I know I'm a couple of days late, and I don't even have any pictures to put up tonight. But I just had to write a word on the Thanksgiving-ness we've had around here. I went out shopping for a few hours by myself this afternoon, which was heavenly. (I mean really, how often does THAT happen!?! ALL. BY. MYSELF.) That was a blessing to be grateful for, right there!
Well, as I was driving home, I just felt soooo happy and grateful for all the blessings in my life. Even though I don't always "feel" it, I'm a really, really blessed person, I realize. Brian and the kids top the list, of course; he's always sooo good to me, and we really don't ever fight (because he just doesn't.) And the kids are really sweet, good, healthy, happy kids, for the most part. And they love me, in spite of my not-so-nice mothering moments. And then there's the rest of my family, too --the sweet relationships with my parents and grandparents, and all my siblings, nephews and nieces. Then so many friends, and people who have changed my life for the better... I was thinking about all these people as I drove along listening to sappy Christmas songs on the oldies station.
Then I started tearing up, thinking how lucky I am to live in a free country, drive a car, eat food every day, turn on lights, tick the thermostat up when it's cold, flush a toilet, buy coats for my kids (which I did today), feel safe when I go to bed each night, etc., etc., etc.... The list really does go on and on, doesn't it? Lots to be thankful for, indeed! (I can say "indeed" because I've been reading Pride and Prejudice lately! Indeed!)
To celebrate Thanksgiving, we got together with our friends, the Youngstroms, and the Moons. A two-bedroom house, two dining tables, six adults, nine kids (including 5-month-old squishy twins! so yummy!). It was really fun, if a little bit crazy at times. I was so excited for all the delicious "eats!" Our/my contribution was the mashed potatoes (loaded with sour cream and butter), the sweet potatoes (with pecan crumble topping), the stuffing, and a fresh pumpkin pie (yes, I really cooked a pumpkin, scraped it, mashed it, and put it in a pie. And it was worth it, I tell you!). I also made some kick-in-the-pants, stinkin-good cranberry sauce (best batch I've made yet, in my humble opinion!), to have with our leftovers. The stuffing was the prize... apple/sausauge/fresh-herb/dried cherries stuffing. No StoveTop here, people. (And nothing against StoveTop, for those who are feeling offended at my stuffing uppity-ness.) Sadly, the stuffing was so well received, that there was only about 1/2 cup left for leftovers! Oh well. We ate ourselves silly, played a few games, and stayed until the kids were crashing the party with their whining... all good things must end when kids get cranky, eh?
Then yesterday, we went into the City, and went to the top of the Empire State Building.
Oh yes, we did.
But that's another story... with pictures. I'm sure y'all can't wait!
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you feel as blessed as I do!!
4 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving, Bishops! I wish I could have been at your dinner because it sounds so yummy! I would have loved to try your stuffing and your pie, Kamber.
Glad you had a table full - Thanksgiving is just not Thanksgiving with out a bunch of people eating lots of food.
Love, Emily S
sshhhh... don't tell blaine, but I agree about the stove top. I would have loved to try the from scratch pie. Heather even gave me pumpkins to make the filling with, but never got around to it. i caved and bought a can of filling :( maybe next year.
I am also with you on the stuffing. It sounds so good. Our family's has the sausage, but the apples with it sounds divine!
My little Suzy-Homemaker--How wonderful that you made all that nice "from-scratch" food!! It's good that you didn't follow this mom's advise when i told you to just run to WalMart and get a couple pumpkin pies and a box of Stove-Top and a can of Princella Sweet Potatoes. I was wanting to save you from so much WORK, but it sounds like all your diligent WORK paid off!! How Nice! (I thought it was interesting that you didn't happen to mention how smoke was billowing out the windows and open doors of the house where you had the dinner--due to turkey drippings on the oven floor.... I was feeling SO SORRY for your poor friend--making such memories as THAT, while trying to be such a good Hostess!!) I'm glad all turned out well, after all!
And you're right--we do INDEED have many, many blessings for which we're very Thankful!! (Good health is certainly One of them!!!) Love, Mom
Post a Comment