Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

Hello, hello.
I have things to blog about, for sure. But my mind is tired tonight, and my creativity is lacking. So, I'll save my "real" blogging for another night, kay? Instead, you get the rare treat of reading my latest tasty recipe. I've never done a recipe post before, have I? Well, don't worry -- I'm not about to go all "foody" on my blog. (Other bloggers do a MUCH better job of that than I could ever be committed to!)

But, I did make this delicious soup on Sunday, for our after-church lunch. And it hit the spot on a beautiful autumn day. It was so good, that my mother-in-law asked for the recipe (not to brag, of course). But while I'm patting my own back here, I will also say that I got it off allrecipes and tweaked it substantially (as I often do, because sometimes, let's face it, I know how to make it better than the 5-star 2500+ reviewers on allrecipes). So, now that it's not really the allrecipes version, I'm calling it my own. 

I'm sure you all will want to pull out your slow cookers and give it a try, right? Or at least make a mental note that it's out here for ya, for someday...

Kam's Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 1/2 - 2 pounds chicken breasts (lots of chicken made it really good!!)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, coarsely mashed
1 (10 ounce) can green enchilada sauce (Target brand is great!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
1/2 t garlic granules (or powder)
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
2-3 tablespoon chopped cilantro
juice of 1/2 lime

  • Tortilla chips, grated cheese, sour cream and lime slices for garnishes.

Directions

  1. Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, and green peppers into a slow cooker. Pour in chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper and lime juice. Stir in corn and beans. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
  2. Remove chicken breasts and shred. Return to cooker and add cilantro.
  3. Simmer 15-30 more minutes to blend flavors.
  4. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and limes.
  

2 comments:

Barb said...

Hi Kam!

I love trying new recipes - sounds like a keeper. Do we need to start calling you, "Paula"?

Hugs and Love,
Barb

Amy said...

This sounds so good! I think I'll put it on the menu for next week.