Sunday, September 30, 2007

Busy Brian

So, life at "The Firm" has been pretty brutal lately, poor Brian. We haven't seen much of him. And sadly, he hasn't seen much of his bed. Each night seems to stretch longer than the last, which seems impossible. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel... this deal is just about over, and then it looks like he'll be able to breathe again. and sleep.

Lots of friends ask, so do you just never see Brian except when you're on vacation together? Well, it's not really like that. On days like today, it does seem like that. But I have to remind myself (and often Brian has to remind me when I forget to remind myself) that this work does have its lulls and its less-busy times, too. It just seems like it's hard to strike a balance -- when a deal's on, it's GO time, and there ain't no rest for the weary. Then, as soon as the deal closes, it's time to wait for the next big crunch. The unpredictability is probably the most annoying part, but once you can cope with that, it is more bearable -- I think? One friend, who is also married to a lawyer, once said it feels like the work comes in waves. A good description, if you can add that a lot of times they are great big tidal waves... but there is an ebb and flow, I suppose, even then.

Tonight a quick list of pros for this busy time of our little life together:
  • I think we try really hard to value the time we DO get to spend together, even if it's just a few minutes here and there. I know anyone can say that, and everyone should do that. But I'm glad to count our time as precious; it helps us keep a proper perspective on what's most important.
  • Three years down, less than one to go. And those pay checks keep rolling in, helping us get ready for our next steps. Can you believe it was three years ago tomorrow that we flew to London to start our married life together here?! So, we really do plan to leave this job and London by next summer.
  • Morning time together is REALLY a beautiful thing! With this job, Brian doesn't leave the house till 9 a.m. or a little later. That means, we generally have a nice relaxing morning with him at home, even if the nights are long and dreary at times. It's great that he gets to be with Sam when she's her most pleasant, happy self!
  • It has been really good for us to live here, with so many amazing travel opportunities. Though the work is brutal at times, the memories we've made and the places we've seen are definitely great highlights for us.
  • I have really come to appreciate what a wonderful, loving, patient man I married! Brian amazes me, the way he handles everything. When things are really rough at work, he never takes it out on me -- or anyone else, as far as I know. Even when he's exhausted, he always stays positive, and always has time to listen to my "one more story." He puts on an optimistic face, and gets things done in a way that inspires me. I'm so grateful to see his best during the hard times.
That's my little list for now, and I'm off to bed. May Brian join me at some point, for some much needed rest tonight!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear KamAlaine, Our prayers are with your Brian---that he'll soon be able to catch up on some rest before he DIES!! I know he doesn't like it said that he works night after night till 4:30 or 5:30 a.m., and sometimes ALL NIGHT, then goes right back to work a few hours later after TWO HOURS SLEEP, but I think he must be SUPER HUMAN!! (and he needs to be strongly commended for his extreme ENDURANCE!!)

I'm sorry for you and Sammie, too, but truly--very, VERY sorry for dear Brian! I sincerely hope 'the light at the end of the tunnel' is now in sight. I appreciate your "up" attitude, my dear, and love to see your optimism. Keep staying happy and keep on counting your blessings. Happy October! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow! Brian IS amazing! I know how I feel after being up in the night with babies and kids and being sleep deprived, and it's not very good! To do that night after night, time and time again, and not even be grumpy--WOW! You, Kamber, and Samantha are troopers also to adapt so well. We look forward to when you're back in the States and things aren't to crazy for you guys (plus, we'll get to see you, YAY!)

ManicMandee said...

We have always admired you guys and all you do. Very impressive. Very inspiring. We love you!

Rebecca said...

Kamber... what a lucky lady you are! It makes me even more hopeful for a happy future of my own.

I sure do enjoy lurking at your blog... I get (and give) tidbits in my conversations with Wade, but your blog gives the BEST details of your adventures.

Elieson Family said...

I never knew the 4 year thought. Are you still planning to go to Idaho, or will you check out DC as an option? Personally, I want to go wherever we can AFFORD.
Sorry you're in one of those seasons.. I'm sure Sara and Joyce would love to talk about it too!

Jeni said...

Oh, this is just my worst fear for when David gets out of law school. I am SO not good by myself. He's 99% sure he wants to do the JAG program for the Air Force, which the recruiter swears to me will provide us with a decent family life....we'll see. In the meantime, thoughts and prayers with you, sweet Kamber.

Joyce said...

ahhh the joys of being a lawyer's wife or should I say widow.... I am right there with you girlfriend. Let's go to lunch and shopping and spend all their money to drown our sorrows!

Marci said...

Kamber!

First of all - what fun to see all you comments on our blog! I LOVE IT! Comments make me happy. :)

And yes... I totally empathize with you. Late nights for these hubbies at those dumb firms are TERRIBLE! And it's the worst when you keep waitnig and hoping they will somehow appear on the doorstep ... and next thing you know you've stayed up WAY too late and they really aren't coming home forever. Sigh.

And yes - the unpredictability is the worst part. I hate not being able to certainly plan on anything! OH well. :)

Nice of you to list pros. Sam is oh so cute. When are you guys coming to Boston to visit???

~Marci