Anyway, I just used the cheapy stuff from the store (gasp from the hair-dressers). It says you're supposed to do a strand test for 48 hours, etc. I didn't. I never do. It turned out just fine, can't even tell, really. But I started wondering about other peoples' hair habits. Does anyone really ever do a strand test? Are there personality types, even among my own circle of friends who might just believe in strand testing? So I'm just curious, and have a little pole for my bloggers... (I'll keep it yes or no, but feel free to expand.)
1. Have you ever dyed your hair?
2. Have you used the cheapy store brands?
3. If you have dyed your hair, have you ever actually done a strand test? If so, I demand an explanation.
4. Have you ever had disastrous results, dying your hair?
5. Have you ever NOT done a strand test, and later wished you would have?
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Aside, my hair is falling out by the handful right now. Every shower, every time I brush it. Yuck. Not-so-fun post-pregnancy side affect. I hope it stops soon, or I may really be bald. (sigh)
A picture of Brian and me from our recently attempted temple trip--- this is post hair-dye, just for those of you who really wonder if it really doesn't look that different.
10 comments:
You've always had very pretty hair Kamber and you did a nice job on the current do.
No I've never died my hair. Did do highlights a couple times years back though.
Yes I used cheapy store brands.
No never tried the strand test.
I have highlighted my own hair, but never had disastrous results. It turned out pretty much like I thought it would. In the end, though, I decided I like my own natural highlights.
Hey Kamber, your hair color looks great! I've never done any highlights/dye or anything to my own hair. About 5 years ago I started to go into the salon to have them highlight it, but it drove me nuts when it would grow out and I'd get the line. After about 8 months I got tired of having to keep up the EXPENSIVE salon highlighting appointments and had them put it back to my normal color and have never messed w/ the color again. I do like the look of highlights, though.
1. Yes. My (naturally medium brown) hair has been black, red (auburn/cranberry), red (fire engine), purple, pink, blue, and platinum blonde (not all at the same time and not in that order).
2. Yep - I almost always used the cheapy store brands. I've only had my hair colored professionally a few times (relatively speaking).
3. Of course not! I'm too impulsive - I would suddenly get the urge to dye my hair, and I had to do it RIGHT THEN.
4. Uh... Yes. :-) After I bleached my hair platinum it was too destroyed to hold color, so when I tried to turn it auburn by using the cheapy store dyes it turned first pumpkin orange (I had to tell the temple I couldn't make it to work that evening) and then light purple. The light purple was actually fun, though. I put blue dye in my conditioner and ended up with light purple hair with blue streaks - I loved it.
5. Nope. I've never regretted not doing a strand test.
P.S.: In case you're wondering, I went back to my natural color a year ago and am looking downright respectable these days, with no plans to mess with dyes in the foreseeable future. Too much work.
P.P.S.: Your hair looks very nice!
Find all the local beauty and hair care businesses in Wyndham at www.wyndhampages.com.au
What's with the annonymous contributor? I do dye my hair for the same reason as you. To get rid of the hassle of highlights, and I just like a subtle change now and then. I love the cheapy brands in the store and I just dyed this week, in fact. I have never strand tested. In fact, I don't think I have ever even read the instructions enough to know that I should be strand testing. I dye my hair about every 3 months maybe. Love it.
Kam... you are so funny!! I have dyed my hair, but I always go to the beauty shop. I've never done a bottle job from the grocery store. My sisters have and some of the results have been devastating. like Green hair, and grey hair. YUCK. Anyway, if I were to dye my own hair I definitely wouldn't do a strand test. Seriously... who does that???? Way too much wasted time in my opinion. :) Enjoy your last days in mighty England!! Love ya~!
Kamber,
I know you know I am a disaster with hair stuff! I once tried to highlight my hair, but we didn't have enough highlighter stuff and so me, Jessie, and my mom drove to Idaho Falls with half my hair covered in highlighter. Then we had to hurry so Jessie did the other half in the car on the way home. I rinsed after an hour on one half, half hour on the other, and my hair was clear! Yes, clear! I put some purple stuff on it to help it, and my hair turned Lavender! Then I had to go to Shelley to buy brown hair dye to try to fix it and my hair looked a muted gray(I forgot to mention this was all at 10:30 p.m.)! So yes, I have had many disasters, and no of course I don't strand test! What kind of time do these people think we are running on?!?
The only time i did my hair was when Melissa did my hair back at Christmas time. I must say that even though she is great at what she does, I don't like highlights on me. Blaine doesn't really like me a blond either. So, good to know we like my natural, boring brown. I'll worry about highlights when I am old and gray, which should be in about 5 years?
Kam--this is one of the funniest of your blog comment sites i have read to this point. Just reading along here in the Holiday Inn in Sparta Illinois, by the time I got to Amber's write-up I actually laughed out loud!!
Thanks for writing about your 'hair experience' and yes, your hair DOES look really nice, now that it's back to it's natural color. If you are like me--(your mom), your hair may darken up more and more as you get older--as mine did. I really like my hair color and want to keep it naturally like this for at least another year till I give in and have a color put on it. p.s. I would NEVER try dying my own hair, I think, but I certainly wouldn't mind having a friend use one of the cheapy store kinds of hair color on me!! (as long as it was a non-reddish BROWN!!) Love, Mom
Post a Comment