are thinking seriously of getting one of those web-cam things you've talked about, and that way, we can hear and SEE her even BETTER!! Love, Mom