Friday, March 04, 2011

New Nork, New Nork!!

Spencer (crying): I wanna go to New Nork and see Daddy.
Me: We can't go there today, sweetheart. But in a few weeks.
Spencer (again): I wanna go to New Nork! New Nork!
Me (again): Not today, babe.
Spencer (after a short pause): Then, I want to go to Wal-mart.

We went to Wal-mart.
It was easier than New York.

(Aside: the people in front of us at Wal-mart filled TWO carts with groceries and only spent $14.00. No joke. They got some good stuff, too. No coupons, so I'm assuming it was government aid? Well, it took about 25 mins to ring it all up. I was ready to PAY them $14.00 just to hurry it up a little.)

No, this post is not about Wal-mart, actually. It's about New York. Anybody ready for an update? I sure am! We've been waiting and wondering and trying to figure out the smoothest way to make this move. I think I'm ready to restate our plan...

Brian flew out to start working in New York on February 5th, as we planned (one of those many plans from yester-month). Since then, he's been working around the clock, getting used to the rigorous schedule he'll be keeping once again. And I've been staying put with the kids while he gets settled in there.

The first week, I was sad and lonely. The second week, I was sick with strep and the kids stayed with Brian's parents. The third week, we took a little trip to my parents, and to visit my aunts and cousins in Grantsville, UT. The fourth week we wrapped up our vagabonding and came back home to wait it out some more.

And now... we're headed to New York. Finally. In a week and a half, just in time for St Patty's Day. Whew! It feels good to be heading in a direction, even though we'll probably have some serious adjusting once we arrive. We're looking for a house right now, (me, via internet, and Brian, going to see what I find). And we're organizing and packing. Busy time. Kinda sad time, to be leaving. But exciting time, too... I really like the East Coast. We'll just have to see how everything shakes out in a few weeks, huh?

If the plans change again, I think I'm going to follow my dad's advice and just stop telling anyone what we're going to do until we've already done it. Wish us luck, for now!

9 comments:

Karen said...

Good Luck!! Good Plans!! We'll miss you, but we've got airline tickets just waiting and ready--about to "burn a hole in our pockets"--so we'll be hurrying there to SEE you and see 'New Nork'! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Sis,
I'm SO happy you've made a decision and I will be out to visit you:) I think we'll see Ben's parents at the same time:) It was so good to see you and the kids.....GOOD LUCK with everything. I pray the Heavenly Father will bless you with lots of energy and even more courage to make the plunge into becoming a NEW YORKER!!

Barb said...

Hi Kam!

I think it sounds fun! I was never so lucky enough to get to move to another state . . . I'm a little jealous. . . :-)

You will do great, you and your sweet family have so much to offer! Good luck!!

Hugs,
Barb

Lhone said...

good luck to you guys. I'm sure it'll sound like a better prospect once when you're there. Get some sleep!

Mel said...

Congrats on knowing what your doing. I know how much the uncertainty was weighing on you. What a fun adventure! Good luck with packing and moving and settling in next week. I'm hoping we can come see you guys this time.

Alicia said...

Hooray!!! New York it is. I'm so excited for you. Mostly to have a decision made and moving forward with it. But I also think that NY will be a great place to live. You and your kids will make such good new friends, you'll get to visit museums and theaters and parks, you'll have a beautiful green, green summer, you'll be there for the BEAUTIFUL cherry blossoms in Central Park in the spring, you can eat some of the best food (definitely best pizza) around. I'm sure your right about it being a big adjustment once you get there, but in the end I'm sure it will be yet another wonderful learning, growing experience. I'm thrilled for you and can't wait to come visit. Best of luck this week getting ready to go. I wish I could come help you pack and help get you on your way. You are AMAZING! Love ya and already miss you.

ManicMandee said...

Good luck! You are one tough cookie Kamber!

Dalana and Mark said...

I know writing about how terribly SAD I am won't help you any, so I won't. I will say good luck! You all are going to do well there, I'm sure. I bet you're going to get to see and experience great things. I'll miss you like crazy and I'm glad that you like to talk on the phone because I look forward to our continued phone conversations. Oh, and we love you!

Janell said...

Well, here it is....another adventure for the Bishop family. I'm sure after the adjustment period (however long THAT will be) it will feel like home. Don't let it feel too much like home though because we want you back eventually.
ps I hate it that you came to Grantsville and I totally wasn't here for it. I didn't get to hear Sammy's pretty voice:( I hope your not gone too long!